absolute newboid mac non-starter

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bowedcymbal
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 pm

absolute newboid mac non-starter

Post by bowedcymbal »

hi all,

i'm running osx 10.1 on my ibook g3 and downloaded scummvm to play BASS (i never completed it on my amiga) and probably whatever i can later on... i tried the latest version but the disk didn't even mount so i found an older version (0.7.1) on sourceforge which mounted, and did all the business, and i've got the scummvm icon and everything, but when i try and open it i get an error saying it's unexpectedly quit (i've done it a few times now, it's no longer unexpected for me)...

so, you lovely people: are there newer old versions which work with 10.1?? Is there something i could (or should) do with, i dunno, command lines or something? am i even doing the right thing when trying to load it (dragging it to the desktop seems to make no difference)??

i tried the faqs and readmes for any hint of a eureka moment but couldn't find much...

i'd love to get this running and lose a few hours in the games but am a little at a loss. apologies if i've missed something glaringly obvious, i am after all a doe-eyed newbo mac casual and it may well be possible :)

thanks in advancio,
dan
User avatar
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: UK, Enfield
Contact:

Post by PsYcO »

you meen when you start the game or opening scummvm
bowedcymbal
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Post by bowedcymbal »

PsYcO wrote:you meen when you start the game or opening scummvm
opening scummvm. it quits before it even gets the chance. quite upsetting. i'm not running anything particularly weird at the same time or anything.
User avatar
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: UK, Enfield
Contact:

Post by PsYcO »

only thing i can suggest is to get the latest SVN build available for the mac, if that fails try the stable version

lastly, sometimes it downloads it improperly, so i guess you could always try to download them a second time
bobablob
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 9:05 pm

Post by bobablob »

He's running 10.1. I'd be surprised if there's a modern version of SDL that compiles against that OS.
bowedcymbal
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Post by bowedcymbal »

bobablob wrote:He's running 10.1. I'd be surprised if there's a modern version of SDL that compiles against that OS.
He's also a clueless eejit with a low computer literacy level. Am i toast, then? Anyone got any free copies of later OSX?? :wink: -
bobablob
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 9:05 pm

Post by bobablob »

See Forum Rule 0, eejit.
User avatar
Jimbob
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: Somewhere in the UK

Post by Jimbob »

bowedcymbal wrote:
bobablob wrote:He's running 10.1. I'd be surprised if there's a modern version of SDL that compiles against that OS.
He's also a clueless eejit with a low computer literacy level. Am i toast, then? Anyone got any free copies of later OSX?? :wink: -
No, as far as I can see you have to pay for OS X ;-)

I would be very surprised if it did run on OS X 10.1 (I assume you have 10.1.5 installed). From memory, 10.1 wasn't very good at all!! (I had it installed on an iMac G3 and upgrading to Panther was so much better).

Anyway, just to help a bit, try starting scummvm and the game and then go to the Utilities folder (Shift-Apple-U in the Finder) and start the Console. Look in console.log at the bottom for any error messages, this should give you some idea of what is wrong.
bowedcymbal
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Post by bowedcymbal »

Jimbob wrote:
bowedcymbal wrote:
bobablob wrote:He's running 10.1. I'd be surprised if there's a modern version of SDL that compiles against that OS.
He's also a clueless eejit with a low computer literacy level. Am i toast, then? Anyone got any free copies of later OSX?? :wink: -
No, as far as I can see you have to pay for OS X ;-)

I would be very surprised if it did run on OS X 10.1 (I assume you have 10.1.5 installed). From memory, 10.1 wasn't very good at all!! (I had it installed on an iMac G3 and upgrading to Panther was so much better).

Anyway, just to help a bit, try starting scummvm and the game and then go to the Utilities folder (Shift-Apple-U in the Finder) and start the Console. Look in console.log at the bottom for any error messages, this should give you some idea of what is wrong.
Thanks for the help in showing me something which i'm sure all y'all find preternaturally easy. i couldn't find out how to get those reports, otherwise i'd have done this before:

dyld: /Volumes/ScummVM 0.7.1/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm Undefined symbols:

/Volumes/ScummVM 0.7.1/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm undefined reference to _CGMainDisplayID expected to be defined in Carbon

Soooo.... any ideas now? all dutch to me.

