'enhanced' version of Kq6?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gneville

'enhanced' version of Kq6?

Post by gneville »

Kq6 loads fine in scummvm, I just wondered if it is possible to force it to load the 'windows' (3.1) 'enhanced' version rather than the DOS version.

The enhanced one has a slightly higher resolution and better quality portraits for the dialogues.

Many thanks
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

It also had a different opening animation, played from a windows media avi-file. I believe that it had slightly more animations, more voice-over, a different soundtrack and ended with an animated KQ-logo.
Morden

Post by Morden »

SCI games aren't properly supported yet, so if you do own a DOS version, you're better off playing it via DOSBox. I'm sure Collector from Sierra Help Forums can give you more information here.

I tried running King's Quest VI a while ago and it's mostly unplayable due to numerous glitches and a show stopper.
gneville

Post by gneville »

I've got the cd-rom windows version that has the DOS and enhanced versions - and would rather like to play the latter!

Thanks for replying anyways :)
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

gneville, Try this:

http://www.sierrahelp.com/forums/viewto ... b0d1d5a03e

It installs with the game a different exe that works on XP and vista 32 without any compatibility (however, it disables AVI support, but there are only 2 movies in the game,anyway).
I tried it, and can confirm this works great. (however if you have old saved games, they won't work because it changes the version)
gneville

Post by gneville »

damn I'm using Vista 64! Thanks for the link though.. This is why getting it going in scummvm would be ideal!

I might install xp on a free partition or something, thanks
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

gneville wrote:damn I'm using Vista 64! Thanks for the link though.. This is why getting it going in scummvm would be ideal!

I might install xp on a free partition or something, thanks

You can also install windows 3.11 on DosBox and run the game through there, if you're really desperate :P
Collector

Post by Collector »

If you are going to do a dual boot, KQ6 Win runs without a hitch on Vista 32. Every solution for the Windows version on XP has issues.