windows 64 version help.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

YukoValis

windows 64 version help.

Post by YukoValis »

I am trying to install the games I want to play on my computer. I know it could use ScummVM once I install it, but I can't get that far. When I try it says the install isn't compatible with my version of windows. Something about 64 and 32 bit. I tried to right click and use compatibility settings but to no avail. Is there anything I can do? a Program that will install it for me? some place where I can download it unpacked to play off of?
KuroShiro

Re: windows 64 version help.

Post by KuroShiro »

YukoValis wrote:I am trying to install the games I want to play on my computer. I know it could use ScummVM once I install it, but I can't get that far. When I try it says the install isn't compatible with my version of windows. Something about 64 and 32 bit. I tried to right click and use compatibility settings but to no avail. Is there anything I can do? a Program that will install it for me? some place where I can download it unpacked to play off of?
The whole point of ScummVM is that you don't need to install the games. Read the first section of the readme. You only need to copy the required data files for the game you want to play to your hard drive, point ScummVM to the directory they are in, and play.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Kuroshiro: You may be wrong. Several games (e.g. Coktel Vision games) require to be install first, as the data files are packed and/or splitted on the floppies.

YukoValis: Do you have a problem when you try to install the game(s), or when you try to install ScummVM?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Strangerke wrote:Kuroshiro: You may be wrong. Several games (e.g. Coktel Vision games) require to be install first, as the data files are packed and/or splitted on the floppies.

YukoValis: Do you have a problem when you try to install the game(s), or when you try to install ScummVM?
This is only true for some game engines, though. Some engines can read game files even if they are copied from the floppies themselves, e.g. kyra. Usually, you don't need to install the supported games, but merely copy their files. Of course, as you said, there are exceptions, like some GOB games, and some AGOS games (e.g. Feeble Files)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Hm, the data files page does not mention that the GOB games need to be installed. It only mentions this for Feeble Files. Md5, if you know more, it would be excellent if yo could fix the data files page by adding that, or alternatively by poking DrMcCoy to do that.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

It only concerns DOS floppy games. I could add that too, as I'm also on gob. I'll check that this evening with Md5.
YukoValis

Post by YukoValis »

Strangerke wrote:Kuroshiro: You may be wrong. Several games (e.g. Coktel Vision games) require to be install first, as the data files are packed and/or splitted on the floppies.

I can install scummVM just fine, but I hit add games and it finds nothing to use in the folder I have the games files in. So I need to install the game, or find some place to outright download the data files. Problem is when I click install on the game it says it won't because I'm using 64 bit.
Sven

Post by Sven »

It would help us if you told us what game you're talking about, and what (if any) messages ScummVM prints on the console when you try to add it.
YukoValis

Post by YukoValis »

Sven wrote:It would help us if you told us what game you're talking about, and what (if any) messages ScummVM prints on the console when you try to add it.
It is doing this to all of the games I'm trying. Space quest 3, Quest for glory 1, Robin hood conquest of the longbow.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

YukoValis wrote:
Sven wrote:It would help us if you told us what game you're talking about, and what (if any) messages ScummVM prints on the console when you try to add it.
It is doing this to all of the games I'm trying. Space quest 3, Quest for glory 1, Robin hood conquest of the longbow.
Doing what? Which version of ScummVM are you running? You don't need to install any Sierra games, you just need to copy all their data files in the same folder and point ScummVM there
Collector

Post by Collector »

There were several later Sierra floppy games where the resource files were spanned across several floppies and the audio resources that needed to be decompressed by the installer before they were usable.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Collector wrote:There were several later Sierra floppy games where the resource files were spanned across several floppies and the audio resources that needed to be decompressed by the installer before they were usable.
I was going to say the same.
I believe during the SCI testing and installing the floppy Freddy Pharkas diskette floppies - each floppy has the resource file and it has the same name on each floppy. I think the other SCI floppies I have have the resource files numbered in sequence from 0 (zero) up.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

SCI11 games and up only have a resource.000 file. SCI0-SCI10 games have multiple resource files starting at resource.001.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Yes, but the overwhelming odds were than I was right, and I was :lol:

The problem is probably that there is no listing for the required datafiles of SCI games on the wiki in spite of them being supported. To the OP, for the games you have you should just need to copy everything from the original media to your hard drive to add the game.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah....unless the QFG1 he's referring to is the VGA remake (which is SCI1.1). A lot of people simply refer to the remake as QFG1 since the original EGA release was called HQ1 and simply make the distinction that way.