Slow scrolling in Broken Sword 1

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MetalSnake

Slow scrolling in Broken Sword 1

Post by MetalSnake »

I'm just playing Broken Sword 1 (German Version on OS X 10.4.10 using ScummVM 0.10.0) and found that the scrolling when George is walking in big pictures is very slow. I'm playing on 2x scale, windows mode, on a Power Mac G5 2x2GHz des CPUs are never near the 100%.
Is this normal behaviour or some sort of bug or what?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Slow scrolling in Broken Sword 1

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MetalSnake wrote:I'm just playing Broken Sword 1 (German Version on OS X 10.4.10 using ScummVM 0.10.0) and found that the scrolling when George is walking in big pictures is very slow.
Do you mean slow as in "slower than in 1x mode", or slow as in "just as slow as George's walking"?
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

Slower as in, the whole game gets slower. George walks slower, the screen scrolls very slow, even the cursor gets jumpy.
With no scaling the speed is fine.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MetalSnake wrote:Slower as in, the whole game gets slower. George walks slower, the screen scrolls very slow, even the cursor gets jumpy.
With no scaling the speed is fine.
Which scaler are you using? I could very well imagine an "expensive" scaler like HQ2x slowing things down, while the simple 2x scaler could work better.
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

I tried both, but there is no difference in speed.
But as I said, the CPUs are never used at 100% so it shouldn't really slow down.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MetalSnake wrote:I tried both, but there is no difference in speed.
But as I said, the CPUs are never used at 100% so it shouldn't really slow down.
That depends. Most engines in ScummVM try to avoid using 100% CPU.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Unless you have a monster config, I think it's normal. BS1 (like BS2, MI3, IHNM and maybe a couple others) is already natively in "hires" (640x480). Applying any filter will inevitably scale the image up and slow down the whole display.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I've been following this thread because I've noticed a slowdown with George walking around in Spain, near the end of the game. I'm also using Mac OS X 10.4.10 with the AdvMAME2x filter set as my default graphics scaler (it doesn't use the scaler for the Broken Sword games, my iBook display is 1024x768 max). Anyway, I wasn't sure if this occured in all ScummVM releases or just in 0.x.0.

I noticed the slowdown when solving the puzzles in Spain. Changing from the mansion screen to the mausoleum screen results in no slowdown but George is noticeably walking slower when investigating the mausoleum screen.
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

I just started playing Broken Sword 2 with the same settings, and that one is much faster at scrolling.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Jimbob wrote:I noticed the slowdown when solving the puzzles in Spain. Changing from the mansion screen to the mausoleum screen results in no slowdown but George is noticeably walking slower when investigating the mausoleum screen.
maybe there's more/less gravity in those areas?