Problem with MIDI in Windows 7 x64

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Googlhupf

Problem with MIDI in Windows 7 x64

Post by Googlhupf »

Hello y'all! :D

I have dug up my Roland CM-32L yesterday and I've been fiddling with scummVM's v1.0.0 since then. Had to buy a new MIDI interface, since my current machine doesn't have a gameport any longer. :cry: I've gotten meself an E-MU Xmidi 1x1 Tab and up to this point, it's been working as expected.

What isn't working as expected is scummVM. And Windows. :? First there was the issue of switching the default MIDI device. After searching the internet, I found out that M$ had dropped that function as of Vista. Great! So it was either editing the registry or finding a tool to do it for me. I opted for the latter. So now the Vista MIDI Fix(er) is doing what Windows should be able to do.

Now to the part where scummVM comes in. I'm using Windows MIDI as Music driver and True Roland MT-32 on the MIDI-Tab in scummVM for the games that can use an MT-32. For the games that require GM/GS, I keep True Roland MT-32 unchecked. Before I start scummVM with a GM/GS game, I change the default MIDI device in Windows. All should be well. Unfortunately all isn't well. No matter which MIDI device I select in the MIDI Fix tool, all MIDI data gets sent through my Xmidi. Windows Media Player on the other hand plays all MIDI files just fine. If I set the software synth as default, it plays through that. If I set my X-Fi Synth as default, it plays through that. Great!

Only after I disable or unplug my Xmidi, does scummVM play through another device. But alas, I can't change the device. It's the M$ software synth or nothing. :evil: And yes, I have tried rebooting my machine. :? I have even tried a fresh scummvm.ini.

What gives? What am I missing? Bug? Can anyone reproduce this?

Greetings from Germany

Googlhupf
Googlhupf

Post by Googlhupf »

Me again! :)

I've done some research and thinking. 8) From what I understand now, ScummVM sends its MIDI data not to the default device (-1), but always to device 0. Since Device 0 is either the GS soft synth or, as with me, the Xmidi USB. In Windows <Vista this would work whithout a problem, because Device 0 is the MIDI-Mapper.

What do you people think of my reasoning?

And let me again, express my thanks towards Microsoft for removing the MIDI-Mapper from their OS. :evil:

Greetings from Germany

Googlhupf

EDIT: I'll have to correct myself. As my knowledge grows, I've discovered that the MIDI Mapper itself doesn't show up as a 'device' at all. So please ignore my ignorance displayed above. :oops:
Last edited by Googlhupf on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

There are a couple of MIDI mappers for Vista out there.

If you're using Vista MIDI Fix by Ben Ryves, he warns that his tool doesn't seem to work on a number of game engines (Doomsday, Chocolate Doom). I suspect ScummVM is one of them.

Another popular tool is Vista MIDI Mapper. Copy the control panel to your System32 directory.

For info, I didn't try any of them. I'm (luckily) stuck on XP :)
Googlhupf wrote:From what I understand now, ScummVM sends its MIDI data not to the default device (-1), but always to device 0.
In that case, the Microsoft MIDI mapper wouldn't work on XP either, which is not the case.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I have used Putzlowitschs Vista MIDI-Mapper in both Vista 64 and Win7 64 with no issues. The added twist with Win7 is that there are no longer separate volume controls for wave and MIDI. It has separate volume controls per open application, which is nice, but no way to balance sound between wave and MIDI in a single game or application through Windows.