How to I compress games in Mac OS X?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Chris14

How to I compress games in Mac OS X?

Post by Chris14 »

Hi there, I am a dedicated SCUMM gamer and have been playing the lucasarts titles for years. I have recently discovered the PSP port of Scumm VM and have got into them all over again. I would like to compress the audio files so that the games fit a lot nicer on my measly 2 GB memory stick, but have NO CLUE on how to go about it.

I want to use the scummtools to compress the games I have (almost all the lucasarts ones, I think they are all PC versions). I know I need an encoder for ogg vorbis or FLAC (maybe?) but don't know how to go about this on Mac OS X.

BTW: I know a thread exists on this matter but it is of little of know help... I don't have the developers tools that it says I need for Fink and Macports (http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5229)
I figure that if I solve this issue it could be of great help to other mac users who may want to do the same thing in the future.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris
HeyItsThatGuy

Post by HeyItsThatGuy »

What do you mean when you say that you think they're all PC versions? Do the discs say something else, like "FM Towns"?
Urd

Post by Urd »

First of all: What version of MAc OS X do you have?
The developer tools from Apple are Free, but which version you need depends on wich OS X you've got.

You need the Developer tools, since at least i don't kinow an easy way to get en Encoder that works from the Terminal then installing it from the source.

edit:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/
If you have Leopard (OS 10.5) take X-Code 3.0
If you have Tiger (OX 10.4) take X-Code 2.5
If you still have Panther (OS 10.3) or below, search for your Install-disc(s), the correspending X-Code tools package should be there.

with those installed you can follow this guide
http://xlr8yourmac.com/audio/issue71.html
to install oggenc to use it with the scummvm-tools.
You must take Point 4 "Installing vorbis from source" because the Gui-applications won't work on Terminal level.

I followed method 1 "Building from the standard distribution" and are perfectly fine with it.

do EXACTLY what the guide says typos in terminal may be critical.
Chris14

Post by Chris14 »

Okay, thanks VERY much for the rapid responses.
I'm so sorry I didn't mention it but yes I have Leopard (10.5.2) and the install disk. I will install developer tools from the disc and try this out.

Thanks again,

Chris
Chris14

Post by Chris14 »

Okay, I thought I had installed it all (I used the first set of instructions via terminal) but am still having no luck. How can I check where the files have been installed (or not)? Sorry to be a nuisance, but I would like to figure this out! :oops:
Urd

Post by Urd »

do you have installed the developer tools?
without those you don't have a compiler.

do you know how to navigate in the terminal?
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to I compress games in Mac OS X?

Post by jvprat »

Chris14 wrote:I want to use the scummtools to compress the games I have (almost all the lucasarts ones, I think they are all PC versions). I know I need an encoder for ogg vorbis or FLAC (maybe?) but don't know how to go about this on Mac OS X.
Hi, maybe I'm missing something, but there's a tools package for Mac OS X ready to download at the downloads page, and I'd expect to find all the needed pieces in there:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php#tools
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

jvprat, this package doesn't contain lame / the vorbis tools, etc., so it's not sufficient. But once one has installed vorbis / lame / etc. that's fine.

And you can install lame without having the dev tools, too! E.g. by using the Fink binary distro, or by looking for sites which offer the binary for Mac OS X ready for download, etc.
Urd

Post by Urd »

found binaries:
http://www.rarewares.org/files/ogg/vorb ... Vb4.51.zip
The auTuV seems to be very good, most audiophiles swear on it.
Chris14

Post by Chris14 »

Okay, Developer Tools have been installed. Yes I know basic terminal use but nothing too complex. Maybe a step by step guide by someone else who uses a mac to do this would be appropriate?
The error that keeps coming up (error from the encoder) makes me think that somehow the install hasn't done its work properly probably due to a fault of mine. I will try installing again, then from the top.

Thanks again,
Chris
Chris14

Post by Chris14 »

Okay, I have solved the issue, unfortunately not the way I wanted to but oh well, it is done. I resorted to using windows xp under vmware, and I now have all my ScummVM games taking up a little under 700 MB... about the same as The Dig before compression!

Thanks again for all your help people, This is a truly wonderful community!

Chris
Urd

Post by Urd »

To compress via shell in mac os x:
1: Get a C-Compiler, the best would be X-Tools directlx from apple.
2: Do exactly as the guide says, if you know rudemetary shell commands that should be no Problem. (cd for change diretory)
3: well thats it.

For the future ^^

When i Find time, w'll write a Proper Guide.