Testing the OpenGL graphics manager by vgvgf

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mr_Nutz

Testing the OpenGL graphics manager by vgvgf

Post by Mr_Nutz »

Hello there

I've read here http://vgvgf.com.ar/gsoc/2010/07/28/ope ... ost-there/ that openGL graphics backend for Scummvm was completed this summer.

According to other posts, it's coming in 1.3.0, but I build my own Linux Scummvm, so I'd like to test the new OpenGL backend so I can stop using the framebuffer for tear-free graphics.

So, could you please provide instructions? I've already cloned the main git repository here:
[url]git://scummvm.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/scummvm/scummvm[/url]

but I don't know where to go from here. Is there an special brach with the OpenGL backend? How can I build that branch?

regards
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Just build the latest sources.
OpenGL has been merged for some time now

After completion start ScummVM, go to Options and change the gfx mode to one of the four available OpenGL modes

should be as easy as that
Mr_Nutz

Post by Mr_Nutz »

The latest sources? Do you mean the latest official downloadable sources and not the git ones??
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I think that git repo is empty. Try the svn one.
https://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svn ... mmvm/trunk
Mr_Nutz

Post by Mr_Nutz »

ok, I've finally built the openGL version.
The problem is that I can enable vsync at driver level, and it works of course, but most games update screen 70 times per second (look at Ween intro sequence, it's only smooth in a 70HZ video mode).

So, te question now is: How can I specify (commandline, sources or config file) what resolution do I want for each game? Having OpenGL is meant for arbitrary resolution and scaling, but it seems scumvmm sets itself to 640x480 even if I specify OpenGL original.

What if I want to run a game in OpenGL mode in 640x481@70HZ, for example? (Yes, I have that kind of resolution in my xorg.conf, to force certain refresh rates, and it works in emulators and souch).

thanks!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I don't think that it's possible (yet) with the OpenGL implementation in svn...

I know vgvgf had later sources on his GSOC branch (because i did some tests for him) but for some reason he vanished and those snapshots never made it into the main tree.
There it was possible to set a global resolution for the launcher and (quite possibly) for each individual game through the game options (i think this one still needs to be implemented, though)

Hope it helps
Mr_Nutz

Post by Mr_Nutz »

Thanks, Raziel.

Well, somewhere in the sources the screen modes are set, so I'll look for that and change it to suit my needs.
I'll write here about results. 70HZ games must be run at 70HZ! :D