Mac SCUMM Game Music & Sound Effects "Not Quite Rig

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rafi

Mac SCUMM Game Music & Sound Effects "Not Quite Rig

Post by rafi »

I've done some searching and can't find anything precisely addressing this issue, so my apologies if this has already been addressed in one context or another...

In playing through Monkey Island 2 (Mac version from my own floppies, playing on a MacBook Pro) this past week, I realized that the music and sound effects were a little different than my glory days on on an LC II. Specifically, I remember sound effects which aren't in the game when I play it in ScummVM, like:
-A "Kersplat" sound when picking the difficulty level at the very beginning
-A splat sound when Largo spits at the wall in the saloon at the beginning of the game
-The metronome making a clear ticking sound when it's turned on in the saloon.
-A "kicked bucket" sound played as part of the music when you're in the saloon at the high point in the music (sorry it's so vague on that, but short of humming it for you, it's hard to describe).
-More of a bass beat in the Voodoo Swamp with a more audible percussion underbeat.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Am I going nuts, or do I remember my middle school days pretty accurately? :?

Thanks,
Rafi

P.S. I should note that I've pretty much gone through all of the MIDI and Music options available (and hey, CoreAudio sounds FANTASTIC, and I'll be using that from now on), but nothing replicates what I'm pretty sure I remember—especially with those sound effects.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

lenocinor

Post by lenocinor »

The music in the emulated Mac port sounds very different from the actual Mac port music. I recorded (virtually) all of the Mac soundtrack over a year and a half, so I ought to know. :) I don't know if the devs could benefit from hearing it to compare, but if anyone would like a copy of the MI2 Mac soundtrack for testing please let me know.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Did you read the link I posted at all?
lenocinor

Post by lenocinor »

fingolfin wrote:Did you read the link I posted at all?
I did. There was one comment in there about having difficulty accessing the instruments needed for the soundtrack. But would it be impossible for the user to include a MacBinary encoded file for iMuse Setups?

And the second-to-last comment was mentioning about someone feeling like looking into the problem more deeply. I was hoping to make things easier by at least providing a reference that the soundtrack could be compared against without actually owning the Mac port. Furthermore, I have an extensive set of recording notes detailing second-accurate timings for actions to produce the songs in-game, in effect providing a large suite of test cases. I would also be willing to beta-test any work on the Mac soundtrack personally.

I was hoping that all this might make development of better Mac sound for MI2 easier and thus give someone motivation to try. Have I missed some other issue here?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

lenocinor wrote:
I did. There was one comment in there about having difficulty accessing the instruments needed for the soundtrack. But would it be impossible for the user to include a MacBinary encoded file for iMuse Setups?
It meant there that there is a quite big effort of implementing that in code, not that there are any difficulties with getting access to the data bytes.

Eugene
lenocinor

Post by lenocinor »

sev wrote:
lenocinor wrote:
It meant there that there is a quite big effort of implementing that in code, not that there are any difficulties with getting access to the data bytes.

Eugene
Ok, so it seems that implementing this would take a lot of work, which is what I figured. But I'm a programmer myself, and if no one else wants to try tackling it I'd like to give it a shot. Just so I know what I'm getting into, what changes do you think would be involved, at a high level?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Help is always welcome, we're an open source project :) You're free to check the code and provide patches using our patch tracker. As for what changes are involved... I'm not familiar with that part of the code myself, however I believe that's a change that will affect the SCUMM engine itself only, so it would be best to check the code of the engine itself first (i.e. the /trunk/engines/scumm folder)
lenocinor

Post by lenocinor »

md5 wrote:Help is always welcome, we're an open source project :) You're free to check the code and provide patches using our patch tracker. As for what changes are involved... I'm not familiar with that part of the code myself, however I believe that's a change that will affect the SCUMM engine itself only, so it would be best to check the code of the engine itself first (i.e. the /trunk/engines/scumm folder)
I'll give it a look-see and report back (much) later. Thanks for the heads-up.