Cruise for a Corpse, real MT-32 not working

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vintagegames

Cruise for a Corpse, real MT-32 not working

Post by vintagegames »

Using the August 4 daily build, I got the 256 color UK version of Cruise running. I used Windows MIDI, set my USB MIDI adapter as primary device and attached my MT-32. This setup works perfectly e.g. for Monkey2. However, for Cruise, the MT-32 was not used.

I don't have a clue what SCUMMVM actually used, I tried to choose PC Speaker or Adblib, but always got the same result, which sounded like it could be an Adlib emulation. In any case, the music went off when I muted the Wave output in the sound mixer (while my MT-32 is connected to my line in).

By the way, I find it a bit confusing that the game is listed as supported but is actually not supported in the current main release, only in the daily builds. I verified this by letting SCUMMVM list the supported game IDs, and cruise was not there. Also, my 16-color UK version is not detected, although there's code for it.
raina

Post by raina »

There are separate compatibility charts for releases and dailies.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Cruise for a Corpse, real MT-32 not working

Post by LordHoto »

vintagegames wrote:Using the August 4 daily build, I got the 256 color UK version of Cruise running. I used Windows MIDI, set my USB MIDI adapter as primary device and attached my MT-32. This setup works perfectly e.g. for Monkey2. However, for Cruise, the MT-32 was not used.

I don't have a clue what SCUMMVM actually used, I tried to choose PC Speaker or Adblib, but always got the same result, which sounded like it could be an Adlib emulation. In any case, the music went off when I muted the Wave output in the sound mixer (while my MT-32 is connected to my line in).
Looking at the source code CruisE seems only to support AdLib currently.
vintagegames wrote:

By the way, I find it a bit confusing that the game is listed as supported but is actually not supported in the current main release, only in the daily builds. I verified this by letting SCUMMVM list the supported game IDs, and cruise was not there. Also, my 16-color UK version is not detected, although there's code for it.
You might want to check out http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/faq/#5_6 while the FAQ entry talks about crashes, it is also useful to have that window open when detecting a game, since there will be some information about it usually, when you have a unknown version of a supported game.
vintagegames

Post by vintagegames »

Thank you both for your detailed answers.

I did obviously miss the fact that the main compatibility page list is for the daily build (although this is the first time in, say, 5 years that this has made any difference).

I am also somewhat 'relieved' that my cruise problem is not related to my hardware or inability to configure SCUMMVM right.

Let me share what the engine reports about my UK Cruise 16 color version:

"D1", "cd29a4cd9162076e9a18495fe56a48f3", 540087

Would it make sense to also update the compatibility entry to something
"Game is completable. Only PC version with Adlib is supported."

Looking at other compatibility entries, I saw that there are never such details as language and graphics settings. In this case, I noticed that there are 16 color versions supported - just not the English version, only German and French.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Thanks for the UK MD5 - it's been added to the detection list. I've also put a note about the lack of MIDI support into the Wiki. Hopefully, someone more familiar with implementing direct MIDI support may wish to undertake it in the future.