SCI Infamous bug: fixed yet?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BobbinT

SCI Infamous bug: fixed yet?

Post by BobbinT »

For all veteran Sierra gamers out there, some of you should already know the big bug that ails almost every SCI games: Timer!

Remember the time when game over suddenly occured when the hero hasn't been given a chance to move at all?
Remember the waiting period that takes forever watching Larry dances with unlimited energy on stage at LSL3?
Remember action sequence that runs way too fast even when the speed slider has been lowered all the way?

Those are the examples of the nightmare we faced when trying to play the games on current specs. Heck, even back in my day it was already way too fast when playing on Pentium 166.

It was almost impossible to play normally until a tool was introduced: SloMo! Just run this when triggering those problematic events and it all goes away (hopefully). Still, it kinda annoys me when I have to resort to that.

Then DosBox came and save the day! We can all play DOS games with almost faithful speed.

And now: ScummVM include the support to play SCI games. What a joy!

Still... I'm kinda curious:
Do you guys actually fixed this big bad boy? Any improvement given to it yet?

I only played 3 SCI games so far, and although 2 of them played normally, one was actually have some sequences played too fast.

It would actually be super great if you guys could remedy this super bug that haunts the original games. :D

What do you guys think?

Btw, are there any infamous SCI bug besides this one? I'm still trying to collect my memories from the past. :lol:
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

SCI0, SCI0.1, and SCI10 games all seem to run at perfect speeds. SCI1.1 games still seem to run some things to quickly as if it were running on a modern uber-fast CPU. I haven't really run into any game breaking things, but it's more of the aesthetic things. An example: In SQ5 when the rats run out of the bridge simulator when Roger Wilco exits during the intro. My guess is that they just haven't completed proper speed implementation for those minor things yet?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: SCI Infamous bug: fixed yet?

Post by sev »

BobbinT wrote:I only played 3 SCI games so far, and although 2 of them played normally, one was actually have some sequences played too fast.
If you encounter those places, that would be really nice (and an appropriate form of saying 'thanks' to the team) if you submit the bugreports on our tracker. Without help of the users developers will move much slower, e.g. they'd better spend time on improving things than on replaying the games over and over again.

Eugene
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

I do understand that. This discussion actually talk about the original bugs, not bugs from ScummVM.

And I do appreciate the special effort u guys made. Simply having SCI supported already makes me very happy. :D I just want to explore further more, and hopefully not making too much rouse.

Besides, I find it actually amusing for these bugs. Probably because how those things affects me in the past and found out that ScummVM can actually deliver much more perfected gaming experience. :D