Sierra Classic Collections

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

washac1

Sierra Classic Collections

Post by washac1 »

Hi

Just got hold of three Sierra Classic Collections.

Kings Quest, Space Quest and Leisure suit Larry.

Can these classic collections be run under ScummVM as they are DOS versions
and I would like to run them under ScummVM on my Mac.

If so how ?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The platform for which the games were originally intended is not an issue. To run these games on your mac you will need to:
  • 1) dowload ScummVM for MacOS X from the download page if you have not already done so.
    2) copy the files listed on that page from your Sierra Classic Collection CD onto a directory on your hard drive (a different directory for each game).
    3) start ScummVM, click on Add Game and choose the directory in which you have copied the game files
    4) Play
This, and more infos are available in the ReadMe provided with ScummVM, in the FAQ and in the 'work in progress' manual. You could at least look at one of them. Also I am sure that if you searched in the forum you would see that question has already been asked and answered.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Only the AGI games will run in the current release of ScummVM (0.13.0). With those collections, that's KQ2, KQ3, SQ2.
The SCI games (i.e. all the others) will hopefully be supported in the future, but are not yet.

You can run any of the games on any platform that ScummVM runs.
As for how to get them running, check the FAQ:
http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php

Note: they're compressed on the disc, you'll have to install them to a windows computer, then copy the data files from there.

Edit: Dammit, too slow
Last edited by spookypeanut on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

In the meantime, DOSBox should work quite well with the games that ScummVM does not support.
washac1

Post by washac1 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:In the meantime, DOSBox should work quite well with the games that ScummVM does not support.
Whilst awaiting a reply here I have downloaded and installed boxer.

Thing is I need a real noobie guide to using it ????????

Should have stated the Sierra CDs I have bought are those classic collection ones
which have several games on and include DOSbox, cannot see any of the game files on the CDs..
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

washac1 wrote: Whilst awaiting a reply here I have downloaded and installed boxer.

Thing is I need a real noobie guide to using it ????????
Hmm... I have this vague recollection that the most recent collections came with some sort of Windows installer, but of course that won't run on Mac so the files had to be unpacked some other way... I'm sorry, I just don't remember any details right now.

(If it's one of the older collections, it should be much simpler.)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The old collections don't come with DOSBox so it has to be the new ones. Aren't the game files juxt zipped? I have the newer SQ collection but I never use it because I have the older better one.
washac1

Post by washac1 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:The old collections don't come with DOSBox so it has to be the new ones. Aren't the game files juxt zipped? I have the newer SQ collection but I never use it because I have the older better one.
Cannot see any games files of any description on the CDs...
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

So what DO you see on the CDs?
What files do you have?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MusicallyInspired wrote:The old collections don't come with DOSBox so it has to be the new ones. Aren't the game files juxt zipped? I have the newer SQ collection but I never use it because I have the older better one.
I didn't see anything about the collections in this thread containing DOSBox (maybe I missed it), but now that I'm home I can finally check my copy of the Space Quest collection.

Apart from Manuals, DOSBox, Acrobat Reader, etc. most of the space is occupied by some InstallShield files (data1.cab, data1.hdr and data2.cab). I'm not sure how to unpack them on Mac OS X. On my Linux box, I used a program called Unshield. This unpacked the archive into a bunch of more-or-less helpfully named folders, where Files1, Files2, Files3, Files4, Files5, and Files6 contained each of the games. I don't remember if I ever got this particular version of Space Quest 6 to run in DOSBox. I seem to remember using another release I bought separately.

I've seen web pages about how to improve the music and patch known bugs, but I don't remember the link at the moment.
washac1

Post by washac1 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
I didn't see anything about the collections in this thread containing DOSBox (maybe I missed it), but now that I'm home I can finally check my copy of the Space Quest collection.

Apart from Manuals, DOSBox, Acrobat Reader, etc. most of the space is occupied by some InstallShield files (data1.cab, data1.hdr and data2.cab). I'm not sure how to unpack them on Mac OS X. On my Linux box, I used a program called Unshield. This unpacked the archive into a bunch of more-or-less helpfully named folders, where Files1, Files2, Files3, Files4, Files5, and Files6 contained each of the games. I don't remember if I ever got this particular version of Space Quest 6 to run in DOSBox. I seem to remember using another release I bought separately.

I've seen web pages about how to improve the music and patch known bugs, but I don't remember the link at the moment.

Thats it, thing is I cant unarch the .cab files etc

Not to worry they were only cheap to buy so no real money wasted.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

washac1 wrote: Thats it, thing is I cant unarch the .cab files etc

I can't say for sure it will work, but I used a MacOS X version of Unshield in the past for other games. I compiled it myself, but you can probably find already compiled version on the internet (e.g. try "unshield mac" in google).

For the games for which it didn't work, I used Darwine (a mac port of wine) to execute the windows installer and then copy the files where I wanted to have them.

The problem is that both unshield and darwine are a bit complicated to install/use.
washac1

Post by washac1 »

criezy wrote:
washac1 wrote: Thats it, thing is I cant unarch the .cab files etc

I can't say for sure it will work, but I used a MacOS X version of Unshield in the past for other games. I compiled it myself, but you can probably find already compiled version on the internet (e.g. try "unshield mac" in google).

For the games for which it didn't work, I used Darwine (a mac port of wine) to execute the windows installer and then copy the files where I wanted to have them.

The problem is that both unshield and darwine are a bit complicated to install/use.
Sure are :(
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

It seems WinRAR supports .cab files, but their OSX client is commandline only.

I you can't figure that out then the best think to do is ask around on a Mac forum about .cab files, I think.