Digging into the Grim Fandango Remastered files...

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JohnnyWalker2001

Re: Digging into the Grim Fandango Remastered files...

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

That's great news! I can't wait to see this in action. Will it allow us to add our own textures, do you think?

Also: I guess maybe they blocked good_times?
bgbennyboy

Post by bgbennyboy »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:That's great news! I can't wait to see this in action. Will it allow us to add our own textures, do you think?

Also: I guess maybe they blocked good_times?
It's just for dumping+viewing stuff but a texture repacker should be trivial for I or someone else to make.

They might not have blocked good_times, I just haven't been able to successfully activate it. Someone else might have more luck.
JohnnyWalker2001

Well, it would be fantastic if someone could write such a problem. I'd really appreciate it. There's plenty of textures that still need some love :-/
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

@bgbennyboy pardon my ignorance, though what does the registry contain? After just running the first scene, mine has something about camera, something about suit, and otherwise it's chock full of 0x00.
Around 99% of the file in fact.
bgbennyboy

Post by bgbennyboy »

Nitrus wrote:@bgbennyboy pardon my ignorance, though what does the registry contain? After just running the first scene, mine has something about camera, something about suit, and otherwise it's chock full of 0x00.
Around 99% of the file in fact.
Grim used to store its settings in the registry with keys like GrimMannyState="Suit". The remastered version appears to serialise those settings into registry.sav along with all the new settings such as windowed etc. As you say though, its mostly full of 0x00 - so there's no obvious pattern to follow when modifying it. This means that we cant manually add the old good_times key into the file
JohnnyWalker2001

If someone could decompile registry.sav then it's possible we could add "good_times" back in, then?
bgbennyboy

Post by bgbennyboy »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:If someone could decompile registry.sav then it's possible we could add "good_times" back in, then?
I assume so, but there could be other checks that stop developer mode from enabling. The lua scripts still check for good_times to enable developer mode.

Also, I've now updated DoubleFine Explorer to support Grim Remastered.
JohnnyWalker2001

That's great news, but I had some weird issues extracting Grim Fandango's files...

I tried to dump all from a file (commentary.lab) on drive M: to H: and I kept getting that error. Tried running as Admin. No luck :-/
bgbennyboy

Post by bgbennyboy »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:That's great news, but I had some weird issues extracting Grim Fandango's files...

I tried to dump all from a file (commentary.lab) on drive M: to H: and I kept getting that error. Tried running as Admin. No luck :-/
Can you describe exact steps please? I cant seem reproduce that, its dumping fine for me
bgbennyboy

Post by bgbennyboy »

Never mind, fixed it, uploading a new version now.
JohnnyWalker2001

JohnnyWalker2001

Lol. I guess you figured it out before the video was finished processing...!
JohnnyWalker2001

bgbennyboy wrote:It's just for dumping+viewing stuff but a texture repacker should be trivial for I or someone else to make.
I've been holding off to see what state DF leaves Remastered, but I think it's getting close to final now. Maybe one more patch. I'm pretty sure an app to allow us to repack textures is going to be VERY useful for any future work. (Even better would be some way of automating the process so I could easily supply a patch to people for new textures -- but that's a dream.)

At the moment there's full XBox 360 Controller support (ie. images for the buttons, etc.) built into Remastered -- but they're disabled. I've manually switched the images from the PS4 defaults in my version, but it would be awesome if I could supply a patch to rename the file in the LAB for people. No idea how feasible that is... but a repacker would DEFINITELY be welcomed right now!
bgbennyboy

Post by bgbennyboy »

If you set out exactly what you're looking for (and I have time) I'll knock something up.
I imagine you want something like this:
Select folder of dds images
Select original materials.lab file
Tool builds a new materials.lab, containing the replacements and remaining original textures, automatically converting the dds to mcb.