Unable to play both adlib and MIDI in MI1

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jihanj

Unable to play both adlib and MIDI in MI1

Post by jihanj »

I tried to play Secret of Monkey Island (VGA floppy version) in a long while but couldn't get it to play music with Windows MIDI while playing sound effects with adlib. I've the Mixed Adlib/MIDI option but I only hear MIDI music with no sound effects (door opening, stew boiling, etc.) I tried Indy 4 and MI2, which I know to also have both MIDI and adlib effects and they work just fine. But somehow I can't for the life of me get MI1 to playback both music and effects. Now when I choose adlib instead of Windows MIDI both adlib music and effects play fine. But no luck with midi/adlib combined. I tried it on two separate PCs to no avail. Any advice?

The OS is Windows XP.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Open the sound mixer panel from your taskbar (usually a speaker icon), and check the midi volume isn't set to nothing, then check SCUMM VM's volume setting and the one inside the floppy version. That being said though there isn't a lot of music in the pre iMUSE games like MI except on the CD version, though I know MI does have some.

If those don't work, how about telling me what your soundcard and OS are because depending on those details you might have other problems.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I still get the door opening/closing sound in mixed Adlib/MIDI mode, but not the sound of the boiling pot.

My guess (though I haven't actually checked) is that there is a MIDI version of that sound effect (but not of the door sounds). It's possible that ScummVM plays it wrong, though.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Mixed Adlib/MIDI for Monkey Island (EGA/VGA Floppy) requires ScummVM 0.12.0svn, so make sure you are using a daily snapshot.

Also a couple of sound effects (ie boiling pot) are actually disabled by scripts, when using MIDI music.