Indy3 copy protection problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jorpho

Indy3 copy protection problems

Post by Jorpho »

I was just poking at my odd French copy of Indy3 prior to putting it on eBay. That's the one I mentioned here - if you want it, speak up now.

As reported in that old post, I had no problems getting this game to work in ScummVM 0.8.0. However, trying it with 0.12.0 just now, I end up being shown the "Carnet de Traduction" copy protection scheme. Trying to enter a random answer results in failure.

I've read the readme, of course:
There is no way for us to tell the difference between legitimate and pirated data files, so for the games where we know that a cracked version of the original interpreter was sold at some point, ScummVM will always have to bypass the copy protection.

In some cases ScummVM will still show the copy protection screen. Try entering any answer. Chances are that it will work.

ScummVM will skip copy protection in the following games:
Indy3 isn't shown in the list, but I am certain that the Lucasarts Classic Adventures bundle version did not have this copy protection.

[The Secret of Monkey Island still shows its copy protection scheme, but it's the EGA version, so that's understandable.]

What's going on here?
Last edited by Jorpho on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The copy protection is only enabled for the EGA version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. We don't know of any complications or releases of the EGA version, that had the copy protection disabled (via code, not scripts).
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

Ah, I didn't realize Last Crusade came in EGA and VGA versions.

In that case, shouldn't Indy3 (VGA) be on that list? Or is there no such thing as a version of Indy3 (VGA) that ever had that copy protection?
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Jorpho wrote:In that case, shouldn't Indy3 (VGA) be on that list? Or is there no such thing as a version of Indy3 (VGA) that ever had that copy protection?
No, the VGA versions of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, actually had the copy protection removed from the scripts.
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

I guess that explains everything, then. Thanks!
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I'm just trying out this very game. The VGA version - I'd like to try both and I really enjoy good EGA graphics, I seriously think they look much better than for example 3D graphics. And the problem is I can't even undeestand how to use the copy protection. I have the game's manual on my screen, but: a) I can't see those symbols included in the copy protection in the manual; b) nothing seems to correspond to those "section n etc." hints. What and where is section n?
(n = any natural number)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Nowhere Girl wrote:I'm just trying out this very game. The VGA version - I'd like to try both and I really enjoy good EGA graphics, I seriously think they look much better than for example 3D graphics. And the problem is I can't even undeestand how to use the copy protection. I have the game's manual on my screen, but: a) I can't see those symbols included in the copy protection in the manual; b) nothing seems to correspond to those "section n etc." hints. What and where is section n?
(n = any natural number)
Forum rule #0

Go buy the game. It costs 6EUR on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/32310/

or, you can buy it together with Fate of Atlantis, Loom and The Dig for 9EUR. That's 9EUR for 4 fantastic games. Go buy them:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/