Ratio aspect with 16:10 monitor

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joblack

Ratio aspect with 16:10 monitor

Post by joblack »

I've got a HannsG 28" 16:10 monitor and almost all games have the wrong ratio aspect.

Are there some options to have a aspect ratio neutral mapping (so that you have some black borders left and right).

If that doesn't exist it's a suggestion to implement - especially because of all the new wide screen monitors.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

You gotta tell that your video drivers there. ScummVM only requests a specific resolution via SDL, how that is mapped is the responsibility of your video card.
joblack

Post by joblack »

DrMcCoy wrote:You gotta tell that your video drivers there. ScummVM only requests a specific resolution via SDL, how that is mapped is the responsibility of your video card.
No thats not right because even if I would change the resolution I normally have no black borders.

It can't be that hard to scale it right and let on the left and right a black border.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

joblack wrote:
DrMcCoy wrote:You gotta tell that your video drivers there. ScummVM only requests a specific resolution via SDL, how that is mapped is the responsibility of your video card.
No thats not right because even if I would change the resolution I normally have no black borders.
You will have to make sure your monitor and/or your graphics card does only scale aspect correct too. If that's not supported by your hardware, I guess there's nothing that can be done about it :-/.

For example my monitor has built-in scaling. I did enable "Aspect Ratio Scaled" in my monitor's settings, and to be sure I also enabled "Aspect Ratio Scaled" in the nvidia driver settings. It works just fine with that.

You'll also need to enable "Aspect ratio correction" in the "Options" menu of ScummVM, btw.
tectronic

Post by tectronic »

Hi, is there any chance to change aspect ratio in scummvm to 16:10 or 16:9? Like this:

Click on the PIC.

I make this pic in Dosbox and use OpenGl render. I really like ScummVM but without this function for me unusable.

Also the "Lock the mouse in window mode" function is missing very much. Very frustrating when i playing a Point & Click game in window and the mouse pointer slips out easily from ScummVM window to the windows desktop.

I ask it if somebody knows a solution to these problems let him share it with me.

Thank you for the attention and sorry for my english.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tectronic wrote: Also the "Lock the mouse in window mode" function is missing very much. Very frustrating when i playing a Point & Click game in window and the mouse pointer slips out easily from ScummVM window to the windows desktop.
Ctrl-M should toggle that on or off, though admittedly the documentation about that is extremely brief. (The feature was added around the time ScummVM first began supporting the action sequences in Full Throttle.)
tectronic

Post by tectronic »

It's GREAT news:) Thanks for the fast answer. There is some kind of solution that the game start in locked window?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tectronic wrote:There is some kind of solution that the game start in locked window?
As far as I know pressing Ctrl-M is currently the only way to toggle it, and it's always off when ScummVM starts.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

tectronic wrote:Hi, is there any chance to change aspect ratio in scummvm to 16:10 or 16:9? Like this:

Click on the PIC.

I make this pic in Dosbox and use OpenGl render. I really like ScummVM but without this function for me unusable.
Yes it should be possible to have an fullscreen output looking like that:
LordHoto wrote: You will have to make sure your monitor and/or your graphics card does only scale aspect correct too. If that's not supported by your hardware, I guess there's nothing that can be done about it :-/.

For example my monitor has built-in scaling. I did enable "Aspect Ratio Scaled" in my monitor's settings, and to be sure I also enabled "Aspect Ratio Scaled" in the nvidia driver settings. It works just fine with that.

You'll also need to enable "Aspect ratio correction" in the "Options" menu of ScummVM, btw.
ScummVM has no way of adding those black borders though. So if you hardware does not support these settings, we sadly can't do anything about it.
joblack

Post by joblack »

Ok, the Linux NVIDIA Geforce driver have it but I haven't found the option for the Windows driver? Any idea (my monitor only fits the screen or shows it full what means it only scales (anamorph) completely or increase the resolution by an even number of pixels).
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

I have the same problem, and i was able to solve it, as described above, as i just used one monitor, but since using two, the method of using scaling with fixed aspect ratio in the nvidia control pannel is not working. because of this option is just selecttable for one display (in my case the secondary !? display)
Wyrd

Post by Wyrd »

In the worst case, you can simply choose a 4:3 resolution on your screen, 1152x864 for example.