Aspect Ratio Correction on FM Towns Games

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Unno

Aspect Ratio Correction on FM Towns Games

Post by Unno » Tue May 20, 2008 6:19 am

First of all, I'm not sure if this applies to all FM Towns games. The only one I own is Loom, but I have seen Monkey Island screenshots online that seem to confirm it has the same issue.

The games are, of course, at the FM Towns resolution of 320x240, and therefore ScummVM does not bother with stretching them vertically. This would seem to make sense; however, the extra resolution is actually just hud space, and the graphics are just as squashed as the PC version. I'm not sure if it is possible, but it'd be really nice to be able to stretch these games vertically as well (it would be exactly the same amount of stretch). I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement, but it seems like it would be an easy fix.

Aaron

fac

Post by fac » Tue May 20, 2008 10:43 am

They (Lucasarts) took the easy way when changing from 320x200 to 320x200. They just added 40 black lines. Although i only have the FM Towns demos, i also agree that ScummVM should have an option to "fix" the aspect ratio of these FM Towns games (when possible, i.e., when those extra lines aren't used).

After looking at some screenshots (from LucasArts Adventure Museum and other places) this is what i found for the FM Towns game versions:

:arrow: Indy 3: 320x240 resolution with 40 extra unused black lines (see this picture);
:arrow: Indy 4: the FM Towns demo plays at 320x200 in ScummVM;
:arrow: Monkey Island 1: plays at 320x200 - see this pictures). Not sure about the full game in ScummVM;
:arrow: Monkey Island 2 (not sure);
:arrow: Loom: not sure. See these pictures. The extra 40 line are only used in the grave picture. So i'm not sure if they are used in any other picture?
:arrow: Zak McKracken - plays at 320x240 - some of those extra lines are used for the inventory (see this picture).

So, changing the default resolution to 320x200 should be safe at least for all FM-Towns demos and Indy3.

LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe » Tue May 20, 2008 8:43 pm

fac wrote::arrow: Loom: not sure. See these pictures. The extra 40 line are only used in the grave picture.
That particular picture seems a bit odd anyways, as the text just repeats the grave's inscription.
I'd say, applying a hack which just moves the text up by 40 lines, or disables it altogether would be fair enough in order to get rid of all that unused black space otherwise.

And Indy3 really could be changed to 320x200 easily, indeed.

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin » Tue May 20, 2008 9:25 pm

elvisish

Re: Aspect Ratio Correction on FM Towns Games

Post by elvisish » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:51 pm

11 years later and this still isn't an option because of FM Townes authenticity? Why not have it in anyways so people can decide how they want it to look, just as games without subtitles and speech simultaneously do, games intended for a limited amount platforms can be run on any system, and improved scaling routines and graphical scalers can be used?