Connecting to SVN

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SuperDre

Connecting to SVN

Post by SuperDre »

I'm using RapidSVN at the moment for retrieving SVN stuff, but for some reason, I can't get it to work..

when adding http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... mvm/trunk/ as a new bookmark all I get is the following error:

Error: Error while updating filelist (PROPFIND request failed on '/viewvc/scummvm/scummvm/trunk'
PROPFIND of '/viewvc/scummvm/scummvm/trunk': 302 Found (http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net))

I'm not really used to SVN (we're using SourceSafe6 at work, which works excellent for what we do), and I didn't want to use TortoiseSVN because it hooks into the windowssystem with unnecessary overhead in the background when I'm not using it.
Later I'll be checking out AnkhSVN for integration into VS2008.. but for now I want to use this SVN client..
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

You´re trying to checkout with the adress of the visual "explorer" (ViewVC) for the SVN but not for the SVN itself.
Try a SVN commandline client with the following line:

Code: Select all

svn co https://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scummvm scummvm
If you only want the trunk then use a commandline like that:

svn co https://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scummvm/scummvm/trunk trunk
Or use the

https://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scummvm/scummvm
URL in your SVN tool.

More information about the SVN can be found here

To update later an already existing SVN checkout use:

svn up
or

svn update
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Connecting to SVN

Post by md5 »

SuperDre wrote:I'm not really used to SVN (we're using SourceSafe6 at work, which works excellent for what we do), and I didn't want to use TortoiseSVN because it hooks into the windowssystem with unnecessary overhead in the background when I'm not using it.
You can remove that, the background process is there to update the folder and file icons of changed files, but you can change it to only update the icons of the items in the current folder, or not update the icons at all. Either option removes the background process of TortoiseSVN and has no overhead
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Thanx.. it works now...
I've been looking for the specified svn url everywhere and the only one I could find was the Visual one..

Maybe it's best to add this svnurl in the wiki on the developerscentral page, http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Developer_Central
I suggest putting it with a seperate header above the 'SVN/CSV Statistics' header..
clem

Post by clem »

SuperDre wrote:Thanx.. it works now...
I've been looking for the specified svn url everywhere and the only one I could find was the Visual one..

Maybe it's best to add this svnurl in the wiki on the developerscentral page, http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Developer_Central
I suggest putting it with a seperate header above the 'SVN/CSV Statistics' header..
The exact SVN command to check out ScummVM can be found at http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=37116
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Well, I dumped RapidSVN because it crashed a lot.. Now I'm trying AnkhSVN.. ofcourse next problem arrises.

When I opened the project via SVN (and VS2008), it nicely got the 'whole' project (and it almost compiled in 'debug' (there was a problem in the tinsel engine))..
But that was before the release of 0.12, Now when I updated the project (selecting the solution and then 'update..' it comes up with a window and a lot of files (pre)selected, revision is at 'head'..
So it starts updating the bugger (which is veeeeeerrrrrryyy slow), but after it was finished, I tried building the solution, but it came up with a lot of errors (well actually the same error for every project): it was missing common/queu.h (or something like that, can't see the original name now, as I'm trying to "update" again)..
when I look in the solution explorer at project scummvm and there Common, I see the file, but instead of a green check, I see a blue questionmark in front of it.
I have totally no idea how to get AnkhSVN to retrieve all new files from the repository without me having to check every project for missing files (and with that, I still don't know how to retrieve the missing files using AnkhSVN)..
I also tried the 'retrieve latest version' on the solution, but it didn't retrieve any new files..
Documentation on AnkhSVN is pretty lousy.. I'm using AnkhSVN -2.0.4757.115 at the moment..
(Yeah, well, I suck at SVN I guess.. I know when I used TortoiseSVN I could just click on the folder and select somthing like 'retrieve latest version'...
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

If you don´t like TortoiseSVN or when having problems with AnkhSVN then just take a command line version of svn without the "GUI" shell overhead and make the path to the subversion binaries available under Windows.
Now open a console window (just run "cmd.exe"), cd to the folder of your already checked out sources and type "svn up" for updating them.
That´s all.
It would be now also easy just to place a batch script in this folder with the same commandline so that on a mouse click your ScummVM sources would be updated.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The problems you are/were seeing are not caused by your SVN client, though. You just experienced a frequent problem that you get when you try to use the "bleeding edge" version of a project: At times it simply doesn't compile, crashes a lot or is just extremely buggy. In your particular case, the MSVC files were not updated to contain the very recently added common/queue.h file. This particular issue should be fixed now.

But again, be warned: If you don't really know what you are doing (and to be frank, it doesn't sound as if you are), it can be risky to use latest version. :)
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

But I just think I'm doing something wrong, so is there someone who also uses AnkhSVN with VS2008 and Scummvm with the main trunk?
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

fingolfin wrote:But again, be warned: If you don't really know what you are doing (and to be frank, it doesn't sound as if you are), it can be risky to use latest version. :)
LOL.. I must admit that I don't really know what I'm doing using SVN this way (used TortoiseSVN in the past in combination with unrealscript (UT2004 mod TO-Crossfire)).. and I also must admit I'm not really familiar with VS2008, but I'm used to other IDE's.. Once I get the needed files, and once it compiles (didn't have the time to check why it didn't compile before, and that's what I wanted to check out, but then I ran into the SVN problem of not adding/updating new files), I can start tinkering with the code (as that's something I do know).. hehe..
It's just getting it up and running once, then I'll be ok.. been programming about 25 years now (12 professionally), but never really did any C++ before other than reading some code and converting it to other languages..

I'll try tomorrow again, as I got a PROFIND error during updating.. now I'm gonna eat and watch some tv..
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Honestly, just use TortoiseSVN or the command line version of svn. If you're getting such weird errors, try reverting the file or just delete it (manually) so that svn will pick up a new copy for you
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

I'm now using a daily build of AnkSVN (AnkhSvn-Daily-2.0.5100.174) which seems to work fine.. When I use 'Update to latest version' now on the sln it seems to get it nicely (although the SVN server is quite slow IMHO).. And I just build a nice debug version.. So now I can check it out to see if I can be of any help...