Obsolete: Enhanced ScummVM MIDI music on Windows

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

raina

Post by raina »

Three Headed Jacket wrote: I am sorta curious if this'll work in non-ScummVM games a bit.
Generally, it does. Games I've encountered that were left silent with this configuration are Raptor: Call of the Shadows and Final Fantasy VII.
Leolo

Post by Leolo »

You can add this info to the guide if you want:

First download this update:
http://ftp.roland.co.jp/support/en/down ... VST106.zip

And download also this extractor:
http://www.divshare.com/download/2482968-8ea

Extract the files from VSC-VST106.zip you will find a file called data1.hdr. Remember the folder where that file is located, you'll need it in the next step.

Extract the files from ISCabVU14.rar and double click the ISCabVU.exe file to run a program called "InstallShield Cabinet File Viewer"

Go the the menu "File", click "Open" and search for the "data1.hdr" file to open it. Then click on the button "Display Components" (third one starting from the left). Click on the plus sign in folder "DLL" and click on "Files". Select the VSC.dll file and click on the button "Extract File from Media" (second one starting from the right).

The resulting VSC.dll can be used with SAVIHost and works very well :)

NOTE: Old link was broken, I've edited the post with the new link and instructions.

Kind regards.
Last edited by Leolo on Fri May 28, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trekky

Another nice soundfont

Post by Trekky »

Hi, thanks for a great guide.

Just to share another good general use soundfont I stumbled upon:
http://www.sccmusic.250x.com/sfont/genuser/download.htm

I like the sound of this one personally over the two featured in the guide. ( The Indy Theme on Fate of Atlantis sounds really majestic now :) )

Unfortunately only a windows .exe self-extractor (containing another .exe self-extractor containing the actual .sf2) available at the authors site at the moment. So you need to run the "GUGS_v1_4_rp1.exe" to get to "GeneralUser GS 1.4.sfArk.exe" and run that to get the "GeneralUser GS 1.4.sf2" file that you can drag and drop to sfz/savihost.
raina

Post by raina »

Thanks for the input. I'll have to check out the soundfont.
quackshot

Post by quackshot »

It'is a good soundfont for games !! and the other midi music are better now ! I have a creative sound cards (X-fi and live!) and to load soundfonts is very easier because it's hardware compatible.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

My intro of BASS looks different than the one in the video. No music and beginning with comic strip with an old man next to a fire. And Foster telling all the story of his. Why is this different?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Nikioko wrote:My intro of BASS looks different than the one in the video. No music and beginning with comic strip with an old man next to a fire. And Foster telling all the story of his. Why is this different?
The floppy version of the game has a much different intro than the CD version. I think we got a command line parameter that allows you to view the floppy intro in the CD version of the game (or you can just download both versions and check both out)
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

md5 wrote:
Nikioko wrote:My intro of BASS looks different than the one in the video. No music and beginning with comic strip with an old man next to a fire. And Foster telling all the story of his. Why is this different?
The floppy version of the game has a much different intro than the CD version. I think we got a command line parameter that allows you to view the floppy intro in the CD version of the game (or you can just download both versions and check both out)
OK, thanks. I just have the CD version (on the original CD). I'll try that.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote: The floppy version of the game has a much different intro than the CD version. I think we got a command line parameter that allows you to view the floppy intro in the CD version of the game (or you can just download both versions and check both out)
The --alt-intro command-line option. It also works with Flight of the Amazon Queen, though I don't know where that alternative intro there comes from.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

I was just wondering why the floppy version features music, and the CD version doesn't.
rogerthehart

Updated URL

Post by rogerthehart »

I've been going thru this on Vista and got stuck at SFZ - the URL redirected to cakewalk and was "not found".

Here is an updated URL for SFZ sample player:
http://www.cakewalk.com/support/project5/sfz.aspx

will continue now...
raina

Re: Updated URL

Post by raina »

rogerthehart wrote:I've been going thru this on Vista and got stuck at SFZ - the URL redirected to cakewalk and was "not found".

Here is an updated URL for SFZ sample player:
http://www.cakewalk.com/support/project5/sfz.aspx
Thanks, I updated the guide.

EDIT: ...And I can see the whole guide has become obsolete now that the Windows version of ScummVM comes with FluidSynth as well. Of course you can still apply it to other apps and games.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

So is Fluidsynth supposed to be better than Roland?
Deleauvive

Post by Deleauvive »

Great guide, thanks. It worked for me, and I think this method is to be favored over the Timidity one.

I used the GeneralUser GS v1.43 SoftSynth soundbank (about 30MB, there are FluidSynth and "Soundblaster" versions... nice !), which can be downloaded from S. Christian Collins web site http://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php

here are a few remarks :
  • Effects were disabled and my Drum Channel was set to 128 (I own an Audigy 2 ZS)
  • If you tick Autosave plugin bank from the file menu, the program will save/load your soundbank automatically
  • Apparently, the SAVIHost must be running all the time to hear the MIDI channel in ScummVM
  • If I am not mistaken, newer scummVM builds (I use 0.120ore) do not incorporate FluidSynth
Out of curiosity, did someone experience enhanced music in not-yet-in-scummVM adventure games (in games running via DOSBox, not to name it) ?
Timar

Post by Timar »

I don't know if this is already known here, but there is yet another (very simple) way to obtain a decent MIDI sound on Windows XP (it just works on XP though).

Microsoft is giving away the faboulous Yamaha Softsnyth S-YXG50 with a 4MB wavetable for free (yes, indeed, Microsoft!).
All you need, the download link and a setup guide you'll find here on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_s ... YXG_series

Make sure you download the version with the 4MB wavetable, and to change the registry key for the sampling frequency from default 22.050 to 44.100khz.

Now you can select the Yamaha Synth as MIDI device and enjoy the sound of your favourite ScummVM games :D