Controls on HP Touchpad

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

phunimator

Controls on HP Touchpad

Post by phunimator »

Hi there,

First i`d like t congratulate the developer on the webOS port, it plays amazingly well on my touchpad!

I looked at the wiki and did some searching but I can't find any information on the controls for the HP Touchpad that work to bring up the menu or keyboard. Once I start a game, the only gesture that works is the flick up from the bottom to go into card mode. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong please? Thanks in advance and look forward to the progress on this excellent port.

-P
kayahr
ScummVM Porter

Re: Controls on HP Touchpad

Post by kayahr »

phunimator wrote:Once I start a game, the only gesture that works is the flick up from the bottom to go into card mode. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong please?
ScummVM currently relies on a physical keyboard and on the gesture area which unfortunately is not available on the Touchpad. Touchpad support is currently in the making. As far as I know you will be able to do a up and down gesture on the screen to bring up the menu and the virtual keyboard. But this is not yet integrated in the official releases. Please check out this fork:

http://nexapps.net/scummvm/

You have to download the IPK from there and install it manually. Please let us know if it works for you.
Zodzilla

Post by Zodzilla »

Hello kayahr!

I tried the fork and it seems to be working swimmingly, so thanks for posting this.

At this point, I guess all that all the app needs at this point for the touchpad is some sort of dual finger tap for right click and some sort of way to press escape. I know it's beta and am not sure if you're working on this fork, so I was wondering if maybe there's someone or somewhere I should contact about these suggestions.

Thanks again for answering phunimator's question! Scummvm has always been a great application and having it on a tablet to go means I get to play DOTT anywhere, which can only mean amazing things.
kayahr
ScummVM Porter

Post by kayahr »

Zodzilla wrote:At this point, I guess all that all the app needs at this point for the touchpad is some sort of dual finger tap for right click and some sort of way to press escape.
Right click should work the same way as on the phones:

* Tap held for >0.5s without movement: Right mouse button click
* Tap held for >1s without movement: Middle mouse button click

Missing Escape key is an issue though, maybe a screen swipe to the left could be implemented for this.
I know it's beta and am not sure if you're working on this fork, so I was wondering if maybe there's someone or somewhere I should contact about these suggestions.
I think it's best to do this here. I notify the developer who works on Touchpad support to watch this forum for questions and suggestions.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

kayahr wrote:
Zodzilla wrote:At this point, I guess all that all the app needs at this point for the touchpad is some sort of dual finger tap for right click and some sort of way to press escape.
Right click should work the same way as on the phones:

* Tap held for >0.5s without movement: Right mouse button click
* Tap held for >1s without movement: Middle mouse button click

Missing Escape key is an issue though, maybe a screen swipe to the left could be implemented for this.
I know it's beta and am not sure if you're working on this fork, so I was wondering if maybe there's someone or somewhere I should contact about these suggestions.
I think it's best to do this here. I notify the developer who works on Touchpad support to watch this forum for questions and suggestions.
Hi There,

Just writing to say thanks for letting me know about this fork!

It plays brilliantly on the Touchpad! I'm looking forward to playing over some of my old classics over this bank holiday weekend, thanks for the implementations for the keyboard and menu!

Esc key would be the next thing, but for me it's already close to being pretty perfect... I will test and report back anything more soon. Thanks once more.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

OK so I tested the fork a little bit and found a few issues...

Basically, because of the gesture to bring up the keyboard and menu, when you are dragging the cursor around the screen they will suddenly pop up and interrupt your game. I was try to play The Dig last night, and it interrupted the game so many times that it was too frustrating to even clear the introduction part.

Also I think the inclusion of an escape key is definitely necessary as there are some very long intro's I've seen many times before that I'd like to skip.

With the controls, is there an option to have direct control of the pointer by tapping in certain areas of the screen, instead of dragging it like a touchpad instead? Also to fix the issue with getting the keyboard and mouse to show, how about having some buttons in the very corners of the screen to tap?

If the developer wants to stick with gestures, is it possible to implement multitouch swipes instead like the iPhone/iPad versions?

Last thing I was wondering was if MT32 midi could get incorporated at all? I possess a real unit, and the 2 roms to have this emulated within SCUMMVM, I find the midi on the HP Touchpad isn't very nice in general hehe.

Thanks again for all the hard work! :D
BinoX

Post by BinoX »

A little bug found with the Touchpad port as well...

If you turn aspect ratio correction on you can no longer move the mouse down as far as the options menu to change any more options. You have to then edit the config file using USB mode to get rid of it.
johnny rico

Post by johnny rico »

Hi, you can assign another key to quit, read this:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-deve ... ost3063480

Hope this will help !
warpdesign

Post by warpdesign »

Good thing the fork is available for testing: thanks!

Now for the already mention control problems, I have some suggestions:

- what about having some overlay option to control which button a tap will cause (thus forgetting about the tap+xx sec to change between both). You select which button is selected, and here you go: taping will press this button.

- tap somewhere causes mousemove there + click here would be a must too
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Alright guys, be kind -- my C++ is rusty and this is my first time compiling anything on webOS. I took the nexapps fork above and made a few really really simple tweaks (we're talking, I changed all of about 2 characters in the source code). I'd like to do a little more development in the future to give us a better control scheme and an escape button and all that fun stuff, but for now, this should clear up annoyances:
  • Swapped the swipe directions for keyboard and menu. You pull the keyboard up, and pull the menu down. That makes a bit more sense logistically, but functionally, this means no accidental triggering of the card view when you're trying to get to the menu (for those with advanced gestures enabled).
  • To trigger the menu, start at the top of the screen (below the bezel) and swipe the whole way down into the bottom bezel.
  • To trigger the keyboard, start at the bottom of the screen (above the bezel) and swipe the whole way up into the top bezel.
Hopefully that will eliminate the accidental keyboard/menu triggers and make things a little more playable. Enjoy!

http://seriouslyslick.com/scummvm/com.g ... 05_all.ipk
warpdesign

Post by warpdesign »

Thanks for your work!

Could you make the updated source code available as well. I'll take a look if I can find some free time. Especially for the escape stuff.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Thanks a lot TomFrost!

I tried your build a few moments ago and it is very nice! I like that the interruptions are not there anymore.

I have only tried one game so far, which is Monkey Island 2, and unfortunately there is one problem where when you enter the graveyard on scabb island, the SCUMMVM crashes out. I think it might be something to do with when the bats fly as you enter, you see them move for a second and then it crashes...

I haven't tried this with anything else yet, but will report back asap.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Thanks for the bug report! Two questions:
1. Is that an error that you also have with the nexapps fork posted earlier in the thread?
2. If no, are any of your sound/music files compressed into flac format?
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

TomFrost wrote:Thanks for the bug report! Two questions:
1. Is that an error that you also have with the nexapps fork posted earlier in the thread?
2. If no, are any of your sound/music files compressed into flac format?
Hi There,

Thanks for the reply! I did another test, and it seems the bug affects the nexapps forks as well. Please let me know if there is anything else you'd like me to test.

-P