MT-32 Volume Question from newbie

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JCDenton

MT-32 Volume Question from newbie

Post by JCDenton »

Hello there

I have recently managed to find a dual-release of Lucasarts 'Day of the Tentacle' and 'Sam'n'Max Hit The Road' on cd in a local store here and am very happy to say that thanks to the ScummVM engine (Version 0.9.1) I can play them quite happily on the Windows XP platform with no problems, and with considerably less cpu overhead than if I used a dos-box and vdm sound...

Now for the question (sorry...)
I noticed on Wikipedia that Day of the Tentacle actually has MT-32 specific midi capability, so I enabled the MT-32 emulation option and fired up the game (I have Legal copies of the ROM images which I have place in the main ScummVM directory.)

It works just fine but... the midi music volume is extremely low (sound effects and speech are just fine). Even turning the ScummVM music volume slider (and of course the windows midi volume slider) up to maximum still produces very low output. Am I missing something here? I have tried adjusting the midi gain slider in the ScummVM midi panel but I rather suspect that it is not helping.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks
JC
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

Well, according to a Munt forum the Munt emulator does not use the midi mixer channel, which might explain why the volume control does nothing...

I believe that ScummVM uses a version of the Munt emulator?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The ScummVM MT-32 emu code was written by the munt author, who later (or at the same time) turned it into the "munt" lib. Since then, he dropped dead and we never heard anything again from him, nor does anybody else perform any work on the MT-32 emu code in ScummVM.
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

Fair enough, thanks for the honest reply, much appreciated.
I must admit that extensive searching seems to reveal that the Munt project seems to be dead in the water. I also appreciate the legal issues involved with Roland in this matter.

I will trawl ebay and try and find an actual Roland MT32 box, and I will put the ScummVM emulator back to mixed midi mode for now.

Thanks for providing a terrific Virtual Machine for these classic games, it has encouraged me to go and buy some of the old classics again, knowing that they will run on a Windows XP platform. Please keep up the great work you are doing.

Regards
JC
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

JCDenton wrote:I must admit that extensive searching seems to reveal that the Munt project seems to be dead in the water.
You didn't search hard enough, young padawan... Munt is not quite dead yet (hopefully).
corpse

Post by corpse »

I don't know if this helps but MT32 emulation works flawlessly for me. Anyway this is how I set it up

1. place the rom files in a subdirectory of scummvm. i.e. mt32
2. fire up scummvm and select options, then paths
3. click extra path then select the roms folder
4. select the audio tab, music driver: mt32.
5. press ok

That should do it, I'm using svn, but 0.91 should work.
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

[quote="Kaminari"][quote="JCDenton"]I must admit that extensive searching seems to reveal that the Munt project seems to be dead in the water.[/quote]

You didn't search [url=http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=10850]hard enough[/url], young padawan... Munt is not quite dead yet (hopefully).[/quote]

My thanks for this new information oh enlightened one, I confess that I was lax in my studies on this subject. I am both suitably humbled and extremely enlightened by this news... :lol:

Seriously though, if the Munt project is still live, and the legal issues can be sorted out, then this will be a great step forward for this project. Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on the zetafleet forum

Regards
JC
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

[quote="corpse"]I don't know if this helps but MT32 emulation works flawlessly for me. Anyway this is how I set it up

1. place the rom files in a subdirectory of scummvm. i.e. mt32
2. fire up scummvm and select options, then paths
3. click extra path then select the roms folder
4. select the audio tab, music driver: mt32.
5. press ok

That should do it, I'm using svn, but 0.91 should work.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Corpse, I will try this tomorrow and will post my results. I confess that I didn't try placing the rom files in a subdirectory, I placed tham straight into the ScummVM main directory. I will experiment tomorrow.

Incidentally, the emulation does seem to work just fine, it is the volume level of the samples that raised my original question, they are extremely quiet and as Munt doesn't use the Windows midi-mixer channel I could not find a way to boost the volume level inside the ScummVM environment.

More when I have had a chance to experiment, and thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.
Regards
JC
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

Okay, my reply as promised... also for the benefit of other readers who may come across this thread:

I have done as Corpse suggested and placed the rom images in a sub-folder, but I still have the same problem, very low volume output.

Switching ScummVM to general midi is fine, I get a balanced output on all three ScummVM outputs (music, sound effects and speech), but with mt-32 selected I get just enough output on the music output to barely move the vu-meters on my amplifier, and I have to move the music slider all the way up to maximum to achieve this. I'm having to slide the sound effect and speech right down to about 20 to balance it out as they are much louder.

Apart from the volume being extremely low it works just fine. I am unsure at this point if the problem lies with the Munt emulator or with my pc architecture, however as I mentioned in an earlier post, until the problems surrounding the Munt project are sorted I am happy enough to stay with mixed midi for now, or buy another mt-32 from ebay if one comes along at a reasonable price.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

You're correct in saying the MT32 code doesn't make use of the standard mixer. I asked that question a long time back and had confirmation from the original author that this was by design (can't recall what reason was given). The sound is quieter for me too and I suspect you'll find that it's the MT32 code at 'fault' also.

As for the project's status, I'm not so sure we'll see anything more than we've already got. The original author, Canadacow, did a fantastic job at getting the emulator off the ground and working to a large degree. Then another developer, KingGuppy, stepped in to develop "munt" which was based on Canadacow's codebase which made it's way into ScummVM. He seemed to be what the project needed - fresh blood and all that. Unfortunately something must have gone sour as Canadacow lost interest (recently revealing some reasons) Whilst both Canadacow and KingGuppy have shown they're still 'alive', I wouldn't expect any change in the situation.