A request to testers using OS X

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Koyder

A request to testers using OS X

Post by Koyder »

I am very eager to play "Goblins 3" in ScummVM for OS X and I'm sure I'm not the only one. However, the SVN build provided here does not fully support the game. Could any of you supply a more recent (> April 21) build?

I would compile an SVN build by myself, but when I try to install the required SDL package with Fink, it gives me 404 errors (even though I've configured Fink to use my proxy server).

I'd be extremely grateful if any of you could provide us with a recent build or give me a hint how to make Fink work. Thank you very much in advance!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well for starters, does Fink work with any other packages that you want to install?? If it doesn't then you haven't set Fink up correctly to use your proxy server.

All Fink does is compile and install the package for you, quickly and easily. So, check what version of SDL is on Fink, then download the source package directly from the libSDL page and then build it using Fink (sudo fink install SDL, or whatever the package is called). You may want to do the same with OGG, MPEG and any other extras that ScummVM uses.
Koyder

Post by Koyder »

Thanks for your reply, Jimbob!

I can't download anything. My proxy address is proxy.tel***n.com and the port is 3128. I've put the following line in the fink.conf file:

Code: Select all

ProxyHTTP: http://proxy.tel***n.com:3128
Is there anything else I should do?

I'll try to download the packages manually.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Koyder wrote:Thanks for your reply, Jimbob!

I can't download anything. My proxy address is proxy.tel***n.com and the port is 3128. I've put the following line in the fink.conf file:

ProxyHTTP: http://proxy.tel***n.com:3128
Is there anything else I should do?
To be honest, I haven't got a clue .... I've never used a proxy server. There's some info here about setting up Fink and proxy servers. If Fink can't download anything then there is something wrong with the setup in Fink for your proxy server.
Koyder wrote:I'll try to download the packages manually.
This should work because I copy source packages between 3 Macs and they all seem to be happy doing this, I'm using Fink as well.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Are you on an Intel or PPC mac ?
The last version I compiled was from April 15, but I can compil one with the lastest SVN code. However this will only work on an Intel Mac.

I noticed the SVN build for Mac is not updated very often. If there is a need I can maybe upload somewhere an intel build once a week.
Koyder

Post by Koyder »

Thanks for offering help, criezy, but unfortunately, I'm still using a PowerPC Mac.

I've made some progress with Fink, which all of a sudden started downloading packages. Looks like I'll be using a custom build of ScummVM soon! Yay!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Koyder wrote:Thanks for offering help, criezy, but unfortunately, I'm still using a PowerPC Mac.

I've made some progress with Fink, which all of a sudden started downloading packages. Looks like I'll be using a custom build of ScummVM soon! Yay!
Good!!

A few months ago I built a CVS/SVN version virtually every day, but it's been a long time since I last checked out the source. I hope everything works OK for you ......
Koyder

Post by Koyder »

It's no good. Fink doesn't like my proxy server, which apparently doesn't support tunelling. The weird thing is I can't download pre-compiled binary packages, but I can download source codes. But since it would take forever to compile all the necessary libraries (each of which requires a dozen additional ones), I'm afraid I'll have to pass.

Unless it's possible to compile ScummVM without the mpeg2, vorbis, etc. libraries... Is it?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

libsdl is a required library, the others aren't. So yes, you can compile a version without MPEG, MP3, OGG or FLAC support if you use the appropriate directives for compilation, but you can't skip SDL
Koyder

Post by Koyder »

Luckily, I've got SDL. How do I make the compiler skip the other libraries?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Which compiler are you using? How are you trying to build ScummVM, using Fink or some other way?
Koyder

Post by Koyder »

I've got Xcode, Fink and SDL installed. I follow the instructions in the readme file, i.e. I type "./configure" and then "make bundle" in Terminal. That's all I know, I'm afraid. As you've probably already noticed, I'm not too knowledgeable in this matter. Thank you for your patience!
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

If you do

./configure --help
It should give you a list of all the options. You just need to do ./configure followed by all the options.
Good luck!
Koyder

Post by Koyder »

I'm confused. I've typed:

./configure --disable-alsa --disable-vorbis --disable-tremor --disable-mad --disable-flac --disable-mpeg2 --disable-fluidsynth --disable-nasm
(followed by "make bundle")

Yet I still get the following error:

powerpc-apple-darwin8-g++-4.0.1: /sw/lib/libmad.a: No such file or directory
powerpc-apple-darwin8-g++-4.0.1: /sw/lib/libogg.a: No such file or directory
powerpc-apple-darwin8-g++-4.0.1: /sw/lib/libmpeg2.a: No such file or directory
Does any of you know why?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yes. The "make bundle" target does not support building w/o all those extra libs right now, as it is only meant for building release binaries which always contain all of these.

Also, you do not need *any* of these --disable-* options -- ScummVM automatically detects which libs are present and which are not; you only have to use --disable-* if you explictly do not want to use a library even though it is installed on your system.

However, the "configure" detection results are only used to control for the regular build, started via "make", not for "make bundle". So, do a simple "make", then you can run ScummVM from the command line using "./scummvm".