7TH GUEST/11TH HR

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

niki71uk

7TH GUEST/11TH HR

Post by niki71uk »

i can get 7th guest working ok on my xp,but NOT 11th hr,i dont understand how scummvm works,i cant get the files for 11th hr to show on it,ive tried everything.helppppppppppppppp !!!!!!!!!
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

11th hour cannot be played in ScummVM. To see what is supported check out http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/
niki71uk

Post by niki71uk »

so how do i get it to work then??? i did get it working eventually sort of but the souynd for speech is crap,and the sound for music works
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

niki71uk wrote:so how do i get it to work then??? i did get it working eventually sort of but the souynd for speech is crap,and the sound for music works
You can't get 11th Hour to work in ScummVM, because it's not supported yet. To see what ScummVM is, check this page:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/About
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

niki71uk wrote:so how do i get it to work then??? i did get it working eventually sort of but the souynd for speech is crap,and the sound for music works
DOSBox can supposedly run the DOS version of 11th Hour, though I don't know how well it works.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Mind if I ask why you thought 11th Hour was playable/supported.
Note what usually happens is a game will be announced as 'playable' and to play it you need one of the svn unstable builds found around the bottom of the downloads page.
That game then becomes 'supported' when ScummVM gets it's next release version.
As has already been said 11th Hour isn't even playable yet. Whatever next? Clandestiny? Tender Loving Care even?
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Maybe, unlike you, he/she reads the summvm wiki which states that 11th hour is in current development - unlike your examples.

Considering some of the in development games are recognize by some degree in the SVN build, he may have thought this one was as well.

Your response makes no sense, as the games you listed are not listed anywhere in development, and you try to make it sound like this person had absolutely no reason whatsoever to even ask about this game.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

If you look in the SVN, you'll notice that there's a NEWS file containing the latest noticeable improvements in ScummVM. An important part is the 'New Games' section. Those games will be added to the supported games when the next version (in this case 1.1) is released. 11th hour is not in the current supported list (1.0), nor in the 'New games' list of 1.1, so it's not yet ready.

There are a lot of games 'under development', recognized or not by ScummVM. But being recognized means nothing: some games are recognized only because they use an engine supported for other games. For example, Geisha is recognized because they use the 'gob' engine, but doesn't even show the first screen...
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Yes, I understand this. The point is, it shows this game under active development on the wiki page. The games Red_breast used in his example are not. His attitude came across as though no one had even mentioned 11th Hour at this point and expecting support for it in any fashion was idiotic. I was simply using a scenario to try and suggest to Mr. Red_Breast to use a little patience and/or discretion in the future. I understand that people come here and ask the same questions all the time, and I understand that sometimes those who post often get tired of responding - but several threads on the scummvm forums show rampant over reaction - not from devs/mods, but from these regulars who take it upon themselves to play police. There used to be a guy who went by clem who basically accused every person who posted of being a pirate. His favorite post in the world was simply "forum rule 0". While he was right sometimes, he also prematurely shot his load a few times. It just doesn't accomplish anything always assuming the worst.

Over in the poster thread you get some guy who thinks he is being helpful by jumping Jonatan's ass for simply asking what the status is. Every jumped on him afterwards - but seriously, where do you think he got it from? He got it from reading so many other threads where the regulars castrated someone for asking what they considered to be a stupid question.

Everyone is welcome to ignore me - I don't have fantasies that my opinion is any more valid than anyone elses. But i do suggest reminding some of your regulars are regular wannabe's from time to time to back off and drop the elitist attitude. It only encourages it among newer members and runs people off who in the long run might be valuable members.

Another forum I am a mod at used to have a very strict policy where the staff used to get their kicks eviscerating anyone who broke a rule - even though it was usually by accident. After years of this it was getting very quiet around there and they switched their mode of thinking around to a friendly environment. Thinks are hopping again and there is a glut of new members.

Again - here its not the mods, its the regulars. And I understand the goal here is not to have a lot of users, but at least have a welcome mat out for those curious enough to stop in.

Or not...
ScottT
ScummVM Developer

Post by ScottT »

scoriae wrote:as the games you listed are not listed anywhere in development
I'm staying out of the debate on how the forums are run (as my post count should show - 4 posts in 15 months?), but for future reference Clandestiny, TLC and 11H all use identical engines (or at most very minor differences), so they're each about as completable as each-other - you can navigate around and nothing else without tripping an error.

As for 'current development', that's pretty loose but I do try to spend a little bit of time every few weeks :)
Last edited by ScottT on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Thanks for the info Scott - I wasn't aware that those other games were on the same engine - but neat to know =)

I suppose I should not put as much weight into the wiki pages as I had before.
ScottT
ScummVM Developer

Post by ScottT »

For the most part they're pretty accurate but I guess the ambiguity comes in with what isn't said as opposed to what is. For example, with the Groovie engine the wiki doesn't mention that the engines are the same for the later games (just that there are two main versions) ;)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

scoriae

I've come across a few instances where games are reported to be supported on other web sites when in fact they have just about made the playable state. It was with that in mind that I was asking where the poster got their info about the 2 games.
The OP doesn't say but I get the impression that he/she thought both games were supported. So I was just asking where they got the info from. That's all.

"Whatever next? Clandestiny? Tender Loving Care even?"
The OP believed from their info source that 11th Hour was playable. So by "Whatever next?" I meant that next we'll be reading that because 7th Guest is playable all Groovie games are playable. Again my irritation is with some web sites I come across that report inaccurate things. That's all. It was a little tongue in cheek to finish my post off with as I'm aware how much those who ported 7th Guest would love to include those games one day as well.

I originally started this post with the intention of asking how is it that people can write something like "Maybe, unlike you, he/she reads the summvm wiki". But I'll leave it. It seems as though my whole post was misunderstood. I'm not blaming you for that. Not at all. Years of BBS/internet use has shown me how posts sometimes get misunderstood. All I can say is after reading my post back I don't know if I could of worded it better. In fact my first line shows exactly what I had in mind regarding some web sites reporting wrong things.

I hope I've explained my post better. It was to simply ask where the OP got their info from as I wanted to find out what it said exactly about 11th Hour and if it was another web site reporting inaccurate info
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Yes, your post makes more sense. The frustration evidenced in my post was not solely based on your comment and I apologize that your comment is where I decided to voice myself.

For all I know the OP had no idea what they were talking about at all.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

scoriae wrote:Yes, your post makes more sense. The frustration evidenced in my post was not solely based on your comment and I apologize that your comment is where I decided to voice myself.

For all I know the OP had no idea what they were talking about at all.
No problem.