Broken Sword 1: Problem with the second CD

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jarioh

Broken Sword 1: Problem with the second CD

Post by jarioh »

Hi, I keep trying to just play Broken Sword, but I cannot even install it for windows.

So I want to play it via scummvm, and (besides the videos, just found and downloaded them from scummvm.org) it works until I reach the point where I shall insert the second CD.

Nothing works from this point. I tried and copied the content of both CDs to one directory (including the videos), but some speech files seemed to be named insane, so I have all the dialogs from cd1 on cd2.

Has anyone got this playable? It's rated 98% after all ...

I've got the newest release (bought it a week ago)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Broken Sword 1: Problem with the second CD

Post by sev »

jarioh wrote:some speech files seemed to be named insane, so I have all the dialogs from cd1 on cd2.
No wonder. Read Broken Sword 1 section on our game data files page. You should rename speech file.

Eugene
jarioh

Post by jarioh »

Thank you! I renamed the files and I can indeed enter Ireland properly and talk with the boy, but as soon as I enter the pub, the game stops:

WARNING: Cutscene: Could not open ireland.mp2!
Can't read 144 bytes from cluster 167903344

Can you help me?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jarioh wrote:Thank you! I renamed the files and I can indeed enter Ireland properly and talk with the boy, but as soon as I enter the pub, the game stops:

WARNING: Cutscene: Could not open ireland.mp2!
Can't read 144 bytes from cluster 167903344

Can you help me?
I'm not very familiar with the Broken Sword 1 engine myself, but the first message is unrelated to the crash. The ireland.mp2 file is part of the re-encoded cutscenes pack that ScummVM needs to play the cutscenes, since it cannot support the original ones.

The second message is more serious. It means ScummVM tried to read 144 bytes from a data file (probably ireland.clu -- the message should be a bit clearer in ScummVM 0.8.0, but I guess you're using an earlier version), but apparently it failed to. It could mean that your ireland.clu file has somehow been corrupted or truncated. Mine is about 14 MB.
jarioh

Post by jarioh »

Thank you. Indeed there wasnt the Ireland-File at all. Somehow I copied the wrong cds. But Ireland worked, at least the first sequence, so I'd never found it out if you didnt tell me. Thanks =D