can't save game?!

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Collector wrote:Do you have Vista?
My brother is using Vista on his laptop.
md5 wrote:Go to start->run and paste the following:

code: cmd /c echo Y | cacls "C:\Program Files\Broken Sword\saves" /P "%username%":F /T

This will grant the logged on user full permissions for the folder C:\Program Files\Broken Sword\saves, including subfolders
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference. It still comes up with that error message when trying to save. :( After i copied and pasted the path you gave me, md5, it came up with a cmd box and then disappeared. I presume it worked though.

Where it says %username%, in that path, am i supposed to put in my brother's username, or doesn't it matter? If i do, then we don't know what it is. :?
Collector

Post by Collector »

Try using another folder than on in the Program Files folder, one that you have write permissions to.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Great! Thanks Collector! That seemed to do the trick. :D I created a folder called Saved Data in my brother's Documents folder, got ScummVM to find the path, loaded the game up, saved it and it works!

Strange how it refuses to work properly within the actual game directory. Plus, when i save it in this new folder, there are no files present. It's completely empty. :shock:

Still, it works and my brother can save away. Thanks again. :wink:
gamin

Post by gamin »

never underestimate the "magic workaround" when you have a write permission problem : right-click on the EXE and select "Run as administrator". this saves me lots of time...
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

gamin wrote:never underestimate the "magic workaround" when you have a write permission problem : right-click on the EXE and select "Run as administrator". this saves me lots of time...
Except that you don't do that.
gamin

Post by gamin »

??? sorry DrMcCoy, I don't get it on this. why do you say that ?
clem

Post by clem »

gamin wrote:??? sorry DrMcCoy, I don't get it on this. why do you say that ?
Because you should not run user-software in administrator mode. The distinction between restricted accounts and administrator accounts is there for a reason, afterall.

/me goes back to fiddling with his XP installtion, where every day is "I'm administrator" day :)