Monkey Island 1 and WIndows 2000

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jordank

Monkey Island 1 and WIndows 2000

Post by jordank »

Hi, i'm trying to help my cousin with her Monkey Island 1 problem.

We installed ScummVm and monkey Island 1 on her pc. It's running Windows 2000. And she can not get any music for the game. She can get some of the sound effects, a door closing, etc. We tryed to install it again and no luck.

Any help, thanks?
exofreeze
Banned

Re: Monkey Island 1 and WIndows 2000

Post by exofreeze »

jordank wrote:Hi, i'm trying to help my cousin with her Monkey Island 1 problem.

We installed ScummVm and monkey Island 1 on her pc. It's running Windows 2000. And she can not get any music for the game. She can get some of the sound effects, a door closing, etc. We tryed to install it again and no luck.

Any help, thanks?
I'm guessing you don't exactly know how ScummVM works...

And that leads to my next assumption that you didn't really bother reading the instructions?

If you had, you might see that you copy over certain files from the Monkey Island disk to a directory on your pc. To find these files go HERE.

Once those files are in the directory, you start up ScumMVM, click 'Add Game", point to that directory, and the game will be recognized and added to your list.

Now it can be played through ScummVM and all your sound issues will no longer be a problem.

Any furhter questions can probably be answered at the Documentation Page
TribeHasSpoken

Post by TribeHasSpoken »

Actually, I think this is a case of needing to convert the CD audio tracks to mp3 files.
Laskov

Post by Laskov »

some Cdrom version of Monkey Island 1 are sealed without the music track (thank for game editor outside US)

The only way to play music with monkey 1 are to download the track in MP3 format (or Ogg)

This problem exist in the VGA version of monkey island realased in French Cdrom by Ubisoft
jordank

SOLVED

Post by jordank »

Yikes exofreeze, be kind. Actually I did copy all the files. I've been using scummvm for years. I just have been using it on Xp and her computer is windows 2000. So I wasnt sure if that was the issue, plus her computer is about 6 years old.

She was running scummvm from the zip. I had her install it as opposed to running it from a folder. And in case you guys didn't know Monkey Island 1 and 2 are now freeware. So I downloaded the Mac release. And got rid of my old pc version. And bammm it worked great, with sounds and music and everything. So thanks for your help. Hoooray for Freeware !
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: SOLVED

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jordank wrote:And in case you guys didn't know Monkey Island 1 and 2 are now freeware.
That sounds like a severe case of wishful thinking to me. The most recent Monkey Island-related news on LucasArts's news page was to announce Escape from Monkey Island for PlayStation 2.

Nowadays, I guess most of their news is about Star Wars.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Yup. And that's a blatant violation of forum rule 0!
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

jordank wrote:Yikes exofreeze, be kind. Actually I did copy all the files. I've been using scummvm for years. I just have been using it on Xp and her computer is windows 2000. So I wasnt sure if that was the issue, plus her computer is about 6 years old.

She was running scummvm from the zip. I had her install it as opposed to running it from a folder. And in case you guys didn't know Monkey Island 1 and 2 are now freeware. So I downloaded the Mac release. And got rid of my old pc version. And bammm it worked great, with sounds and music and everything. So thanks for your help. Hoooray for Freeware !
yikes Jordank, your a pirate!
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

exofreeze wrote:yikes Jordank, your a pirate!
considering that you play a wannabe pirate in MI1, i think he's done pretty well
longlivejordank

No love

Post by longlivejordank »

Yes spaming me was cute. And don't worry this is my last post.

1. Yes exofreeze, you are correct I did not read all the rules, and for that I am sorry. I usually start 1 and not 0

2. No it's not wishful thinking, Monkey Island I and II are now freeware for computer. I can't say about Ps2 but that articl was also published in 2001? Maybe I'm
wrong for trusting the article I read, but I have seen it on other sites as well. And the download site is ligit. I will not however post the link to the download.
Although I'm sure me posting any of this in rebut, will cause some people to crap themselves for rule violations.

3. I'm sorry for people craping themselves over my violations.

4. I may be a lot of things but I pirate I am not. I actually do own the Monkey Island Madness disc. Which later
caused me to get Monkey Island 3 and 4. Which still is my favorite all time computer game(s). (3 is my personal fav i've beat it a bagillian times)
However my Monkey Island Madness Disc went to my now X boyfriend. Which I am not getting back anytime soon. However following rule 0 I NEVER asked for any games.

5. #5 Is my favorite. If you didn't pick on the X boyfriend reference..... I am 100% female. So I don't know, blame
my stupidity on too much estrogen.

In conclusion I do apperciate the efforts of those who tryed to help me, cause yes I was having a blonde moment not getting scummvm to work correctly.
And to the haters, ban me if you wish. But in the end i'm sure your still living in your moms
basement, single, playing X box live, and eating cheetos..and yes you will get over it lol.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: No love

Post by eriktorbjorn »

longlivejordank wrote: 2. No it's not wishful thinking, Monkey Island I and II are now freeware for computer. I can't say about Ps2 but that articl was also published in 2001? Maybe I'm
wrong for trusting the article I read, but I have seen it on other sites as well. And the download site is ligit. I will not however post the link to the download.
Although I'm sure me posting any of this in rebut, will cause some people to crap themselves for rule violations.
Don't get me wrong: I'd be delighted if it was true, but without any official word I just cannot bring myself to believe it. I mean, we're talking about LucasArts -- the company so paranoidly protective about their intellectual property that they've already tried to shut down the ScummVM project once, and who have been making vaguely threatening noises every few years since then.
arkaoss

Post by arkaoss »

Shoot, as the person who got an original shrink-wrap ware CD copy of monkey island, nearing on... i dunno.. like 14 yrs ago, Which by the way I still have the disc of. And whome got JordanK hooked on. And had more than 1 free copy aquired from game collections over the year, PC gamer once gave away installs of 1 & 2 with an issue. I'd think the real issue is why, if she's running the machine she is & i know cuz i personally have worked on the machine, she need's scumm vm at all. It's running windows 2000 people! that might as well have a dos boot mode. I'll slip in some Cd drivers into the autoexec.bat & heck you can even run the incredible machine & Transport tycoon Deluxe like the old days!. Email your ole buddy sometime.

woot!
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

this easily is one of the most obscure threads I've ever read
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

What's the point of this thread anyway?

As eriktorbjorn already said, there's no official word from Lucasarts itself that Monkey Island 1 and 2 can be distributed as freeware, and Lucasarts still is the legal copyright holder of these games. Therefore, if you see any sites distributing copies of them as "free", they're most likely illegal. As already mentioned, the legal department of Lucasarts is quite sensitive about these matters, and especially about so-called "abandonware" sites.

A good example for this is Revolution software: they have offered the full versions of Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky for free themselves:
http://www.revolution.co.uk/_display.php?id=10
and
http://www.revolution.co.uk/_display.php?id=16

Since there's no such announcement from Lucasarts and since they're still selling their old games, they haven't been released as freeware and any site claiming that they're free is illegally distributing them.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

arkaoss wrote:And had more than 1 free copy aquired from game collections over the year, PC gamer once gave away installs of 1 & 2 with an issue.
BUZZ
WRONG

They gave away a disc which had MI1 and 2 on it, but required an unlock code to actually play. Only the demo was freely available.

As of this year several abandonware sites have had legal threats for hosting the Monkey Island series.

Just because some sites out there still host it does not mean that they are legit.

LucasArts has NEVER made any of their games freeware.

So how about you start sticking to facts instead of making obscure uneducated references to long lost pc gamer discs.