Lands of Lore controls

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Switch port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TimeDevouncer

Lands of Lore controls

Post by TimeDevouncer »

Hi, first of all sorry for my bad english.

It's possible to change or remap the controls for this game?

Thanks!
rsn8887

Re: Lands of Lore controls

Post by rsn8887 »

Do you mean Joycon or Touch controls?

Concerning Joycon controls: Remapping Joycon controls is not possible at the moment. I will try to implement an optional control scheme similar to what exists on the PSP port. One would press a combo like R+L+Start or so to toggle between the default controls and the other control scheme (1st person controls). In the 1st person controls, L/R would be strafe in Lands of Lore, and DPAD left/right would be turn. R+DPAD would press F1-F4 to attack with your characters etc. This is not yet implemented, but I am working on it.

Concerning touch controls: I just implemented a direct touch feature. It will be in the next nightly build (June 14 or 15 or so or later). You will find a new option in Options->Controls, called "Touchpad Mouse Mode", which can be turned on or off. If you turn it off, the pointer will jump to your finger directly. This will make touch controls in some games like Lands of Lore a bit easier.

More details about the controls are here: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... ndo_Switch
TimeDevouncer

Post by TimeDevouncer »

I'm talking about joycon controls, yes, the optional control sounds awesome! I can't wait to try it.

About the touch controls, very useful!

Thanks for your work :wink:
MAN-biker

Post by MAN-biker »

1. First of all, THANK YOU for your work!
2. Today i tested LoL on my switch (switch-master-912bbf36) and found some... (bug?) in controls:
TURN LEFT = (<) + [R]
all fine, as expected, but
TURN RIGHT = (^) + [R]
but (>) + [R] expected!
Can you fix it or explain if it'd not a bug?
3. Can you remove MD5 check for L01.PAK for RUSSIAN version (I'm working on RUSSIAN TRANSLATION for this game and every new build of my translation, L01.PAK is changes.

Hey! This trouble with controls was 10 years ago in PSP port!
Look here, Pix resolved it as very good solution.
Can you make the same in Nintendo Switch?

P.S.: sorry for my horrible English
MAN-biker

Post by MAN-biker »

New "remp feature" is great, now we can customize controls as we like.
But there is new trouble at NSW port: associated mouse buttons don't work, at least, LMB usually binfed to (B) gamepad button.
And I think RMB binfed to gamepad (A) too.
The only way to use a mouse buttons in game is a touch controls, but it's not handy to use it in gameplay.
Fix it, please.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

It works for me using latest code.

Please check again with tomorrow’s buildbot version. If it still doesn’t work for you, please provide step by step instructions how to reproduce the bug. Thanks.
MAN-biker

Post by MAN-biker »

rsn8887 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:36 pm It works for me using latest code.
Please check again with tomorrow’s buildbot version. If it still doesn’t work for you, please provide step by step instructions how to reproduce the bug. Thanks.
Still NOT work (tried "latest development build").
(B) button (or any other, assigned for "interact"=LMB) works only in scumm main menu or in "ingame options" menu, works fine in other games, but it didn't work in Lands of Lore game (tried Russian CD and 2 versions of floppy English - all the same.
Tried to remove scummvm.ini, don't change anything defaults, just add a game and run it - as soon as I'm in game engine, I cant interact (can't type at onscreen keyboard, can't press on any selected string in game menu. But if I press (PLUS)=F5 menu button, then press (MINUS)=onscreen keyboard one, I CAN interact, (but it's useless, because options window behind the keyboard overlay).
So, ANY button assigned to "INTERACT" don't work in Lands of Lore (i tried reset all buttons, tried assign interact to X,Y,B,A - all works fine in scumm menu, but not in LoL game!
By the way, works fine in Kyrandia 1 & 2 games too, but not in LoL.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

yes I can reproduce the problem here. It was introduced with the recent keymapper.

Gamepad buttons as mouse buttons works fine for games that don't have a game-specific keymap. But some games like Lands of Lore and Ultima8 now have game-specific keymaps which are missing the mouse button actions.

For example lands of lore has a keymap with "move up/down/left/right" remappable, which are cursor keys, but no entry in the keymap for "interact" e.g. left mouse button. So then the game controller button simply cannot be mapped to left mouse button.

I think the solution will be to add a left mouse button/right mouse button action to ALL games with game-specific keymaps.

In addition, some games like LOL and Ultima8 with game-specific keymaps seem to be missing default controller mappings. For example, I would have expected in LOL that move up/down/left/right would be mapped to DPAD by default.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Ok the problem with buttons not working in Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder and Ultima 8 Pagan should be fixed on the next daily build.
MAN-biker

Post by MAN-biker »

So, what about controls in Lands of Lore now?
Is it possible to remap or add alternative control scheme (by hotkeys like it was done in Pix's builds for PSP - Image+Image+Image). In this case, controls are:

Image - move FORWARD, Image - move BACKWARD, Image - TURN LEFT, Image - TURN RIGHT

Image - STRAFE LEFT, Image - STRAFE RIGHT.

Image + Image - 1st char attack.
Image + Image - 2nd char attack.
Image + Image - 3rd char attack.
Image + Image - 4th char attack.

Image - MENU.

Or make NORMAL remap for ALL usable keys in game?
There are MANY buttons on NSW controller, so make NORMAL REMAP for Lands of Lore, PLEASE!!!!!
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Use the keymapper to map buttons any way you wish. Double buttons like in your example are not currenlty supported, as far as I know. Concerning default mapping schemes, I think users just have to do their own mappings using the new keymapper.

To use keymapper functionality, make sure you use "latest development version" for Switch from here:
https://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

This functionality will also be in official release ScummVM 2.2.0, to be released soon.

If you are not happy with the keymapper as it is, you are welcome to make improvements to the code, and make pull requests on GitHub.

Screaming in all caps at developers demanding change, like you did in your last post, is rude. It will probably get you nowhere.
MAN-biker

Post by MAN-biker »

Remap feature works fine, but LMB (and may be RMB) - not!
By default, RMB=(A) and LMB=(B), but impossible to make a "click" of LMB by pressing (B) joy-con button in many cases. For example, it didn't work in MAIN MENU or impossible to make a strike by clicking on "weapon attack" icon (but it's possible when using magic skills).
But touchscreen taps works fine. Strange thing.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Thanks for reporting this. I think the remaining issues are probably related to this known bug on the bugtracker:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/12978 "KEYMAPPER: Separate the virtual mouse from the global keymap"

So it probably affects other ports as well. I don't understand the keymapper code enough at the moment to fix it.