Sound on Monkey Island

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

abercius

Sound on Monkey Island

Post by abercius »

Hello, I'm sure you've heard this question about a million times, but I just downloaded ScummVM and I'm not sure how to get the music to work, because when I loaded the game using ScummVM there was no sound. Sorry for the noobish question...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Sound on Monkey Island

Post by eriktorbjorn »

abercius wrote:Hello, I'm sure you've heard this question about a million times, but I just downloaded ScummVM and I'm not sure how to get the music to work, because when I loaded the game using ScummVM there was no sound. Sorry for the noobish question...
Could you be a bit more specific? There are several versions of The Secret of Monkey Island, but the most common answer to the "no sound" question is that the PC CD version uses audio tracks - the kind you can play in any music CD player - for music and some ambient sound effects.

ScummVM should be able to play these tracks directly from the CD (though it may take some configuration if there is more than one CD-ROM player in the computer), but the most convenient way is to rip the audio tracks to MP3, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC as described in the README file.

The PC floppy versions of the game should just work, though the 16 colour version supposedly requires a patch from LucasArts if you want MIDI music, rather than Adlib or PC Speaker/PCjr music.

I'm uncertain about the other versions... I don't think the Amiga music is supported at all, though it can supposedly be simulated by using a recording of it. I don't have it myself, though.

As for sound effects, they are few and far between, and there is no speech whatsoever. (Sometimes, we really do get questions about "missing" speech in games that never had it to begin with.)
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

You can get the Amiga emulated music here: www.thescummbar.com
abercius

Post by abercius »

I'm using the CD/DOS version. Is there an easy way to configure the music to play in this version? I'm not sure where my cd is now... :/
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

abercius wrote:I'm using the CD/DOS version. Is there an easy way to configure the music to play in this version? I'm not sure where my cd is now... :/
Yes, but you will need to find that CD because - as I said - the music is in the audio tracks on that CD.
Acabar

Post by Acabar »

I'm having the same problem, except I converted the audio to mp3 tracks, but I'm unsure where I should put them.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

In the same directory as the game, named track1.mp3, track2.mp3, etc
Acabar

Post by Acabar »

Aha! I had a space between track and the number, I guess that was throwing it. Thanks!
Cappy

Post by Cappy »

I figured this would be a better place to post rather than creating an entire new topic for this problem.

I'm using the "Monkey Madness" CD. When I go to the "MONKEY1" folder, I have the following files:

ADLIB.IMS
MONKEY.001
MONKEY.INI
ROLAND.IMS
SPEAKER.IMS
MONKEY.000
MONKEY.EXE
MONKEY.PIF
SOUNBLAS.IMS

None of the ripping programs I've tried (Itunes and FreeRIP) have been able to find any music files on the disc. FreeRIP just gives me one big long "Track1" that is about 13 minutes long.

I'd like to play these games, considering it would be the first time I would play them, but I think that not having sound would be a dealbreaker.

Any help would be appreciated.
---
Edit: Let me clarify. On the entire disc, I see no sound files whatsoever.
Last edited by Cappy on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Cappy wrote: None of the ripping programs I've tried (Itunes and FreeRIP) have been able to find any music files on the disc. FreeRIP just gives me one big long "Track1" that is about 13 minutes long.
That "Track1" might be the data track, which wouldn't be of any use here. Can you play the CD in a normal music CD player, or is that unable to find the tracks there as well?
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cappy

Post by Cappy »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Cappy wrote: None of the ripping programs I've tried (Itunes and FreeRIP) have been able to find any music files on the disc. FreeRIP just gives me one big long "Track1" that is about 13 minutes long.
That "Track1" might be the data track, which wouldn't be of any use here. Can you play the CD in a normal music CD player, or is that unable to find the tracks as well?
I would try if I had a normal CD player. I have my computer's DVD/CD drive and my PS2.

And yes, the Track1 is the data track.

Edit: When I open the CD to view files, I get DIRECTX, M3DEMO, MONKEY1, and MONKEY2 folders.

Then AUTORUN, MADNESS, and a couple of text files.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Cappy, CD tracks don't show up as files on the CD. Use a REAL ripping tool (I prefer CDex) to check for audio tracks. Be aware that some regional versions of this compilation did NOT have them at all in any shape way or form, so there might not actually be any on your disc. Sorry.
Cappy

Post by Cappy »

I downloaded CDex and it still only shows a Track1 at 13:58.

I'm not used to ripping files from data/game CDs. When I load up CDex, should the audio files be visible there? Or do I need to do some other wacky configurations?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

When I load up CDex, should the audio files be visible there?
Yes. If they're not, you ain't got it. Sorry.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:You can get the Amiga emulated music here: www.thescummbar.com
These files are perfectly fine to use with the PC-version of the game if your CD don't have any audio tracks.