Inherit the Earth Freezing

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DeliciousOats

Inherit the Earth Freezing

Post by DeliciousOats »

On the newest version of ScummVM, Inherit the Earth is completely freezing right as you walk into the storm sequence following the jailbreak a few moments earlier. Thus far the console hasn't given me an error to report (complete crash) and it seems to be making the game unbeatable. What's going on here? Any workaround?

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Inherit the Earth Freezing

Post by eriktorbjorn »

DeliciousOats wrote:On the newest version of ScummVM, Inherit the Earth is completely freezing right as you walk into the storm sequence following the jailbreak a few moments earlier. Thus far the console hasn't given me an error to report (complete crash) and it seems to be making the game unbeatable. What's going on here? Any workaround?
Unfortunately, Inherit the Earth was one of the games that no one tested before the 0.12.0 release. I guess there must have been a regression since 0.11.1, because the older version works for me.

EDIT: I've filed a bug report, since I had a convenient savegame, and since I've found when the regression was introduced. I don't know what to do about it though. That change was made to fix another Inherit the Earth bug...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Thanks for reporting this and providing a save game. There was a special case for the storm sequence, which got removed by mistake - it matches the original now. This issue is now fixed both in the latest unstable SVN version and branch 0.12.0.

DeliciousOats, you can download the binary for the latest unstable version from the downloads page:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php#SVN

It's updated daily, so hopefully the change will be included in tomorrow's snapshot
Moonspinnerr

The 1994 version of Inherit the Earth

Post by Moonspinnerr »

First, I am not a computer person, But I have one who can help me.

I am playing the 1994 version of inherit the earth. This one freezes in the same storm sequence as described above.

What can I (or my nerd*) do about it?

*I mean that in the most respectful,and admiring way.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

are you using the latest SVN?

if not, go to the bottom of the download page and get the daily build, I guess this hasn't been rectified in the stable release of ScummVM yet.
Moonspinnerr

Re: The 1994 version of Inherit the Earth

Post by Moonspinnerr »

Moonspinnerr wrote:First, I am not a computer person, But I have one who can help me.

I am playing the 1994 version of inherit the earth. This one freezes in the same storm sequence as described above.

What can I (or my nerd*) do about it?

*I mean that in the most respectful,and admiring way.

I Got my Nerd* to look at this thread. He fixed the problem by using an unstable version. I finished the game (Yay!) with no problems at all. :D Must sleep now.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

you're welcome
invwar

Speech script bug in unstable SVN

Post by invwar »

Hi!
I am using the German Version of Inherit the Earth with compressed audio files.

After my 0.12 ScummVM crashed at the storm sequence, I tried the unstable SVN of ScummVM. The bug is gone, but the game has a new bug.
Every time a character speaks, the animation for talking is still in use for one additional second after the speech sequence ended. Because of this a dialogue takes much more time with many pauses during talking. You can avoid the pauses by clicking "." for skipping the line of text, but this is very bothersome.

This bug doesn't exist in the stable 0.12 Version of ScummVM, just in the SVNs.
noize

Re: Speech script bug in unstable SVN

Post by noize »

invwar wrote:Hi!
Every time a character speaks, the animation for talking is still in use for one additional second after the speech sequence ended.
Same bug in IHNM.
And if you turn off subtitles. The speech goes too fast. Lines overlapping each other.

Another bug is that SFX is turned off by default. Both for ITE and IHNM.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

noize wrote:
Every time a character speaks, the animation for talking is still in use for one additional second after the speech sequence ended.
Same bug in IHNM.
And if you turn off subtitles. The speech goes too fast. Lines overlapping each other.

Another bug is that SFX is turned off by default. Both for ITE and IHNM.
Could you please file individual bug reports for those? For what it's worth, I wasn't able to reproduce the speech/subtitles problem. (My best guess was that it might be related to the talk speed setting, but that didn't seem to make any difference.)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I am using the German Version of Inherit the Earth with compressed audio files.

After my 0.12 ScummVM crashed at the storm sequence, I tried the unstable SVN of ScummVM. The bug is gone, but the game has a new bug.
Every time a character speaks, the animation for talking is still in use for one additional second after the speech sequence ended. Because of this a dialogue takes much more time with many pauses during talking. You can avoid the pauses by clicking "." for skipping the line of text, but this is very bothersome.

This bug doesn't exist in the stable 0.12 Version of ScummVM, just in the SVNs.
That bug should be fixed in the latest unstable SVN version