Scummvm save files from Wii version won't work on PC?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
Mario Blanket
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 3:38 am

Scummvm save files from Wii version won't work on PC?

Post by Mario Blanket »

I've been playing The Curse of Money Island on scummVM for the Wii and today I copied my game data and save file over to my PC, in hopes of continuing where I left off. However, my file says 'Invalid Version' before I load it up, and when I try to, it says 'Failed to load game state from file.'

Is there any way to play my save file from the Wii version of scumm on my PC version of scumm?

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Re: Scummvm save files from Wii version won't work on PC?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mario Blanket wrote: Is there any way to play my save file from the Wii version of scumm on my PC version of scumm?
I don't have a Wii, but I would have thought it should work. At least if you use the same version of ScummVM on your PC, and not an older one. The savegame format has changed a number of times over the years, but generally a newer version should still be able to read savegames from an older version.

Mario Blanket
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Scummvm save files from Wii version won't work on PC?

Post by Mario Blanket »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Mario Blanket wrote: Is there any way to play my save file from the Wii version of scumm on my PC version of scumm?
I don't have a Wii, but I would have thought it should work. At least if you use the same version of ScummVM on your PC, and not an older one. The savegame format has changed a number of times over the years, but generally a newer version should still be able to read savegames from an older version.
Well, on the scummvm official download section, it says the newest version number for both Wii and PC is v0.13.1 but the version I've been using for Wii seems to be "v0.14.0 svn r39954." I think it was modified by someone to have a few more features or something, but it seems strange to me that there is a version newer than v0.13.1 at all.

I don't know what could be different about this unofficial v0.14.0 that would keep my PC version from loading my save files, though. It shows the exact screenshot from where I am in the game! It just can't load the file.

Any suggestions at all?

User avatar
bobdevis
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:52 am

Post by bobdevis »

Try the latest SVN (daily snapshot) version of ScummVM for the PC. It's at the bottom of the download page.

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Re: Scummvm save files from Wii version won't work on PC?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mario Blanket wrote: the version I've been using for Wii seems to be "v0.14.0 svn r39954." I think it was modified by someone to have a few more features or something, but it seems strange to me that there is a version newer than v0.13.1 at all.
The "svn" part of the version number is an abbreviation for Subversion, which is the version control system ScummVM uses. It means that it's a development snapshot of what will eventually become ScummVM 0.14.0, i.e. it's not an official release. Though I thought that particular revision and 0.13.x used the same savegame format for the SCUMM games. (You are running 0.13.0 or 0.13.1 on your PC, right?)
Mario Blanket wrote: I don't know what could be different about this unofficial v0.14.0 that would keep my PC version from loading my save files, though. It shows the exact screenshot from where I am in the game! It just can't load the file.
I think the screenshot is part of the header of the savegame, and that doesn't change very often. It's the exact data saved after that that changes every now and then.

Mario Blanket
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 3:38 am

Post by Mario Blanket »

bobdevis wrote:Try the latest SVN (daily snapshot) version of ScummVM for the PC. It's at the bottom of the download page.
That worked! Thank you very much! : )

smartgenes
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am

Re: Scummvm save files from Wii version won't work on PC?

Post by smartgenes »

How come the save file format is different? It means I can't take save files from the Windows version and use them on my Ubuntu one..

User avatar
criezy
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am
Location: West Sussex, UK

Re: Scummvm save files from Wii version won't work on PC?

Post by criezy »

The same file format is the same for all platforms.However sometimes it evolves and a newer version of ScummVM might use a format different from an older version, and this is what happened for the original poster here. The newer ScummVM version will be able to read both the old and new savegame format, but the old version will only be able to read the old savegame format.

So if you use the same ScummVM version on Windows and Ubuntu you should be able to take the save file from one and use it with the other.

Post Reply