Inherit the Earth audio problem

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

almeath

Inherit the Earth audio problem

Post by almeath »

I'm using ScummVM 0.11.1 on MacOS X.

Inherit the Earth (1994 CD version) works almost perfectly for me in ScummVM, but I experience a strange problem during the introduction sequence with the voice-over narration.

For several of the narrative lines, the voice over is incorrect - it replays one of the previous audio lines for the wrong text line.

It's really puzzling. :?
clem

Post by clem »

Does it work correctly without ScummVM? (i.e. in DOSBox?)

I'm asking since http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Inherit_The_Earth mentions a speech problem in the intro:
There is a missing sound sample in the intro of some ITE versions: "The humans also knew the Secret of Life, and they used it to give us the Four Great Gifts:". The missing sound sample is played correctly with the file P2_A.iaf, found in Wyrmkeep's update 2
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Patches for ITE

edit: link fixed, sorry
Last edited by Raziel on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem

Post by clem »

Raziel wrote:Patches for ITE
redirects to main page, seems to be a bad link
Urd

Post by Urd »

http://www.wyrmkeep.com/ite/update.html

But I use too Mac OS X (10.5.2) too with ScummVM 0.11.1 with the 1994 cd-version (german) of ITE (unpatched, but with digital music) and don't have the problem.
It may be a langauge speific problem.

Which version of mac do you use?
almeath

Post by almeath »

Thanks for the link. So it looks like this is not a bug but a known problem with some versions of the game. I'm using the English version of the 1994 CD release.

I just downloaded the demo of the Wyrmkeep version of the game, and the missing sound sample is there.

Looks like I'll have to purchase the newer version to get that to work. It's a minor problem, but I'm a perfectionist with my games. :)
almeath

Post by almeath »

I'm using an intel Mac so I could try getting it to run in DOS box, but based on the info above it looks like I would get the same problem with the older version of the game.
Urd

Post by Urd »

If I understand Clem right you only need a patch.
I dont know if you have to run the patching process (wich would mean to use ist with windows, and i dont even know if they work with the dos-version) or just the file.

I would recommend, that you try to place the mentiond file (P2_A.iaf from the second patch) in your ITE folder (just unzip the patch with stuffit or something) and look if it works.
almeath

Post by almeath »

Ok, I'll try that and let you know if it works. Thanks. :)
almeath

Post by almeath »

Yes, that worked perfectly.

I just extracted the P2_A.iaf from the install .exe file using a Mac program called ZipIt. I then placed the file in the same folder as ITE.