How to choose a different directory for the scummvm.ini?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ensoniq2k

How to choose a different directory for the scummvm.ini?

Post by ensoniq2k »

Hi!

I wanted to make a collection of all my scumm-games on my SD-Card, including the win32 scummvm. If put the scummvm.exe on the SD Card, it is still reading the scummvm.ini from the c:\windows directory, if i take my games with me to a friend, it is loading again from his windows directory, won't find a scummvm.ini and i have to add my games again, is there any chance to make the scummvm.exe loading it's settings from the same directory where the scummvm.exe is located?

Thanks for your help
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Use the -c command line option. So, just create a shortcut to scummvm.exe with something like "-c .\config.ini", I guess.

See the README file for all this, and more :)
ensoniq2k

Post by ensoniq2k »

Thanks for your help

I just read the whole readme and i'm wondering if i could make the path's of my games, at the moment like "e:\games\scumm\anyscummgame\" to an relative path, so if i copy this scummvm.ini and the games to the memorycard they are not corrupted because the new path would be like "i:\scumm\anyscummgame\" is there a chance of making this working?
clem

Post by clem »

did you try it yet?

I just changed "C:\scummvm\queen" to "\scummvm\queen" in C:\windows\scummvm.ini and it still worked

not sure which drive letter it assumes though when doing that from a removable drive

clem
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

clem wrote:did you try it yet?

I just changed "C:\scummvm\queen" to "\scummvm\queen" in C:\windows\scummvm.ini and it still worked

not sure which drive letter it assumes though when doing that from a removable drive

clem
It assumes the "run from" directory.

Eg, when you start scummvm from a removable device, it takes the removable device's drive letter, thus being drive letter independant.
ensoniq2k

Post by ensoniq2k »

I just changed my ScummVM.ini and now everything works really fine, now i have a great portable game collection, thanks a lot to you all :D
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

It's even better to take ".\" instead of "\"

Example:

You have your ScummVM.ini in C:\ScummVM and all games in subdirectories.

When changing path to \ScummVM, the ScummVM folder always has to be in the root directory.

With .\ScummVM, you can move your entire ScummVM folder around without changing anything. You can put it in C:\Games\ScummVM, D:\My\Favourite\Folder\ScummVM, anywhere you like.