DOTT Cuts cene bugs

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

NovaCoder

DOTT Cuts cene bugs

Post by NovaCoder »

Obviously this is going to hard to debug 'remotely' but I've got some problems with the screen going black and getting 'stuck' in cutscenes (I'm using a very old version of ScummVM BTW so it might be an old known bug).

1. When you use the crowbar on the vending machine, the guy starts picking up the quarters. After picking up a few of them the cut scene starts and the screen goes black and you can't continue.

2. When you use the quarters on the washing machine the screen also goes black, and you can't continue.

3. When in the past, the screen goes black sometimes when going from one room to another. This can be solved by hitting the escape key.

Any help appreciated :D
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

update scummvm. bugs in old releases are not going to be worked on, DOTT should work just fine with a new release.
NovaCoder

Post by NovaCoder »

If only it were that simple :)

This is a port for classic AGA Amiga's which are not powerful enough to run the later versions of ScummVM, that is why I'm using an older version.

I've done some debugging and it's getting stuck in script/script_v2. It's just calling soundKludge over and over again.

Code: Select all

if (list[0]==-1) {
		processSoundQues();
		return;
	}
So it just calls processSoundQues() and then returns (list[0] == -1).
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

What exactly prevents it from running current ScummVM versions, I wonder? For SCUMM games, not that much should have changed, in particular in terms of speed and memory usage.

Anyway, sorry, but you likely won't get help here for fixing bugs in ancient ScummVM versions. We already spent a lot of work to fix those bugs in ScummVM itself, why should we spend the effort to fix them *again* ? Would be much better to use that time to get the latest ScummVM running on your system.
NovaCoder

Post by NovaCoder »

Yes I can see that point of view but I was just hoping someone would say 'I know that one, it's an easy fix all you need to do is....' :D

I was told that the old version I ported would able to run DOTT with any big problems but it turns out that is not quite correct :cry:

So now I'll have to throw away my hard work and port version 1.0 over to 68k instead.

Oh well, never mind :roll:
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

May I ask: What exactly did that hard work involve besides recompiling? And why does it have to be thrown away, can't you just apply the same changes to 1.0.0 (and ideally, put them into the form of a patch which you submit to us, so that the next ScummVM version works better on your system out of the box) ?
NovaCoder

Post by NovaCoder »

fingolfin wrote:May I ask: What exactly did that hard work involve besides recompiling? And why does it have to be thrown away, can't you just apply the same changes to 1.0.0 (and ideally, put them into the form of a patch which you submit to us, so that the next ScummVM version works better on your system out of the box) ?

I fixed up a few bugs on the way (using the latest code for reference), stripped out all the SDL code and some Win32 code, removed (via a DEBUG define) a ton of debugging statements and checks that were slowing the code down, re-worked the sound queue processing and plugged in my own soundengine.

The idea was just to re-do the soundengine on the original port but I got a bit carried away :oops:

Anyway, I'll have a go a porting the latest version over because it will be quicker than trying to fix the bugs in this old version that I'm using (v0.38.2 apparently).
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Man, that sounds as if you really went the hard way -- talking to the team might have saved you a lot of work. :)

For example, you shouldn't have to strip out *any* SDL code -- if you don't want to use the SDL code but rather want to use your own backend code, well, write a custom backend. That could then have been transferred with some moderate effort to 1.0.0. Well, it might not be too late for that yet. Writing a custom backend is not that hard, and apparently you already have most of the code needed for it written.

As for disabling debug statements: Not sure which ones you mean specificially, but in 1.0.0, for example, you can #define DISABLE_TEXT_CONSOLE globall to disable all debug() statements (and also all printf/warnings, which might be more than what you want -- well, you could for now tweak common/debug.h to only disable the debug() statements, and requests that a separate DISABLE_DEBUG #define gets added). Also note that in a "proper" C library, one can disable all assert checks (usually by #defining NDEBUG).

Can't comment on your sound quene / sound engine changes, not having seen those. But then again, not too much in the SCUMM engine changed in the last 1-2 years, so it might be possible to port that with minor effort.

Then again, you never told us just *how* old that ScummVM version is you are using... ? 8)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

He is using (wants to use) the Amiga 68k version of ScummVM

I'm not sure what version he is exactly on, but the latest one available from Uwe Ryssel would be 0.10.0r2 (which is SDL based iirc)

I believe the problem NovaCoder had from the start was that he tried to use MIDI music through emulating it via his code (correct me if i'm wrong Nova, but i think that gave you the most headache?) which in turn raised other problems, sound, video and script related

:-)

Welcome to the team Nova, glad to have you aboardas it seems Uwe has lost interest
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

sooo, seeing that you finally released your DOTT-only source emulation (i think it's called that nowaday?)...

...when will you officially be joining the team? :-D

Just joking, would love to have you aboard...

(whispers: there are scary guys around here...) ;-D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Unfortunately, this port seems to be in violation of the GPL. I'll hope you fix that quickly, by (a) releasing the full source code, and (b) adding the text of the GPL and directions where to find the full source code to the binary archives you offer for download.

BTW, your README says "Coded: 10 Nov 2010" -> looks like a typo to me, or did you really work in the future? ;) Also: "based on ScummVM V0.38.2" -> that's also nonsense ;).
NovaCoder

Post by NovaCoder »

fingolfin wrote:Unfortunately, this port seems to be in violation of the GPL. I'll hope you fix that quickly, by (a) releasing the full source code, and (b) adding the text of the GPL and directions where to find the full source code to the binary archives you offer for download.

BTW, your README says "Coded: 10 Nov 2010" -> looks like a typo to me, or did you really work in the future? ;) Also: "based on ScummVM V0.38.2" -> that's also nonsense ;).
Hiya,

I'm working on a new released based on the latest version of ScummVM, when it's working properly I will release the source code + add the GPL info :D

Yes I coded it next year (when it will be finished).

The version number was the one given to me by the author of the previous version.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

There never was a 0.38.2.

I am afraid that releasing the source for the new version is not enough -- you *must* release the source for the binaries you already released. It's not optional.