Kings Quest 5

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bambamfox

Kings Quest 5

Post by bambamfox »

hi

can s.o. tell me how to load kings quest 5 with scummvm?
Some people say, that kq5 should work.
I have the original cd version here, but scummvm does not detect any game. and i extracted the zipped mainfolder on the cd...
what file does scummvm need?? kq5.exe??

pls help :(
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

bambamfox wrote:...and i extracted the zipped mainfolder on the cd...
We don't support illegally obtained versions, sorry you won't get any help here. And no, Sierra SCI games are not yet playable in the latest stable version
bambamfox

Post by bambamfox »

as told yet - i own the original cd version legally
and that you don't support these games does not declare, that it does work anyway.
I read comments from people who say, that KQ 5+ works for them and I just want to know how they did it.
Collector

Re: Kings Quest 5

Post by Collector »

bambamfox wrote:i extracted the zipped mainfolder on the cd...
King's Quest 5 does not have any zipped files. If your CD has any of it zipped you should send it back to the place you purchased it from and ask for your money back. They sold you an illegal copy.
bambamfox

Post by bambamfox »

.... yes there is no Zip-file in it, it's an Lzh-file (KQ5.LZH) - 9.064kb, which I can unpack with winrar... despite that, I can tell a 10 year old game-package from a new one
(woohoooo I got 10 free-online-hours from AOL in my package :D)

- yes and I use Dosbox now, so don't care about this thread
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

bambamfox wrote:.... yes there is no Zip-file in it, it's an Lzh-file (KQ5.LZH) - 9.064kb, which I can unpack with winrar... despite that, I can tell a 10 year old game-package from a new one
(woohoooo I got 10 free-online-hours from AOL in my package :D)

- yes and I use Dosbox now, so don't care about this thread
To my knowledge, there wasn't any CD version with compressed files, that's very strange. Also, the CD version of the game is much bigger than 9MB, so again I highly doubt this is the actual CD version :)

If you do want to test out support for newer SCI games from Sierra, you can do so with the latest unstable version of ScummVM, but it's still under heavy development, so nothing stable yet
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

bambamfox wrote:.... yes there is no Zip-file in it, it's an Lzh-file (KQ5.LZH) - 9.064kb
The official release by sierra does not contain any lzh file, also the CD version is much bigger. There is also no kq5.exe file on either the floppy nor cd version. I guess you got a pirated floppy version burned on CD.
Last edited by m_kiewitz on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bambamfox

Post by bambamfox »

kixx xl release:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/kings ... rId,47760/
- but according to this page, only released in europe

here is a screenshot from the packed file and cd folder -
unfortunately scummvm doesn't recognize any game data, even when I copy the folder to the hard drive, etc...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You need the latest unstable version of ScummVM, here (for the Windows version):
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/scummvm-win32.exe

and not the latest stable 1.0.0 release
bambamfox

Post by bambamfox »

hey thanks - well, it's starting, but crashing in the main menu when klicking or sth (win7?), but np, I can play with dosbox
:)
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Glad to see you came back bambamfox and showed these guys your legal copy. Most of the devs and long timers around here treat everyone like a pirate if they ask or mention anything that they themselves have never heard of before.

Rather than simply assuming he had a pirated version it would have been much more acceptable to note that illegal versions are not supported, but to also ask what release he happened to be using.

A friend of mine runs a torrent tracker and has logged at least one of the devs from this site on there "pirating". Pot calling the kettle black much?
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

scoriae wrote:A friend of mine runs a torrent tracker and has logged at least one of the devs from this site on there "pirating". Pot calling the kettle black much?
Sorry, but bambamfox didn't show us his legal copy. He showed us a screenshot with files and directories. And he gave us a link. Anyone can do that.

The original kixx xl release was on 3 1/2" floppies - I personally wasn't able to find any information about another cd-release but the one from sierra - and I got that CD here. If there was a re-release by kixx xl on CD, then we were wrong of course.

I own every single sierra game that im doing development for. I even own some of the games several times. I even own the original kq5 cd talkie release - which was really hard to get originally in europe w/o internet. I actually sent my original floppies to america and got them replaced for a small fee directly by sierra on-line.

EDIT: I just got informed by someone that has a kixx xl release of kq5 on CD, so there is a release *but* this release doesn't have the same files as the ones bambamfox mentioned. Of course there may be another CD release by kixx xl that was completely different from the one previously released.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

scoriae wrote:Glad to see you came back bambamfox and showed these guys your legal copy.
As m_kiewitz said, we haven't been able to find a legit CD version of the game which had the files of the floppy version in an archive.
scoriae wrote:Most of the devs and long timers around here treat everyone like a pirate if they ask or mention anything that they themselves have never heard of before.
That's because many people download some cracked version they found with missing/corrupted files and then they worry why it's not working properly...
scoriae wrote:Rather than simply assuming he had a pirated version it would have been much more acceptable to note that illegal versions are not supported, but to also ask what release he happened to be using.
As I said, I found it really strange that a legit CD version was shipped with the files of the floppy version packed (and the floppy version is much smaller than the CD one)
Collector

Post by Collector »

Not to continue to challenge you, but it is the fact that it is packaged in such an unusual manor for a Sierra game that has caused people here to be skeptical. Sierra did re-release some of their earlier floppy games on CD, but none of the files were ever packed, even the Slash re-releases. There is no reason for the floppy version to be packed for shipping an a CD. Not when the floppy version is only 8 or 9 MB. And as said, a screenshot of the files listing and a link to a MobyGames image proves nothing.
bambamfox

Post by bambamfox »

are you contented now??????? jeeez...
OOOH wait - this images can be manipulated .... pls ban user!!

yeah and as you all know - *.lza is not a common archive and not supposed to be unpacked - but winrar can open sometimes things you wouldn't expect. I guess, that it is packed because of the AOL package on the cd...