Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vorph

Just two Questions regerding Inherit the Earth

Post by Vorph »

Hello,

I own 2 Versions of the Game (DOS/CD):

1. The original "New World Compting" Release from 1994 and
2. The German Release "Erbern der Erde"

Is it possible to use the MUSIC.RSC file provided by the Wyrmkeep Update #2 with these two Version to get the
improved (?) digital audio score. How can add the missing Audio File "P2_A.iaf" that is also included in the
Wyrmkeep Update (seems to be required only by the english language version).

Kind regards

Vorph
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yes, you can use the music.rsc file in both versions to enjoy digital music, which is quite an improvement over the game's MIDI music, and sounds great :) You can patch the original version with Wyrmkeep's patch, and then copy the music.rsc file to your German version.

As for the missing audio file p2_a.iaf, it's automatically placed by Wyrmkeep's patch in a folder called "sound", and then it works normally. As you said yourself, this file is only needed in the English version, not the German one
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hi,

thanks for the fast reply... Everything works fine, except that my English CD DOS Version is now recognized as a Linux Version :shock: - something that doesn't really matter

Vorph
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You're welcome :)
Vorph wrote:Everything works fine, except that my English CD DOS Version is now recognized as a Linux Version
That should be fixed now
id1402

Post by id1402 »

Hello.
I have a question regarding music.rsc (digital music that Wyrmkeep made with their second ITE update).

But first some words on my version of ScummVM and ITE.
I run ScummVM 0.11.0-1 build from scummvm-0.11.0-1.src.rpm on Suse Linux 10.0. The 30 games I have run great.

I have the german version of Inherit the Earth. Here are the files I have:

Code: Select all

daeadae59f9216ee89153cb8114b80d8  ite.rsc
286d9a86b266e27208c31d46fd8dac96  music.cmp
5b4c047a22e8dc960eef5d091f931505  scripts.rsc
dd13bf66cbe2eba884a22e968e4176c1  sounds.cmp
f64b3fcd29644db437d0e70f4946aeb1  voices.cmp
Compressed sounds.cmp and voices.cmp work well.
I extracted music.rsc from iteupd2.exe on linux console, bash:

7z x iteupd2.exe
After that I compressed music.rsc with

compress_saga --vorbis music
and got music.cmp as result.

My question and problem now is: Why does the Wyrmkeep digital music not work? Here is no change with the new music.cmp file. I still have the old MIDI music.
Perhaps someone knows the solution and can solve my problem.

Thanky you for ScummVM, developers! It's a very great piece of software. This digital music problem is the first I face with ScummVM, and I already tried more than 30 games.
id1402

Post by id1402 »

Great! Problem solved!
I just defined "Extra Path" in the Setup Menu of ITE.
"Extra Path" the same as "Game Path" and digital music works!
It's the one and only game, where I had to define "Extra Path" in order to make the game run properly. Don't know why, but it works.
I asked myself earlier, which sense the option "Extra Path" does have, I never used it before. Now I found a sense for this option.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That's very strange indeed

Can you try the latest SVN to check if that issue is fixed?
Urd

Post by Urd »

I hadn't this issue in 0.11.0 (OS X-Port) I Think.
I am not sure where to differ between midi and the digital music, but what i can hear is that, wenn the music.cmp is in the game folder the intro-music is louder and clearer (and, as far as i can say, sounds less liki midi)
maybe it is or was a port-specific bug.
edit: after playing with the debug.levels, i can confirm that in the Mac 0.11.0 loads the digital music without specifying an extra-path.
("Playing OGG compressed digital music; Playing digitized music"
id1402

Post by id1402 »

Hello.
What the fuck! I read your post, md5, and wanted to try ITE again without extrapath. So I deleted

extrapath=/home/id1402/scummvm/ite/
from ScummVM config file and digital music still works.
I shut down the PC tonight and it was the first time today I started ScummVM, so there could not be old stuff in the memory.
Ok, it works without extrapath, as you expect, md5.
Dont't know what happened yesterday, why it didn't work at first time. Maybe, there was old MIDI music in RAM or something like that. I don't know, how ScummVM manages the stuff. But when I defined extrapath suddenly digital music worked yesterday. And now it works without extrapath.

But say me please, what extrapath is for?
Last edited by id1402 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

id1402 wrote: But say me please, what extrapath is for?
extrapath is used for add-on files, like lure.dat, sky.cpt and such
So, one could keep all those (for certain games) needed files in one location

...i think :-)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

id1402 wrote:Hello.
What the fuck! I read your post, md5, and wanted to try ITE again without extrapath. So I deleted

extrapath=/home/id1402/scummvm/ite/
from ScummVM config file and digital music still works.
I shut down the PC tonight and it was the first time today I started ScummVM, so there could not be old stuff in the memory.
Ok, it works without extrapath, as you expect, md5.
Dont't know what happened yesterday, why it didn't work at first time. Maybe, there was old MIDI music in RAM or something like that. I don't know, how ScummVM manages the stuff. But when I defined extrapath suddenly digital music worked yesterday. Now it works wirhout extrapath.

But say me please, what extrapath is for?
No problem, I just found it very strange, the relevant code hasn't been changed and there is nothing that would justify such behaviour

As for extrapath, Raziel replied already :)
id1402

Post by id1402 »

There is some system/scheme in it.

I modified a few minutes ago the english talkie CD version of "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" with the patch from http://la-patches.gandimann.de/p_indy4talkie.php . This patch lets the speech english, but transfers all written text, some texts in the grahics and the buttons from english to german. Since there never was a german talkie CD version produced it's a great patch for german players. The sound quality in english talkie CD version is better than in german floppy version and the english speech is so good that I place value on it.
And now the interesting thing, that was the same as the music modification to ITE: The files of atlantis were definitely changed, but the change took not place when I started Atlantis with ScummVM. Everything in the game remained english as if the game files weren't modified. Only when I copied the modified atlantis directory to a new one and added the new directory as a new game to ScummVM, the intended changes from english to german took place. I dind't try the thing with extrapath.

Strange phenomenon, I think. Not really a disaster, but strange. I'm sure one of the ScummVM programmers could explain the phenomenon.