Post by fischkopf »

Dead project is dead... I guess i saw that coming. :cry:
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Fischkopf wrote:Dead project is dead... I guess i saw that coming. :cry:
It's not dead! It's just sleeping! :)
giucam

Post by giucam »

Does anyone know if there is any 3d remake of a grim set somewhere on the net?
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

What do you mean a "grim set"? Every model in the game? If so, then not to my knowledge..
giucam

Post by giucam »

No, i mean a scene, like manny's office.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

I recall seeing Manny's office somewhere on the net, but the author had not made it available for download... If it's no secret, what do you need one for? I may be able to make one for you. Do you need it with absoulute precision? Because the dimensions of a room are a little tricky to recreate with the perspective and all...
EDIT: Also, do you need it textured as well? And which set did you have in mind?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giucam

Post by giucam »

Well, i have no fully formed idea in mind. I wanted to see how a full 3d grim would look like. Also they could be used to make new camera angles to use in the game in some tricky places.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

I see what you mean. I'll see if I can find one.

On another note, regarding this project, anyone still interested can continue to model, the current 3D tools are usable, but need to be fixed for some of the latter characters and models. The process is still the same, and documented in one of the previous post.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

So, I had no luck searching the net, but I had a bit of free time, so I modelled a bit of the office. It's hard to get the right dimensions out of the warped perspectives, but it's pretty close. The lighting's a bit off, and it's missing a couple of models and detail, but here it is:

Also, seeing that I don't have much free time, I don't know if I'd be able to texture it, it requires textures that aren't available, and will take time to recreate. Also, because I kinda speed-modelled it, the geometry isn't exactly texture-mapping friendly.

P.S.: This image is composed of a regular render and AO. To get this available ingame, it would take some shader programming. SDL and OGL make this available, to somebody who has the nerves and the time to do it. Manny is from one of the previous GFDeluxe efforts, so skeleton and animation keying for him is non-existant. It could be extracted from the games' files, but I think it would be simpler just to do it manually. I will not take part in any of those tasks, time is a luxury to me :)

EDIT: Except if you only want it to create new static scenes, as you said, for some of the tricky places. This shouldn't be too difficult, only it will require adding new cameras for the game. This, I have no knowledge of.
YakBizzarro

Post by YakBizzarro »

Wow, it's impressive!
giucam

Post by giucam »

Amazing!
Can we have the source? :)
EDIT: Except if you only want it to create new static scenes, as you said, for some of the tricky places. This shouldn't be too difficult, only it will require adding new cameras for the game. This, I have no knowledge of.
Adding a new camera setup should be simple code-wise. The hard part is having the background and zbuffer.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

I've often wondered whether partial 3D models could be generated from the existing zbuffers?

The information there could be used to detect roughly coplanar regions, which can be converted into polygons (or partially transparent quads or something).

There would be the additional challenge of mapping the 2d bitmap points into perspective-less texture sets, which might be quite a math-heavy problem.

There would also be the problem of areas of the set that are offscreen or eclipsed by foreground objects. And areas where the zbuffer has been omitted.
Some of that could be extrapolated/repainted though, particularly when parts are visible from multiple camera angles.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Sorry for the long delay, had some trouble with the exporter, some bad triangulation occurred due to previous carelessness on my part. Here's the LINK.

Some things are left as they were. The ceiling is too big, I left it that way to leave space for further scaling if need be, I didn't trim the wall ornaments because I was too lazy, and Manny's chair and the ceiling lamp are missing too.
counting_pine wrote:There would be the additional challenge of mapping the 2d bitmap points into perspective-less texture sets, which might be quite a math-heavy problem.
That can even be done in a 3D software. If you get the perspective right and align the objects, you can project an image onto them, but the images are bad, they are badly lit, too dark mostly in the corners, and a lot of needed angles are missing. I mean they are great to look at, but not to try and extrapolate anything useful out of them.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Bah! This forum is supposed to send me an email as soon as there's any new messages, but for some reason they're not getting through. I hope to inject some more life into the project soon!

The next thing will be a progress update so we can all see where we are.
ramine

Post by ramine »

Have you had any luck getting HD models loading? Is there some sort of open project page? would be good to see how people can contribute!