COMI - no music in cut scenes

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

littleshinydemon

COMI - no music in cut scenes

Post by littleshinydemon »

Hi everybody,

I have searched around the forum looking for an answer to this problem, but I haven't found anything on it, however if it is already posted then my apologies in advance.

I am running COMI using ScummVM 0.12.0 on Windows Vista 64. The game runs very well and the audio is perfect, except for the cut scenes where the audio just fades out and then the whole cut scene continues without any sound until the in game part starts again.

On the console it comes up with the following messages
WARNING: ImuseDigiSndMgr: : prepareSoundFromRMAP: Wrong version of compressed *.bun file, expected 3, but it's 2!

and then it suggests to recompress with latest tool from daily builds.

I vaugely understand what it is saying, but not really:) This is the first time I have used ScummVM so I am still coming to grips with the programme.

Finally just wanted to say what a cool programme this is and thank you to the guys that have developed it!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Hello

You need to get the audio files from the original game media and recompress them with the ScummVM tools. You should already know how to do that, right?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: COMI - no music in cut scenes

Post by eriktorbjorn »

littleshinydemon wrote: On the console it comes up with the following messages
WARNING: ImuseDigiSndMgr: : prepareSoundFromRMAP: Wrong version of compressed *.bun file, expected 3, but it's 2!

and then it suggests to recompress with latest tool from daily builds.

I vaugely understand what it is saying, but not really:) This is the first time I have used ScummVM so I am still coming to grips with the programme.
The simplest way, of course, is to copy the uncompressed music (and speech?) files from the original CDs. You don't have to compress them, it's just a way to save disk space.

I believe the reason for the warning is that older versions of the compression program threw away some information that was necessary to support some music-related features in The Curse of Monkey Island. These missing features were implemented fairly recently, fixing several more or less noticeable glitches.

If you still want the files compressed, you have to compress the original files again, but with a newer version of the compression tool.
id1402

Post by id1402 »

It's strange.
I'm running ScummVM 0.12.0 too, there is the same console output WARNINGs, but music runs very well. I just tried the first cutscene, the part from the very beginning of the game until Guybrush finds himself enclosed with the small pirate firing the canon.

Code: Select all

# scummvm
Using configuration file: /home/id1402/.scummvmrc
User picked target 'comi-de' (gameid 'comi')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Scumm Engine
  Starting 'The Curse of Monkey Island'
WARNING: ImuseDigiSndMgr::prepareSoundFromRMAP: Wrong version of compressed *.bun file, expected 3, but it's 2!
WARNING: Suggested to recompress with latest tool from daily builds!
WARNING: ImuseDigiSndMgr::prepareSoundFromRMAP: Wrong version of compressed *.bun file, expected 3, but it's 2!
When speaking with the small pirate, every new sentence spoken results in a new output:

But everything ok with music and speech.

I compressed the files years ago using scummvm-tools-0.10.0 and ogg vorbis.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

id1402 wrote: But everything ok with music and speech.
From what I remember (I no longer have my old compressed files), the problems don't show up until later. One of the features that used to be missing is that when you enter the Voodoo Lady's house, the music should change seamlessly to a different version of the music. And then again, when summoning the Voodoo Lady.

The effect is quite subtle, and mimics the effect in Monkey Island 2 where new instruments are added to the theme the closer you get to her home. But in earlier versions of ScummVM, the new music simply played from the beginning, making the change very noticeable. Another example is in the barber shop, where the music changes depending to which of the pirates you are talking to.

I don't think either of these work right with the old compressed files, but they do with the uncompressed ones and, presumably, with ones compressed with the newer tool. I can't recall the other glitches that were fixed (I reported them, but I had nothing to do with the actual fixing). I think there were a few cases where the music stopped when it shouldn't. That, too, may have depended on information missing from files compressed with the older version of the tool.

And that is why ScummVM prints a warning.
littleshinydemon

Post by littleshinydemon »

Hi everybody,

thanks very much for your contributions they were a great help!
id1402

Post by id1402 »

Thank you, eriktorbjorn. I understand. ScummVM runs well, but the developer team wants to make it run perfectly. Good work. I will encode COMI music with new tools.
This improvement in COMI music isn't mentioned in changelog. There is only
- Rewrote parts of Digital iMUSE, fixing some bugs.
Where can I read which games are affected? Are there other games, where sound-files needs to be encoded with new encoder tools?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

id1402 wrote:Where can I read which games are affected? Are there other games, where sound-files needs to be encoded with new encoder tools?
I'm not sure, I'm not that familiar with this part of the code. I think The Curse of Monkey Island is the only game that needs it, though it probably warns for The Dig as well. I believe those two games are the only ones that use that kind of files for music/speech.
id1402

Post by id1402 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:I'm not sure, I'm not that familiar with this part of the code. I think The Curse of Monkey Island is the only game that needs it, though it probably warns for The Dig as well. I believe those two games are the only ones that use that kind of files for music/speech.
You are right. The Curse of Monkey Island and The Dig are the only games. 2 *bun files for The Dig and 4 *bun files for The Curse of Monkey Island. I compressed them with the new compress_scumm_bun, no WARNINGs more with ScummVM 0.12.0.
Playing the newly compressed *bun files with the old ScummVM 0.10.0 causes ScummVM 0.10.0 to crash with message

ImuseDigiSndMgr::prepareSoundFromRMAP: Wrong version number, expected 2, but it's: 3.!
Flo

Post by Flo »

Do you absolutely need a daily build or are the 0.12 tools sufficiently up to date?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

id1402 wrote: Playing the newly compressed *bun files with the old ScummVM 0.10.0 causes ScummVM 0.10.0 to crash with message

ImuseDigiSndMgr::prepareSoundFromRMAP: Wrong version number, expected 2, but it's: 3.!
This is normal, the older version is telling you that it can't understand the compression used
id1402

Post by id1402 »

md5 wrote:This is normal, the older version is telling you that it can't understand the compression used
Of curse. I thought, ScummVM 0.10.0 would crash before trying.
Flo wrote:Do you absolutely need a daily build or are the 0.12 tools sufficiently up to date?
0.12.0 tools are up to date for ScummVM 0.12.0.