Change scummvm.ini path?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Muyfa666

Change scummvm.ini path?

Post by Muyfa666 »

Is it possible to change the path for scummvm.ini from C:\WINDOWS to something more local? I format often, and equally often I forget to backup this little file. Is it possible to place it locally in the install dir or something?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

far be it of me to judge you like this but if you *really* have to reformat as frequent as you make it seem, then i think it would be beneficial to you to acquire some from of protection, asuming of course that you don't do it for fun.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

I do have good protection, but even with that computers tend to slow after a while with all installing/uninstalling etc. Is this a stupid question? I dunno.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

no, not at all

but then why don't you keep the stuff you install, or just get a bigger HDD and/or more RAM
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Muyfa666 wrote:I do have good protection, but even with that computers tend to slow after a while with all installing/uninstalling etc.
Hmm, I've installed my OS (Debian GNU/Linux Sid) in 2000 (transfering it from system to system and keeping the installed packages up-to-date) IIRC, and I've never noticed any tendency to slow down...

(</flamebait> ;))
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

The README clearly states:
-c, --config=CONFIG Use alternate configuration file
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

And in addition, the default scummvm.ini location isn'c C:\WINDOWS anymore, either. It'll only use that location if there is already a scummvm.ini in that place.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

This is of course a really noob question, but how do I use that change command in practise? I really have a hard time to grip the ScummVM command line options.

EDIT: Nevermind. I actually managed to figure it out. Tnx for all your help fellas. :-)
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

My question is similar so I won't start a new topic.
I am building a patch for a scummvm supported game and want to be able to locate the scummvm.ini that the current installation of scummvm uses.

Is this stored anywhere or should I search the default locations (based on the windows version and the implied order of precedence for the default paths) ?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

If you don't specify any config file via the command line, the default path is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\ScummVM
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Actually according to the readme.txt the default locations vary depending on the operating system. And for those that are running previous versions of ScummVm (which is a possibility for the end user that I can't overlook) the default directory was the $WINNT dir.
By default, the configuration file is saved in, and loaded from:

Windows Vista:
\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM\scummvm.ini,

Windows 2000/XP:
\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\ScummVM\scummvm.ini,

Windows NT4:
<windir>\Profiles\username\Application Data\ScummVM\scummvm.ini,

Windows 95/98/ME:
<windir>\scummvm.ini,

If an earlier version of ScummVM was installed under Windows, the previous default location of '<windir>\scummvm.ini' will be kept.

Unix:
~/.scummvmrc

Mac OS X:
~/Library/Preferences/ScummVM Preferences

Others:
scummvm.ini in the current directory
So basically for Windows O.S. I am first searching in the default path for 0.X.0, and then -if nothing found- I search for the '<windir>\scummvm.ini'. But there is nothing I can do if the user has specified another config file via the command line.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Praetorian wrote:But there is nothing I can do if the user has specified another config file via the command line.
If the user specified a custom path, chances are its the current progdir.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Hmmmmmmm. My new install of ScummVM "OXO" on Vista has placed the ScummVM.ini file here:

C:\Users\Johnny\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:Hmmmmmmm. My new install of ScummVM "OXO" on Vista has placed the ScummVM.ini file here:

C:\Users\Johnny\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows
The path isn't hard-coded in ScummVM. If I understand the code correctly, it goes something like this:

Windows 95, 98 and Me uses the Windows directory, as produced by the GetWindowsDirectory() function.

Windows NT 4.0 uses whatever the USERPROFILE environment variable contains.

Windows 2000, and anything else more recent than that, uses whatever the APPDIR environment variable contains.

In Windows XP, I can open a command prompt and type echo %APPDIR%. I assume that's where ScummVM would put the scummvm.ini file, if I had ScummVM installed on that computer.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

But of course Vista doesn't allow files to be written to in the Program Files or Windows directory, it just tells the program it has done it, and stores the files elsewhere. I wonder if that's what happened here?

Also, "echo %APPDIR%" literally outputs %APPDIR% in Vista...?