Thanks everyone for helping.

p.s. obviously i wouldn't *literally* ask for warez on an open forum. given that it takes about about 3 minutes to download a 3 minute mp3 i think i'd be old and grey by the time i'd get it.
User avatar
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: UK, Enfield
Contact:

Post by PsYcO »

bowedcymbal wrote:obviously i wouldn't *literally* ask for warez on an open forum. given that it takes about about 3 minutes to download a 3 minute mp3 i think i'd be old and grey by the time i'd get it.
fyi, its gonna be between 700MB-4.4GB, on a broadband connection that could take probably less than a week, maybe even a weekend, so unless your already old and greying that doesn't make sence
fingolfin
Retired
Posts: 1452
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Post by fingolfin »

As people already have pointed out here, the problem is that your OS X version is to old. Current releases definitely support OS X 10.3.9 and later; we *may* be able to keep supporting OS X 10.2.8. But no luck for 10.1, it's just not feasible to produce binaries for this.

You could try to compile ScummVM, SDL etc. yourself on your system. Possibly install Fink for 10.1 to get SDL and other dependencies. You first would have to install XCode, but with some luck you already have that on a CD along with your OS X copy.

But instead I would strongly recommending to upgrade to 10.2 -- it's relatively cheap to buy legit copies via e.g. Ebay, and it should in fact run faster than 10.1 even on our old G3 mac.
bowedcymbal
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Post by bowedcymbal »

PsYcO wrote:
bowedcymbal wrote:obviously i wouldn't *literally* ask for warez on an open forum. given that it takes about about 3 minutes to download a 3 minute mp3 i think i'd be old and grey by the time i'd get it.
fyi, its gonna be between 700MB-4.4GB, on a broadband connection that could take probably less than a week, maybe even a weekend, so unless your already old and greying that doesn't make sence
well, yes, if you're going to be particular then you're right, i could do it. and before the onset of male pattern baldness, too!! but at the moment i'm downloading something at 2.1kb/sec, due to a combination of a (currently intermittent) capped broadband connection and the slowness of my ibook. maybe i wouldn't be old and grey by the time it downloaded, but i feel like it's the kind of thing which would never work out.
bowedcymbal
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Post by bowedcymbal »

fingolfin wrote:As people already have pointed out here, the problem is that your OS X version is to old. Current releases definitely support OS X 10.3.9 and later; we *may* be able to keep supporting OS X 10.2.8. But no luck for 10.1, it's just not feasible to produce binaries for this.

You could try to compile ScummVM, SDL etc. yourself on your system. Possibly install Fink for 10.1 to get SDL and other dependencies. You first would have to install XCode, but with some luck you already have that on a CD along with your OS X copy.
!!!
But instead I would strongly recommending to upgrade to 10.2 -- it's relatively cheap to buy legit copies via e.g. Ebay, and it should in fact run faster than 10.1 even on our old G3 mac.
i know, i know. the sad thing is someone offered my their install dvddiscs for 10.2 and 10.3, but my cd drive is just that; a cd drive. i've been thinking about ebay, i think this (and a thousand other little niggly things itunes with sharing, then ourtunes etc) is just clinching it that i need to buy this stuff. i've heard great things about speed improvements through upgrading anyhow.. offtopic slightly here but with 640mb ram is it worth going for 10.3 just to be ever-so-slighly more futureproof?? or will it slow up again? i also don't have a great deal of room left on my HD, which might not help.

by the way, thanks for all your helpful comments, guys. it's this kind of thing that strengthen's one's resolve about the inherent loveliness of opensource, you-help-me-and-if-i-can-i'll-help-you global community whatnots. they're brills!

dan
User avatar
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: UK, Enfield
Contact:

Post by PsYcO »

bowedcymbal wrote:well, yes, if you're going to be particular then you're right, i could do it. and before the onset of male pattern baldness, too!! but at the moment i'm downloading something at 2.1kb/sec, due to a combination of a (currently intermittent) capped broadband connection and the slowness of my ibook. maybe i wouldn't be old and grey by the time it downloaded, but i feel like it's the kind of thing which would never work out.
if your downloading at that speed(and its not the location where your downloading from's fault) then i would seriously consider changing provider, since your not getting what your paying for...
fingolfin
Retired
Posts: 1452
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Post by fingolfin »

If you can only get 10.2 on DVD, you could borrow (or buy) an external DVD player and temporaily hook that to your iBook for the duration of your installation.

Things should be OK with 640 MB -- I was using 10.2 for quite some time on an iBook G3 700 with 640 MB RAM. Although of course more RAM and more CPU power. I am not sure about 10.3, simply because I have had no experience with it on that kind of hardware.
Post Reply