Noob Graphics/Resolution/pixel question

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Antroid

Noob Graphics/Resolution/pixel question

Post by Antroid »

Hi, I'm new to using Scummvm and I just finished playing though Monkey Island 3 but the graphics seemed a bit impaired and pixelated.

Currently I'm playing through Broken Sword 2 and I'de really like to be able to play with decent - smoothe graphics.

As far as I'm aware I have the best graphics options ticked and checked so is it a resolution problem? and if so how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

what are you expecting here? Crysis smoothness?
Obviously these games are old and run at a lower resolution then I presume you use on your desktop. Your best bet is to use one of the scalers available in ScummVM. For the aforementioned two games I would recommend H2QX, but playing around with the different options might yield a result more to your liking.

Also, Iit's kinda hard to tell what you are talking about with so few details. posting a screenshot might prove usefull.
Antroid

Post by Antroid »

This is a screen shot in game and rather than being pixelated it seems that some of the edges of certain objects (Mainly that which move) are blocky.

These are the settings that im currently using: Image

My destops resolution is 1024x768. As for 'smootheness' I only want to play the game as it should look but if this isn't possible then Il'l just have to do without,cheers.[/img]
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

hehe, well, sorry to disappoint you, but that IS how the game is supposed to look like, it was how it looked in the original, if not better.

I can see what you mean by them appearing 'blocky' but that is because they are animated sprites, and trust me, it's not looking any better for anyone else;)
Antroid

Post by Antroid »

All right, thanks for putting my mind at ease.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

actually, if I remember correctly if you start up broken sword 2 and go into the options there should be a slider for adjusting sprite detail in the game. you should try that, but it is only specifically for that game.
oduverne

Post by oduverne »

You have to select HQ2X also for broken sword by editing the game properties in scummvm.
Games that have resolutions higher than 320x240 do not use the filter defined in the global options.
I may be wrong, I can't test it now.