Widescreen mod

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kavehth

Re: Widescreen mod

Post by kavehth »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote:Every exe I try to run says: "... it's not a valid Win32 application".

Since I'm using Win XP 32-bit, maybe it's trying to use some 64-bit libraries? I Googled the problem and there is a tutorial how to export Win32 compatible applications from Visual Studio 2012+

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... windows-xp

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/ ... 20645.aspx

I will now try to run these EXE files in Ubuntu using Wine.
I've updated the links, try them now
ultraneonoirantihero

Post by ultraneonoirantihero »

So now it works on XP (and it also runs on Ubuntu using Wine) but on XP every time I try to walk into another room/scene the game crashes with the following message:

Code: Select all

C++ Runtime Library
Program: residualvm.exe
File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgdel.cpp
Line: 52
Expression: _BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)
If I try to "ignore" the error, they just keep piling up:

File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgheap.c
Line: 1322
Expression: _CtrlIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData)

File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgheap.c
Line: 1328
Expression: _BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)

Heap Corruption Detected: before free block (#524297) at 0x0277E8F8. CRT detected that application wrote to memory before start of heap buffer.
And then it finally closes itself.

Also, "Software Rendering" must be ON. If it's OFF then you can't see the addons.

Before the crash Residual console shows:

WARNING: !!!! Trying to call MakeSectorActive without a scene!
WARNING: Looking for side texture for "mo_ddtws"!
WARNING: Looking for side texture for "mo_winws"!
I'm guessing this all happens cause I'm using 32-bit Win XP.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Hmm... Opening ZIP:

Warning: skipping "residualvm.exe". The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header
kavehth

Post by kavehth »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:Hmm... Opening ZIP:

Warning: skipping "residualvm.exe". The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header
Sorry about that, i fixed them.
ultraneonoirantihero

I've tried the mod on Win 7 64-bit and I still get the same errors as on 32-bit XP. Johnny, did you manage to make it work?
kavehth

Post by kavehth »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote:I've tried the mod on Win 7 64-bit and I still get the same errors as on 32-bit XP. Johnny, did you manage to make it work?
i don't know what could be causing the problem, I've tried it on two PCs with no problems.

I've made another version and removed the changes i made to the code to scale the backgrounds, i don't think this is the problem but give it a try

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqufi8sgsru2q ... m.zip?dl=0
ultraneonoirantihero

I've tried on every system I have access to and I get the same error everywhere, even on Ubuntu using Wine:

Windows XP 32 bit
Windows Vista 64 bit
Windows 7 64 bit
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit

I've tried all mods: 480, 1080 & noRescale. Anyone else can support some feedback?
Botje

Post by Botje »

If you have an ubuntu system, why not compile the widescreen branch yourself?

$ sudo apt-get build-dep residualvm
$ git clone --branch side-textures https://github.com/Botje/residualvm.git
$ cd residualvm
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ ../configure
$ make -j4
$ sudo make install
This will overwrite the residualvm binary installed system-wide with one that has side-textures.
Additionally, any crashes you get will have debug information we can actually use.
ultraneonoirantihero

Thanks Botje, will do.

Edit 1: Could not find sdl-config > fixed with > http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/01/how-to- ... imple.html
Edit 2: Could not initialize SDL: No available video device!
JohnnyWalker2001

ultraneonoirantihero wrote:I've tried the mod on Win 7 64-bit and I still get the same errors as on 32-bit XP. Johnny, did you manage to make it work?
Yep. Works fine for me.
ultraneonoirantihero

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:
ultraneonoirantihero wrote: Johnny, did you manage to make it work?
Yep. Works fine for me.
Jesus Christ... it's like I'm on candid camera.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Try running it as Admin?
JohnnyWalker2001

Maybe you could explain EXACTLY what you're doing and we might be able to spot the problem?
ultraneonoirantihero

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:Maybe you could explain EXACTLY what you're doing and we might be able to spot the problem?
Well it should be easy, plug n play, right? But it just doesnt work.

I downloaded all of Kavehths mods (480, 1080, noScale) on Win XP. Started the 480 version, added Grim directory which contains "widescreen" folder with my png addons. It worked as regular Residual works (fully playable, no crahes) but it didnt had addons, hm, enabled software rendering... great, now it shows addons. Walked into another room - bam, it crashed. Fiddled with fullscreen, software render, aspect ratio correction, userpatch - nothing, it still crashed.

Then i tried other mod versions. Still crashed. Tried on other Windows systems. Still crashes. Tried on 32 and 64bit Ubuntu, and it still crashes.

I started to build the mod locally, using Botjes instructions, but ran into some build problems.

It is unbelievable that on every combInation of 32bit, 64bit, Windows and Linux systems it crashes, I also gave it to a friend and he has the same problem... but all you guys here use it with no problem :)

Yes, I run it as root and super user and admin. I have to check VisualBasic and dotNet redistributables. Which versions do you have?
kavehth

Post by kavehth »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote:
JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:Maybe you could explain EXACTLY what you're doing and we might be able to spot the problem?
Well it should be easy, plug n play, right? But it just doesnt work.

I downloaded all of Kavehths mods (480, 1080, noScale) on Win XP. Started the 480 version, added Grim directory which contains "widescreen" folder with my png addons. It worked as regular Residual works (fully playable, no crahes) but it didnt had addons, hm, enabled software rendering... great, now it shows addons. Walked into another room - bam, it crashed. Fiddled with fullscreen, software render, aspect ratio correction, userpatch - nothing, it still crashed.

Then i tried other mod versions. Still crashed. Tried on other Windows systems. Still crashes. Tried on 32 and 64bit Ubuntu, and it still crashes.

I started to build the mod locally, using Botjes instructions, but ran into some build problems.

It is unbelievable that on every combInation of 32bit, 64bit, Windows and Linux systems it crashes, I also gave it to a friend and he has the same problem... but all you guys here use it with no problem :)

Yes, I run it as root and super user and admin. I have to check VisualBasic and dotNet redistributables. Which versions do you have?
OK i finally was able to duplicate the error, the problem is with the software renderer. i was not able to find out exactly what the problem is, so someone with a better understanding of the code should look into it.

you should try it again with software render disabled, i don't get the sides when i run it in windowed mode only in fullscreen.