ScummVM-GUI: Problem with ISO-Latin characters

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jacks

ScummVM-GUI: Problem with ISO-Latin characters

Post by Jacks »

I don't remember if this problem already occurred with other version, but i noticed that the spanish characters á,é,í,ó,ú are not shown properly int the GUI, but only in the ingame menus and in the title bar.

For example:

"Gobliins 2: El príncipe bufón" is shown in the title bar as
"Gobliins 2: El pr!ncipe buf!n"

And the ingame advertisement "F9: Subtítulos ON/OFF" is shown as "F9: Subt!tulos ON/OFF".

Should I change something in the global config or I should report it as a bug?

This happens in Vista, i did not try in Ubuntu because i had some problems in the 0.12 install.

Thanks a lot.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM-GUI: Problem with ISO-Latin characters

Post by DrMcCoy »

Jacks wrote:I don't remember if this problem already occurred with other version, but i noticed that the spanish characters á,é,í,ó,ú are not shown properly int the GUI, but only in the ingame menus and in the title bar.
I'm sorry, but where is it printed correctly, where incorrectly? Did you enter the text in question yourself, or is it something prompted by the game, or by ScummVM?
Jacks wrote:And the ingame advertisement "F9: Subtítulos ON/OFF" is shown as "F9: Subt!tulos ON/OFF".
When you mean in-game, do you mean printed by the game (in the in-game menus where you save and load, for example) or by ScummVM (in the launcher or the title bar of the window, for example)? If the first, which game in which language? And where exactly?

Could you provide a screenshot that shows the problem?
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

The characters are printed correctly in the main menu, in the avaible games list:

However, in the title bar the characters are not printed correctly. While in the Windows Version, in the title bar appears something like "Gobliins 2: El pr!ncipe buf!on" instead "Gobliins 2: El príncipe bufón", in the ubuntu version (the screenshots are of this version), when the title has one of these characters, the title bar shows the version ID instead the game name:

Gobliins 2:

Simon 2:

Monkey 2 (displayed properly because it hasn't got any of these characters):

And, at last, the ingame GUI advertisement, does not appear propertly either:

I know this is a tiny thing, but maybe you didn't notice before.

As always, thanks a lot for this amazing project.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jacks wrote: However, in the title bar the characters are not printed correctly. While in the Windows Version, in the title bar appears something like "Gobliins 2: El pr!ncipe buf!on" instead "Gobliins 2: El príncipe bufón", in the ubuntu version (the screenshots are of this version), when the title has one of these characters, the title bar shows the version ID instead the game name:
It looks like SDL expects the window title to be encoded with UTF-8. ScummVM uses ISO 8859-1 ("Latin-1") internally. I've submitted a patch to convert the string to UTF-8 if necessary, and it seems to work fine on my Linux box. But I have no way of testing it on other systems.

I don't know about the other problem.
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

Whith the patch the caption works as espected

Today's trunk WinXP Spanish

The other issue, looks the same. I don't know the encode in the game files but is a charset problem