Weird thing in SMI

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

FlyingArrow

Weird thing in SMI

Post by FlyingArrow »

Ok, so I start up SMI in ScummVM, and everytime I do, some message comes up saying "wait! before you begin, lets have a quick history quiz. press enter to begin...." so I click it and then some random pirate guy comes up and it asks me when he was hanged in... say, nebraska. I obviously have no idea, so I just type in a random date. This happens 3 times in a row, and then after I get all 3 wrong, the window closes itself. What is going on!!!
clem

Re: Weird thing in SMI

Post by clem »

FlyingArrow wrote:Ok, so I start up SMI in ScummVM, and everytime I do, some message comes up saying "wait! before you begin, lets have a quick history quiz. press enter to begin...." so I click it and then some random pirate guy comes up and it asks me when he was hanged in... say, nebraska. I obviously have no idea, so I just type in a random date. This happens 3 times in a row, and then after I get all 3 wrong, the window closes itself. What is going on!!!
oh my god it's a copy protection!!!

the game should have come with a codewheel, so you'll have to enter the correct number to prove that you own the original game

(they do that so that people don't just randomly download games from the internet I guess :) )
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

What version of SMI is it? afaik copy protection was only circumvented for certain releases that have it disabled out of box.
FlyingArrow

Post by FlyingArrow »

Errr uh... ok yes, I downloaded it. I don't like it either but its impossible to find that game anywhere (from Canada atleast).
clem

Post by clem »

FlyingArrow wrote:Errr uh... ok yes, I downloaded it. I don't like it either but its impossible to find that game anywhere (from Canada atleast).
eBay... and forum rule #0
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Im sorry to say it, but i call shenannigans on that :P I too live in canada, in an incredibly remote part of it even :wink: and in the last two years i have bought several different versions of Secret of monkey island.

No disrespect, just Shenannigans :P But unfortunately there will be no support for your downloaded version here

The Best Bet is eBay, honestly. The internet is a much less scary place to buy stuff today. Services like paypal have removed the fear of having your credit card # stolen. In fact for the most part you dont even need a credit card anymore as paypal can bey used from your bank acct.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

strangely enough my version of mi2 has the same thing, but its never closed down on me(even though i lost the code wheel thing)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

PsYcO wrote:strangely enough my version of mi2 has the same thing, but its never closed down on me(even though i lost the code wheel thing)
As described in the README, ScummVM disables the copy protection check in some games, because sometimes the games were sold with the copy protection disabled. Usually we do so by not showing the copy protection screen at all (though some older versions of ScummVM did), but in Monkey Island 2 doing that would also hide the difficulty selection screen.
FlyingArrow

Post by FlyingArrow »

glokidd wrote:Im sorry to say it, but i call shenannigans on that :P I too live in canada, in an incredibly remote part of it even :wink: and in the last two years i have bought several different versions of Secret of monkey island.
Well apparantly you live British Columbia where there are tons of stores and all that. I live in Newfoundland. Old PC games are extremely hard to come by here. I can honestly only really think of about... 4-5 game dedicated shops in St. Johns. But anyway...
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

True, British Columbia does have some fine vintage gaming stores, every time im in vancouver i love checking them out. Unfortunately i live nowhere near there :( in fact the closest city is a seven hour drive away :(

Basically what im saying is i know how you feel, i waited for years to see these great games on the wall of my local tiny little one-shelf computer store. Eventually i gave up and took a chance on ebay, i havent regretted it once.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Shenanigans!!! EVERYBODY GRAB A BROOMSTICK!
TribeHasSpoken

Post by TribeHasSpoken »

I thought a declaration of shenanigans had to be mutual.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Refer to forum rule #0

Closing