Monkey Island - Amiga version sound?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JDigital

Monkey Island - Amiga version sound?

Post by JDigital »

I copied over the Amiga version of The Secret of Monkey Island to ScummVM, then discovered that the Amiga sound files on this game aren't supported. ScummVM looks for the PC version .WAV sound files instead, but I'd rather have the Amiga sounds (Amiga games back then usually had better sound).

Is there a convertor for the Amiga sound files, or is Monkey Island Amiga sound support planned, or is there somewhere else I can get the Amiga sound pack in a format Monkey Island can use?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

After the post in the DS forum I thought it could be worth checking Mix'n'Mojo about this.
Now I've always known Mojo to be safe with the ScummVM site with regards to links. So here goes.
They have 3 versions/sets of Amiga music from the game. The first can be used with the PC CDrom version of the game. The second plays the notes better but is lowpass-filtered. Last of all is a set you can use with the Amiga version of the game.
The ScummVM wiki documentation for needed files:
Amiga or Amiga demo
* *.LEC
* *.LFL
* music.dat
* sample.dat
So I would think you need the LECs, the LFLs and the mp3s (Mojo's files are mp3 format)
The mp3s for the Amiga version is a 11MB .zip
The PC version zips are 12MB.
I don't have the Amiga version but I think I'll try this with my PC version.
By the way if you're new to ScummVM you might not of noticed that there is an Amiga render mode under Options/GFX.
Another thing is I'm not sure if this will play on the DS.
If you read the DS support page I think this falls under CD audio which needs to be compressed .wav, 22050Hz, IMA-ADPCM 4-bit Mono. I use Goldwave for this (converting) but I believe it's possible with Audacity.
Good luck.

http://www.scummbar.com/amiga/

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#cdaudio

Quick edit: Maybe the .wavs console message refers to what you was talking about in the DS forum post.
If so I should of put it together yesterday. :roll:

Edit: I managed to get the PC data and Amiga audio hybrid version working on WindowsXP ScummVM with the mp3s straight from the .zip and on DS with the mp3s. I was going to convert them to .wav but thought I'd try it first.
I can't help thinking there's more to this though. A good forum search would probably throw up something but I'll hand it over to you now. I think the PC graphics are a little better so if you can't get the Amiga version working maybe try the hybrid version.
JDigital

Post by JDigital »

Success! I now have the Amiga version of The Secret of Monkey Island working on the Nintendo DS with the Amiga music.

Here's how I did it, for anyone googling for the same solution:

1. Copy everything from "Rooms" in disk 1 and everything in disks 2-4 to one big folder (WinUAE is useful here). This should amount to eleven files - five numbered ###.LFL, four numbered Disk##.LEC, and two .DAT files.

2. Download amiga_monkeymusic.zip from the SCUMM Bar website.

3. Convert it to WAV 22050Hz Mono IMA-ADPCM using CDex, as described in Converting your CD audio, except that you're transcoding rather than ripping.

4. Put those WAV files in your big folder and put that on the DS. Play using ScummVM DS build A.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Glad to hear you got it working.
tomten

Post by tomten »

JDigital wrote:Success! I now have the Amiga version of The Secret of Monkey Island working on the Nintendo DS with the Amiga music.

1. Copy everything from "Rooms" in disk 1 and everything in disks 2-4 to one big folder (WinUAE is useful here). This should amount to eleven files - five numbered ###.LFL, four numbered Disk##.LEC, and two .DAT files.

3. Convert it to WAV 22050Hz Mono IMA-ADPCM using CDex, as described in Converting your CD audio, except that you're transcoding rather than ripping.

4. Put those WAV files in your big folder and put that on the DS. Play using ScummVM DS build A.
Nice info. Thanks! The Amiga music is the best!
Pipboy

Post by Pipboy »

JDigital wrote:Success! I now have the Amiga version of The Secret of Monkey Island working on the Nintendo DS with the Amiga music.

Ive got all the audio but whenever i use cdex i can only get music from cds how to i get music from a folder on my pc?
Jacquot

Post by Jacquot »

Seeing as my problem is related to the thread i'll post here instead of opening a new topic.

