Audio Sync problems using ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LucasArtsMan

Audio Sync problems using ScummVM

Post by LucasArtsMan »

Hello all. As the subject has already stated, I am having troubles with audio sync (especially speech) for every game I have tried. The speech is so out of sync with the lips on Sam and Max and The Dig that it is painful to play. Full Throttle isn't as bad, in fact, at times it appears pretty solid, but then of course, it gets pretty brutal at parts again.

I have read the forums on this issue and it seems to be thought of as a codec problem. I have done my best to erase codecs from my system but that hasn't helped.

The thing that really gets me is that this is the third system that has had the same problem. My old desktop, my laptop and now my brand new desktop system all do the same thing. Windows XP is the only thing that is the same on all of these computers. I've used different codec packs and whatnot on all of them.

So, does anyone have a solution for this? Is this simply a compatibility issue between Windows XP and ScummVM? Like I said, this is the third system I have tried ScummVM on and had the same audio sync issue. Please save my sanity! Thank you in advance.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Do you have your files compressed? if so, which parameters did you use to compress them?

Also which file do you have? monster.sog or monster.sou or monster.so3 and which size is it?

Eugene
LucasArtsMan

Post by LucasArtsMan »

I have not compressed anything. All I am doing is running it straight from the directory either off of the cd, or, I also tried moving the entire cd onto my hard disk in order to make sure the cd drive wasn't causing a lag.

For Sam and Max and Full Throttle I've found a file called monster.SOU. Full Throttle Monster.sou = 103,664 KB. Sam and Max Monster.sou = 178,903.

I can't find a file with this name in the dig directory.

Does this info help? Thanks for the quick response!
LucasArtsMan

Post by LucasArtsMan »

Bump.

Sorry
LucasArtsMan

Post by LucasArtsMan »

bump
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You need to copy the game files to your hard drive to fix such issues

I know this might sound like a silly question, but did you actually tell ScummVM to point to the folder in your hard drive where you copied all the game files into, and not the folder in the CD?
LucasArtsMan

Post by LucasArtsMan »

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, all of the files have been copied off of the CD's and scummvm has been directed to play the files off of the hard drive.
seubz

Post by seubz »

Maybe you could try compressing the files, even though I'm really not sure about that as I don't know how ScummVM plays audio files. If it loads the entire raw audio data in memory when using MONSTER.SOU, then it could cause some kind of lag for you. Try to compress as OGG or MP3 (I suggest OGG which IMO has a better quality overall).
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

What are your system specs? What OS are you using?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

md5, in his first post he names Windows XP as the OS. The system specs, however, would be interesting to know - a lot of people run XP and I don't really recall seeing lots of compatibility complaints. Heck, I've played ScummVM on three separate computers with various versions of XP installed on them (one of which WAS a laptop, so this probably ain't connected to the common grounds for sound problems in the world - those being integrated sound cards), and none had such problems.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

indeed its more likely to be a subtitle setting speed, mine is set at 60, what is yours?