Is it possible to use the compression tools, in Vista?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

KevinSig

Is it possible to use the compression tools, in Vista?

Post by KevinSig »

My current computer system is Vista. And for all my DOS needs, I go to Dosbox. I'd like to compress Monkey Island 3 files, but lo & behold, DosBox won't work with the ScummVM tools.

I've got the Vorbis files, for compression.

So now what is my question?

I've found this thread... but unfortunately, it doesn't help me with Vista issues.

Halp!

Kevin
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Is it possible to use the compression tools, in Vista?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

KevinSig wrote:My current computer system is Vista. And for all my DOS needs, I go to Dosbox. I'd like to compress Monkey Island 3 files, but lo & behold, DosBox won't work with the ScummVM tools.
That's not surprising. They're command-line tool, but they're not DOS programs. I imagine you should be able to run them from Vista's command prompt, but I've never tried it myself.
Flo

Post by Flo »

The ScummVM tools work fine in Vista's (and Windows 7's) command line interpreter (cmd.exe).
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
Or, like Flo said, Start > run > cmd
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

The thing is even after starting the command prompt (cmd.exe), you still have to "browse" to the folder containing the compression tool.

This might help with that:

Right click into some empty space in the folder containing the compression tool, select "new > shortcut", type in location of item as "cmd.exe", click okay then choose finish.

1.) Now right click on the shortcut, and select properties, under "target" remove whatever is there and type "%COMSPEC%" without the quotes.
2.) Under "start in" remove whatever is there and type "%CURRENT%" without the quotes.

You now have a general purpose command prompt shortcut that can be opened with a double-click, and it will open in the directory it is run from. So you can copy/move it to wherever you want to run a command line tool from.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Just run the tool from the run box with the needed arguments or write a batch file.