Just as almost anyone i'm having problems with the audio.. i've checked on the forums and so far this has been the most helpful. I have the Amiga version and i copied all the files in the desired folder, i can hear sound in the intro and some parts of the game but on others is silent. The current Datafiles i have contain the ones mentioned but i have only ten, five ###.LFL , four ##.LEC and one MONKEY.EXE

Just these files provided me some sound, i wonder if adding the converted wav's would cause the game to crash? and why can i hear some music. Other than that i'd be very thankful for your help regarding this matter and also if anyone can provide me with a tutorial to convert the files through Audacity as of now i'm sitting by a Mac

Thanks in Advance
Jac
raina

Post by raina »

Jacquot wrote:I have the Amiga version and i copied all the files in the desired folder, i can hear sound in the intro and some parts of the game but on others is silent. The current Datafiles i have contain the ones mentioned but i have only ten, five ###.LFL , four ##.LEC and one MONKEY.EXE
The game is relatively silent compared to its sequels or other, later adventure titles. By this I mean it doesn't have speech or ambient music, only the occasional sound effects and cued music. At least that's how the PC CD version works.

Btw, is MONKEY.EXE really part of the original Amiga files? Sounds like DOS executable to me, not that it would make any difference to ScummVM which doesn't utilize the original executables.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Jacquot wrote:I have the Amiga version and i copied all the files in the desired folder, i can hear sound in the intro and some parts of the game but on others is silent. The current Datafiles i have contain the ones mentioned but i have only ten, five ###.LFL , four ##.LEC and one MONKEY.EXE
Looks like you mixed up your versions. Those files are the old DOS version, which only support midi. Amiga music or any other external sound files are not supported in that version.
Jacquot

Post by Jacquot »

raina wrote: Btw, is MONKEY.EXE really part of the original Amiga files? Sounds like DOS executable to me, not that it would make any difference to ScummVM which doesn't utilize the original executables.
I can't recall as i've had these transfered from the disks and then from computers and so..(god like i was that old heh..) but yeah those files were the ones i had.

It really makes sense that the game is silent with ocasional music then...but does it means that i have it just the way it is? because in the solution JDigital provided he added several music files, although he mentioned he had no sound at all. In any case i managed to convert the audio files he mentioned and i just have to copy them to test..just wishing this don't nuke my DS :)
Jacquot

Post by Jacquot »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Looks like you mixed up your versions. Those files are the old DOS version, which only support midi. Amiga music or any other external sound files are not supported in that version.
But if such was the case then i would need the midi files and i wouldn't be able to hear anything at all. It would just be easier to test them on pc but i have no access to one atm.

If the older versions are indeed quite silent, how is it that the amiga contains so many music files? (up to 18) or that's about regular for such games? if that's the case i'll just let it rest until i can get me a pc cd..
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Jacquot wrote:I can't recall as i've had these transfered from the disks and then from computers and so..(god like i was that old heh..) but yeah those files were the ones i had.
Then, I'd say, you dug out your PC version, either EGA or VGA. If you have music at the intro and sounds like opening the doors, that's the way the game is supposed to be. There are indeed quite some silent moments.
It really makes sense that the game is silent with ocasional music then...but does it means that i have it just the way it is? because in the solution JDigital provided he added several music files, although he mentioned he had no sound at all.
As it is about playing the Amiga version in ScummVM. The last time I checked, there was no SFX support at all, and music only from external files, which were not part of the Amiga distribution, thus the downloadable files. It was meant as a temporary solution in ScummVM, until the native files are supported some day.

Also, the music in that PC version is just as much as in the Amiga version. It merely sounds different.
cervantes

Post by cervantes »

okay need help here
Got the Amiga files but can't get them converted with CDex. All I have is the files on the desktop not on a CD. With CDex one post said you needed to transcode it. How do I convert it with CDex without an actual CD? I also have ogg file that I have been unsucessful converting. Driving me nuts here
raina

Post by raina »

Finding the Convert menu at least? I tried the option "Re-encode Compressed Audio File(s)" which seemed to "transcode" an MP3 and a WAV file into MP3.. according to (as far as I can tell) my Encoder settings in Options > Settings.

If you require the aforementioned IMA ADPCM WAV conversion (for DS), you should select the Wav Output Encoder and configure it like JDigital says. I imagine running the converter after doing this should get you the music in proper format.

You didn't specify but I did assume you are targeting the DS. Otherwise (like playing on a desktop platform), the conversion isn't required as ScummVM is able to use the mp3s as is.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

If you need to make the files DS compatible Audacity does the job. Or Goldwave.
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#cdaudio

If you have the proper Amiga .dat files then there is a test version for desktop at the link.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7474
Even if you don't have the original files this site has the Amiga demo for download if you want to try it.