Aspect Ratio Correction on FM Towns Games

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ZvikaZ

Re: Aspect Ratio Correction on FM Towns Games

Post by ZvikaZ »

OmerMor wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm I played a bit with the Hybrid FM-Towns / Hebrew version of Loom and the following binary:
https://github.com/ZvikaZ/scummvm/relea ... -K22Im2EwU

The only problem I noticed so far (I didn't play much) was at Cygna's grave:
scummvm-loom-fm-00002.png

You mentioned it was fixed in z_zm_height_200_v4, so it might be a regression.
That was indeed a tough one...
First I tried to split the text to two, with a waiting between them. But it was too difficult to implement, and required an ugly hack.
I ended with relocating the text, and adding vertical space between its two sections.
It's not perfect now, but I think it's good enough.

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/ZvikaZ/scummvm
git checkout z_zm_height_200_v8
Well, more feedback is welcome ;-)
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

ZvikaZ wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:28 pm
OmerMor wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm I played a bit with the Hybrid FM-Towns / Hebrew version of Loom and the following binary:
https://github.com/ZvikaZ/scummvm/relea ... -K22Im2EwU

The only problem I noticed so far (I didn't play much) was at Cygna's grave:
scummvm-loom-fm-00002.png

You mentioned it was fixed in z_zm_height_200_v4, so it might be a regression.
That was indeed a tough one...
First I tried to split the text to two, with a waiting between them. But it was too difficult to implement, and required an ugly hack.
I ended with relocating the text, and adding vertical space between its two sections.
It's not perfect now, but I think it's good enough.

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/ZvikaZ/scummvm
git checkout z_zm_height_200_v8
Well, more feedback is welcome ;-)
I'm glad to hear! Can you please provide a Windows binary?

Another (more complex) possibility would be to skip the subtitles in Cygna's grave altogether.
In the English version, the text is already displayed in English.
For the Hebrew version, we might be able to provide a new image with Hebrew writing. That's what was done for the EGA Hebrew DOS version:
cygna-hebrew.png
cygna-hebrew.png (20.19 KiB) Viewed 8991 times
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

I'm glad to hear! Can you please provide a Windows binary?
Here you go: https://github.com/ZvikaZ/scummvm/files/5049228/v8.zip
Another (more complex) possibility would be to skip the subtitles in Cygna's grave altogether.
Actually, from my side, it's very easy to do. Much easier than what I've already done...
However, I think that my solution is good enough (even though, not perfect), and it's better to leave it as-is.
Regarding the Hebrew translation - I think that making a VGA quality picture of the grave with Hebrew text is too much work - but it's up to you...
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

ZvikaZ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:55 am Here you go: https://github.com/ZvikaZ/scummvm/files/5049228/v8.zip
Great!

This looks much better:
scummvm-loom-fm-00003.png
scummvm-loom-fm-00003.png (51.38 KiB) Viewed 8968 times
I believe this is sufficient. It would be nice to justify the text to the right in the Hebrew version, but it's out of scope of this patch.

Although I didn't test the whole game yet, I think the patch is good to go. After all this is an optional feature, and if other problems would be found, they could be addressed in the future.

Thanks for writing this patch!
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

Although I didn't test the whole game yet, I think the patch is good to go. After all this is an optional feature, and if other problems would be found, they could be addressed in the future.
Well, that makes sense.
However, the issue in Loom is more severe.
The problems I'm afraid of aren't misplaced text, but program crashes.
(That was the situation in the grave scene, for example, before I did anything. When I said [in an old version] that it was fixed - I meant that it stopped crashing, and the text seemed reasonably OK. After you've mentioned this scene again, I returned to it, and improved the text location)

Therefore, I'd really prefer to have someone play Loom from the beginning to the end, and see that there aren't major problems.
It's a short game, I assume it can be finished in an hour with a walkthrough.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

ZvikaZ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm
Well, that makes sense.
(That was the situation in the grave scene, for example, before I did anything. When I said [in an old version] that it was fixed - I meant that it stopped crashing, and the text seemed reasonably OK. After you've mentioned this scene again, I returned to it, and improved the text location)

Therefore, I'd really prefer to have someone play Loom from the beginning to the end, and see that there aren't major problems.
Hey there, I can test it to help get it ready for inclusion. Do you need it captured or just playing normally?
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

Also, should I be getting the warning about CD tracks being ripped to audio? It isn't playing the audio tracks after I set the extra path, unfortunately.

EDIT: nevermind, it hasn't been compiled with mp3 support.
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

elvisish wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:39 pm
ZvikaZ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm
Well, that makes sense.

Hey there, I can test it to help get it ready for inclusion. Do you need it captured or just playing normally?
Thanks. It'd be great.
No need to capture anything.
Just play Loom from beginning to end, and make sure that there aren't any warnings in the console.
If there are warning in the console, or if you encounter any problem, please report to me.
If you finish the game without warnings and problems - great. Please tell me, and I will send a PR.
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

The colors in Annie's office are a little different on the new version, I don't think this is an issue at all, just interesting:
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

@ZvikaZ Seems to be a slight bug in the dragon's lair, trying to actually select the hotspot and get it to stay:
https://imgur.com/CgDRTug
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

elvisish wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:31 pm @ZvikaZ Seems to be a slight bug in the dragon's lair, trying to actually select the hotspot and get it to stay:
https://imgur.com/CgDRTug
Wow!
I've missed that post of yours :-(
I just wandered, maybe there's something new here, and I missed it - and indeed, I missed it.

So, I'm sorry for not responding so long...
Can you please attach a save game? or PM me it?
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

elvisish wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:18 am The colors in Annie's office are a little different on the new version, I don't think this is an issue at all, just interesting:
What game is it?
Are you sure it happens only with my new feature, and doesn't happen without it?
If that's the case, I will have to look into it.
Please supply also a savegame.

Thanks
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

The game should be zakmckracken
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

Raziel wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:56 pm The game should be zakmckracken
Ok. Do you happen to know what room is it?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I don't know the internal room number the scripts use, but it's Annie's office past the bus and the second hand vendor (who also sells lotto tickets) around the block of Zak's apartment.

Just leave Zak's apartment, go right, past the bus, around the block, past the second hand vendor and enter the next door.

I haven't played the game for a long time, so I don't know if you have to wait for something before you can enter Annie's house.

Iirc you need to at least watch the news on your TV until Annie appears for an interview.

Edit: I try to remember to check the game when I got back home