Teenagent Compatibility

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Goro_san

Teenagent Compatibility

Post by Goro_san »

any chances for a support of versions other then DOS/ENG ??

there was Polish ver of game for Amiga AGA that contained spoken txt, i think they made one for dos later to...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

If you have a DOS version and it's not detected then it should just be a case of finding out it's md5 and posting it.
But if it's a version for another platform (Amiga) then you need to check if it's supported in the first place.
Generally if a game is supported it's the DOS/Windows version.

I don't think Teenagent for Amiga is supported. Regarding md5s (if you have a DOS version that's not detected) maybe one of the team could post about how to get the game's md5. I'm not sure if the md5 is taken from one of the game's files or maybe the CD itself.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I don't think Teenagent uses any of the engines named at that link.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Red_Breast wrote:I don't think Teenagent uses any of the engines named at that link.
Look again :wink:
pykman

Post by pykman »

Hi!

I have a very similar question and a help request.
In my games collection a have a copy of Nowy Teenagent from Polish PC magazin CD-Action. Nowy Teenagent is different from the usual version of the game becouse it is a talkie (voices are in Polish). Is there a chance that this version will by supported? For now my version of ScummVm don't "sees" the game. I've tried to use the MD5 checksum but I don't know if I'm doing everything right. I've checked this web site you provided: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Repor ... _checksums

I have the Ubuntu 9.10 Linux. The console method didn't work form me, so I've tried another one, but I need more detailed "how to".
In Ubuntu Terminal I went to the game folder and used head -c size file | md5sum command. I've changed the "size" for 5000 value (as in game engine) and "file" for name of one of game files, let's say ON.RES. And I've got something like this: a0d5e5bbf6fab4bdc7f4094ed85f9639 -
but when I've changed the file to OFF.RES I've got: aaac839a6ef639d68ebc97bc42faa42d -
Am I doing everything ok? What exactly is MD5 sum? I've only checked the files that have the same name in my and GOG.com version of the game.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

pykman wrote: In Ubuntu Terminal I went to the game folder and used head -c size file | md5sum command. I've changed the "size" for 5000 value (as in game engine) and "file" for name of one of game files, let's say ON.RES. And I've got something like this: a0d5e5bbf6fab4bdc7f4094ed85f9639 -
but when I've changed the file to OFF.RES I've got: aaac839a6ef639d68ebc97bc42faa42d -
Am I doing everything ok? What exactly is MD5 sum? I've only checked the files that have the same name in my and GOG.com version of the game.
Well, since the MD5 checksum is something that is used to differentiate and authenticate files, it certainly should be different if you change the file.

As for what MD5 actually is, it's a bit complicated but it is basically an algorithm which can take any string of characters (or file) and produce a "Hash" for it, which should be unique and consistent. It is used by ScummVM to verify that the game files you are using are the correct versions.
pykman

Post by pykman »

Thanks KuroShiro!

So now if I want to report unknown MD5 checksums to ScummVM team I should check every file for its MD5 in game directory and posted the results in bug tracker right?

But then again, version of Teenagent that is suported by ScummVM engine is the non-talkie english version from GOG.com. Does ScummVM engine itself will be "prepared" for the talkie, polish version of the game?
I think it is not only the matter of sending MD5 checksum of game that ScummVm team is not aware of, but to program new Teenagnet engine for its voice file???
Does sending ONLY the MD5 checksums will help ScummVM team to support talkie version of the game?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I can well imagine that you're right about not being able to use the file, or files, that have the voice audio. Are they normal file(s) or CDDA redbook type audio? The supported version is the non-talkie English version.
The fact that the version you have isn't recognised would seem to hint that even the other files have different md5s than the supported version's files. Do they have the same names?

The free GOG version has these .res files:
advert
lan_000
lan_500
mmm
off
on
ons
sam_mmm
sam_sam
sdr
unlogic
varia

other files are included apart from the GOG dosbox and install routines which I think come from the actual game are:
soundset.exe
teenagnt.exe
depot.jpg
pykman

Post by pykman »

My version of Teenagent has this .res files:

lan_000
lan_500
mmm
off
on
ons
sam_mmm
sam_sam
sdr
varia
cdlogo
voices
- about 18,5 MB size

Plus:

sound.set
soundset.exe
soundset.pif
teenagnt.exe
teenagnt.pif
and two readme files

When playing game in DosBox emulator I have sound problems: voices are broken and no music, but game is playable.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

For ScummVM to support your version it would need somebody to have the version you have and then port it to ScummVM.
I can't remember who it was who done the ScummVM version but the info can be found if you want to ask them. You'd need to donate your version of the game or buy another one though. You can't just make a copy or image of the disc.
pykman

Post by pykman »

I think I could sacrifice me CD for the good of humanity :)
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

Just out of curiosity, whatever happened to this?

I reckon there might be some people out there crazy enough to do an English voice track if the necessary format information was available.
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

Anybody..?

Should I start a new thread in General Discussion? Or maybe this one should be moved?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Jorpho wrote:Anybody..?

Should I start a new thread in General Discussion? Or maybe this one should be moved?
The guy who worked on TeenAgent doesn't seem very active recently, you might be best off to make a feature request and/or mail him directly.