Dragon History English cleanup testing

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bman

Dragon History English cleanup testing

Post by bman »

I need some playtesters to check my progress (55%) on the english version cleanup for Draci History. I would like some validation or improvement of humor/grammer/other. PM if you have time and want to receive a test RETEZCE.DFW file.

The final product will be submitted to the Draci History owner (http://www.ucw.cz/draci-historie/index-en.html)

Thanks
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I don't mind if it doesn't have to be done straight away and there's no time limit. I've already played it once.
Are you hoping that No Sense will offer the file on their site?
http://www.ucw.cz/draci-historie/index-en.html

Checking the site again is that request for a English patch new? I don't remember it from when I downloaded the game.
Those English scripts in .txt files that they linked to - I'd need those as well so that I can compare what No Sense want to say to how you have cleaned it up. If you get my drift. I guess I could download those myself.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

It would be a better idea to Just post a link to the English scripts for the game and ask for assistance:

Dragon History English Script

Anyone who has an interest in correcting the English translation can just download a file, correct it, and then re-post it (just by viewing most of the files with your browser you can virtually see what needs fixing). If you get enough collaboration with the project it'll be more effective than compiling and play testing multiple DFW files at various stages of clean-up.
bman

Post by bman »

DCDayDreamer wrote:If you get enough collaboration with the project it'll be more effective than compiling and play testing multiple DFW files at various stages of clean-up.
I agree, but unfortunately I already made 85% of the grammer/vocab changes manually. I could go back and fix the code later.
Red_Breast wrote:Are you hoping that No Sense will offer the file on their site?
No, I just got a bug about fixing this text. It would not really be a patch until I redo the source files. The questions are coded in other files and lend some original charm when playing.
Red_Breast wrote: Checking the site again is that request for a English patch new? I don't remember it from when I downloaded the game.
Those English scripts in .txt files that they linked to - I'd need those as well so that I can compare what No Sense want to say to how you have cleaned it up.
The problem is recompiling takes away scummvm access since the CRC changes. I found a script by someone that just lets me edit and recompile the main text file and keeps the CRC the same, essentially letting me continue playtesting. I was hoping other people would be interested in playing it through and offering some more humor or grammer fixes.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

It seems to me the way things should proceed is this.
When finished send the patch to Robert Spalek. Quote from their site - "any kind of patch is appreciated".
Once they have a patch then maybe somebody could add it's CRC so ScummVM checks for 2 different types of CRC. The patched and unpatched.
My understanding of all this is not that good so it might be that what I have suggested is not possible. But whatever I think it would be good to get in touch with Robert Spalek about this and ask how he'd like to see it happen. I know he GPLed the game but to me it's 'the done thing' - and if you're going to do something do it properly.
bman

Post by bman »

Red_Breast wrote:It seems to me the way things should proceed is this.
When finished send the patch to Robert Spalek. Quote from their site - "any kind of patch is appreciated".
Once they have a patch then maybe somebody could add it's CRC so ScummVM checks for 2 different types of CRC. The patched and unpatched.
My understanding of all this is not that good so it might be that what I have suggested is not possible. But whatever I think it would be good to get in touch with Robert Spalek about this and ask how he'd like to see it happen. I know he GPLed the game but to me it's 'the done thing' - and if you're going to do something do it properly.
I have a modified text file that does NOT require a ScummVM CRC change, so the initial 'patch' is just a cleanup fix. I just wanted to get other opinions and checks to get it cleaned up more thoroughly. I was going to send him a final attempt rather than a WIP. If I cannot find other folks to give any feedback I will submit it as is.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

bman wrote:I have a modified text file that does NOT require a ScummVM CRC change, so the initial 'patch' is just a cleanup fix. I just wanted to get other opinions and checks to get it cleaned up more thoroughly. I was going to send him a final attempt rather than a WIP. If I cannot find other folks to give any feedback I will submit it as is.
Can you post the text file?, I'll gladly take a look at it, I'm sure Red_Breast would too (perhaps quite a few others too when this topic becomes more popular).
bman

Post by bman »

DCDayDreamer wrote: Can you post the text file?, I'll gladly take a look at it, I'm sure Red_Breast would too (perhaps quite a few others too when this topic becomes more popular).
I posted it here

I have sent it to Robert Špalek as well and he will incorporate it into a source release that can be updated for Scummvm.

Now all I need is some volunteers to proof read and make humor suggestions to get this to a release stage. I have noticed some text length issues that cause reading lags (i.e. too much to keep up) and some inconsistent text ownership (that I tried to fix with shuffling text around). I tried to stay faithful to the original english text conversion where possible and made some nuance changes where necessary.

This can be played with the walkthrough on the DH page but some of the humor is in looking at objects and interacting with the environment. I welcome any feedback.

Thanks
bman

Post by bman »

An update is available here.

About 95% converted. Grammer about 99%. Humor ... could use some help.
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

bman wrote:An update is available here.

About 95% converted. Grammer about 99%. Humor ... could use some help.
Can you post the text file before you run the script to create the DFW file?, it would make it a lot easier to proofread.
bman

Post by bman »

DCDayDreamer wrote:Can you post the text file before you run the script to create the DFW file?, it would make it a lot easier to proofread.
compiled
uncompiled
original
bman

Post by bman »

The English source has been updated on the Dragon History site. Feel free to recompile and test (do not replace init.dfw). There still remain some nuance issues since the primary focus was english cleanup, but feel free to point out any actual mistakes that detract from the game.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

As I thought I just haven't had time for this.
Looking at the compiling instructions I got totally lost. I couldn't even tell if Windows was needed as the instructions start using Unix type paths ($/Dir) and at some point change to Windows (C:\Dir)
I don't know if I've said it before but I wasn't that impressed with the game and it's probably throwing a mental block when I try to understand the compiling instructions. Put it another way if it was a game I liked then I'd be happy to fire up my old Windows PC (if needed) and spend as much time as needed to get it compiled.
Do you have a version of the 3.2 MB zip English version with your new translation? Something to just copy into my existing 'draci' folder replacing the old with the new. Or will this not work with ScummVM? I can compile a new ScummVM easy but I don't understand the bit at the end of the instructions -
"When I updated ScummVM sources to
recognize the MD5 checksum of INIT.DFW, then also ScummVM was able to play the
compiled game scripts as expected."
I don't get it because I thought it was only RETEZCE.DFW which would change and need a new md5.
bman

Post by bman »

The main text is in RETEZCE, the other files are for objects and questions. I have playtested the game and it is rather cute, hence my cleanup effort. I hope some folks will get a little enjoyment out of my english update. You can compile on WIN32 if you use the original source files and update the english script source data. There will hopefully be a new binary update soon.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I'll wait for the binary then thanks.