Sound Emulation Questions

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

shilsdon

Sound Emulation Questions

Post by shilsdon »

Hi,

I'm a bit new to the emulation world - and ScummVM in particular - and I have a couple of newbie questions.

Having read the readme files I want to try Windows MIDI - what soundfonts would be best to use and where would I find them?

Secondly, does anyone know where I can get the MT-32 PCM ROM files?

Cheers,

-Stephen-
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Re: Sound Emulation Questions

Post by joachimeberhard »

shilsdon wrote:Hi,

I'm a bit new to the emulation world - and ScummVM in particular - and I have a couple of newbie questions.

Having read the readme files I want to try Windows MIDI - what soundfonts would be best to use and where would I find them?

Secondly, does anyone know where I can get the MT-32 PCM ROM files?

Cheers,

-Stephen-
For Windows MIDI, you usually don't need any soundfonts, and it sounds pretty decent, IMO.

The mt32 romfiles have to be extracted from a real mt32 device, and are not legal for download.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Sound Emulation Questions

Post by sev »

joachimeberhard wrote: The mt32 romfiles have to be extracted from a real mt32 device, and are not legal for download.
afaik, legal situation of MT-32 ROMs is still not cleared. Roland once requested Canadacow (original MT-32 emu author) to remove them from his site due to copyright infridgement. But later it was find out that Roland did not perform all steps on properly registering their patent back then. So situation is not still clear. There were attempts to create GPLed alternative to the ROM, but none of them was successful.

Eugene
clem

Post by clem »

Roland once requested Canadacow (original MT-32 emu author) to remove [the roms] from his site due to copyright infridgement. But later it was find out that Roland did not perform all steps on properly registering their patent back then.
sorry if my reply sounds dumb, but do they really need to patent their software to make it copyrighted? if they didn't patent the mt32 hardware itself correctly it might be ok to write an emu for it, but I guess program code automatically becomes copyrighted when you write/release it.

*scratches head*
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote:sorry if my reply sounds dumb, but do they really need to patent their software to make it copyrighted? if they didn't patent the mt32 hardware itself correctly it might be ok to write an emu for it, but I guess program code automatically becomes copyrighted when you write/release it.

*scratches head*
I think it may have something to do with the US not becoming a party to the Berne Convention until 1989 (the MT-32 was released in 1987), but I'm too sketchy on the details to say anything for sure.