How to listen/view a .SAN file?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
DashLobo
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:21 pm

How to listen/view a .SAN file?

Post by DashLobo »

Hi, i was wondering how to listen to a .SAN file ?

I've openned it with ScummEx, but couldn't do nothing in terms of listening/viewing...

Can anyone help me please ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful reply
User avatar
Kaminari
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:25 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Kaminari »

DashLobo
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:21 pm

Post by DashLobo »

Hi Kaminari,

I've successfully opened the file, like i was able with ScummEx for that matter, but again, how do i play the file with Scumm Revisited ? or ScummEx too ?

I hope i'm not being difficult, because i really don't know how to listen/view this file with either suggested applications.

Everyone said that the programmer of Scumm's is the creator of that perticular file that .SAN is, so i'm in the loop now. So i'd really appreciate any kind of help, if someone can that is.

Thanks in advance for any helpful reply
Brian!

Post by Brian! »

Have you tried this?

http://scumm.mixnmojo.com/programs/sanplayer.zip

You can find this tool on http://scumm.mixnmojo.com as well.

Haven't tried it yet by my self - but it should be a .SUN Player :wink:
DashLobo
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:21 pm

Post by DashLobo »

Brian! wrote:Have you tried this?

http://scumm.mixnmojo.com/programs/sanplayer.zip

You can find this tool on http://scumm.mixnmojo.com as well.

Haven't tried it yet by my self - but it should be a .SUN Player :wink:
Hi, do you know how do i use it ? i mean each time i click on the "san_player.exe" a small dos box quickly appear and disappears right away ???

I'm a noob in need of help, so please, if you could explain a bit further, that would greatly be appreciated, also, i've tried to search docs on how to use it but finded none.

Thanks in advance
User avatar
Jimbob
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: Somewhere in the UK

Post by Jimbob »

From the sounds of it you need to open a Cmd box (Start->Run->CMD), change directory to where the san_player executable is (or put it in a directory in your PATH variable) and type san_player.exe <filename>, where <filename> is the SAN file you want to listen to.
DashLobo
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:21 pm

Post by DashLobo »

Jimbob wrote:From the sounds of it you need to open a Cmd box (Start->Run->CMD), change directory to where the san_player executable is (or put it in a directory in your PATH variable) and type san_player.exe <filename>, where <filename> is the SAN file you want to listen to.
Thanks alot, your basic tips(i'm a noob i know that is basic dos) was helpful :)

Now when i start it, the dos box give me an error:

Code: Select all

Invalid codec for frame object &#58; 47
Any idea how i can resolve this please ?
User avatar
Jimbob
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: Somewhere in the UK

Post by Jimbob »

Nope, I haven't got a clue.

Have you tried any other SAN files??
DashLobo
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:21 pm

Post by DashLobo »

Yes, i have 5 "SAN" file and tried all without success.

Thanks for your help, its really appreciated :)
User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3390
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn »

DashLobo wrote: Now when i start it, the dos box give me an error:

Code: Select all

Invalid codec for frame object &#58; 47
Any idea how i can resolve this please ?
Well, 47 is one of the valid codecs for SMUSH movies. I guess the SAN player you're using doesn't implement it.

I looked at a few seconds of the intros from The Dig, Full Throttle and The Curse of Monkey Island. The last one definitely uses codec 47, but I don't know if it's the only game to do so.
DashLobo
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:21 pm

Post by DashLobo »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Well, 47 is one of the valid codecs for SMUSH movies. I guess the SAN player you're using doesn't implement it.
First, thanks for your reply.

Please, can i ask you where can i get this codec and would i only need to put it in the San Player's folder ?

Thanks again
clem
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Post by clem »

DashLobo wrote:Please, can i ask you where can i get this codec and would i only need to put it in the San Player's folder ?
no, I think the player contains all the codecs, so to add the codec you would need to write additional code, then compile it again
User avatar
Kaminari
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:25 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Kaminari »

DashLobo wrote:I've successfully opened the file, like i was able with ScummEx for that matter, but again, how do i play the file with Scumm Revisited ?
What games are you trying to listen to?

You can listen/extract sound files from The Dig and Full Throttle with Scumm Rev 2.0 (forget about version 5.1, it's unfinished). Open the resource file DIG.LA1 or FT.LA1, look at the left subpanel and you should see a bunch of LFLF directories. Many of them contain SOUN subfolders. Expand them, click on the CREA icon (Creative Labs Voice File, aka VOC) and you'll have a couple of buttons to play with in the main panel.

Most sound files are short sound effects. In Full Throttle, you'll find the music in the last LFLF folders.
fingolfin
Retired
Posts: 1452
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Post by fingolfin »

Kaminari, he doesn't want to playback sound data from those games, he wants to play the .SAN movies files!
Post Reply