Soundtrack of Monkey island 1

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

S3nsenmann

Soundtrack of Monkey island 1

Post by S3nsenmann »

Hi there everyone,
I know there are already many posts here in the Forums about the Soundtrack of Monkey Island 1 but my Problem is a bit different. So I play Monkey Island on Scummvm with my "old" german CD Version(VGA), and I really like the Soundtrack. But every Midi or MP3 File I downloaded over Scummbar, WorldofMi, and on any other Site in the Internet it sounded different. I honestly can't describe the real difference.
I tried to record some Audio via Windows Recording Program but it didnt work :(
And I also tried scummrev but it doesnt seem to be working correctly with MI1, or i'm just too stupid to work with it.
So is there any way to record it or any possibility to find out how to get this Soundtrack and whats the difference between Midi and this one?
In my Monkey Island Directory there are some LFL and some LEC Files.
Any help would be very good :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Soundtrack of Monkey island 1

Post by eriktorbjorn »

S3nsenmann wrote:But every Midi or MP3 File I downloaded over Scummbar, WorldofMi, and on any other Site in the Internet it sounded different. I honestly can't describe the real difference.
Isn't it in the nature of MIDI that it can sound different? I mean, General MIDI defines a set of instruments, but not exactly what they sound like. (Instruments like "Breath Noise", "Bird Tweet" and "Telephone Ring" seem particularly ambiguous to me.)

In the case of The Secret of Monkey Island, I believe the MIDI music was composed for the Roland MT-32 which uses a slightly different set of instruments. ScummVM usually assumes you have a General MIDI device, so it will try to re-map the instruments to sound reasonable.

It seems likely that any recorded version you have found is either played on an MT-32 or similar, or has been re-arranged. But I don't know for sure.
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

on http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/ you'll find the whole soundtrack, i think the tracks are ripped directly from the enhanced audio version. you won't find a better version.

if you really want to have "your" midi-version of the soundtrack, the best solution is, as you mentioned, recording it...

same solution if you're playing with adlib.

and windows recordings sucks!

there are some free tools out there, audacity is very nice, for example :-)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

as mentioned, general midi is ony a set of data that describes pitch, attack, sustain and release. it uses external digital instruments to play the actual sounds.
id1402

Post by id1402 »

S3nsenmann
So I play Monkey Island on Scummvm with my "old" german CD Version(VGA)
There is only 1 german CD version of Monkey Island 1. It is called "Enhanced CD-Audio Edition" and is new compared to the older floppy releases.
S3nsenmann
In my Monkey Island Directory there are some LFL and some LEC Files.
Having LFL and LEC files means that you have an old floppy release.
Enhanced CD-Audio Edition contains MONKEY.000, MONKEY.001 and 24 CD audio tracks, which can be played with every normal CD-Player.